Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Please explain the whole ROM thing:

what they are
    what they do
    what they cost
    risks, etc.

Thanks!!
    As far as I know ROM = Read Only Memory.

In reference to the Treo, it's where the PDA's "operating software" is stored. I think ROM has become a term used for the "Treo's Operating Software" or, more specifically, the radio side's operating software; it's easier to say and type.

Help me out, anybody.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/23/2005 at 02:21 PM.
    Good start Perry. Let me add:

What everyone here is referring to as a rom is actually called Firmware. Firmware is software that gets stored in ROM (ReadOnlyMemory) Typically, the firmware on a device like this contains the operating system, carrier specific modifications to the operating system, radio and other software controlled hardware within the device. Firmware updates are SPECIFIC to your device and carrier. Don't use a GSM firmware on a CDMA phone and viceversa.

In a nutshell, what the Firmware updates do for you is fix problems, add features, create new problems and generate an unbelievable amount of activity on these message boards.

Cost: Free (if you don't count the value of your time.)

Risks: well, if the directions are not followed, you could turn your $600 phone into a paperweight. You could lose data. Generally, if you follow directions the updates will install witout a problem. There are a few threads here that have a procedure that is safer/better than the Palm instructions.

If your a beginner (As your questions would seem to indicate), You might want to spend some more time reading the firmware/ROM threads and get a better idea of whats going on before you tackle this.

It never hurts to ask questions before you jump in. (well, sometimes it does if you haven't searched first but thats beside the point.) There are many here that will be happy to help.

Hope this helps.

-X
    Last edited by Xathros; 06/23/2005 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Typo correx.
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Thanks Xathros!!

. . . .and generate unbelievable activity on these message boards. . ..

LOL
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    So these ROMs are free downloads that improve the 650.

Like what improvements?
    Well, lets see:

Dialpad lag removed.
    Vision connection failures eliminated
    Memory block size reduced to make nvram storage more efficient (1.08)
    More Bluetooth devices supported
    Bluetooth DialUpNetworking unlocked
    New features in Phone App (SMS Missed callers, LED Control etc)
    Possible support for higher network speeds (Unconfirmed at this point)
    Updated Versamail app (fixes some problems in the original version)

and more that I'm sure I missed.

All of the above of course is for SprintPCS CDMA 650's.

-X
    Xathros

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    Well, lets see:

Dialpad lag removed.
    Vision connection failures eliminated
    Memory block size reduced to make nvram storage more efficient (1.08)
    More Bluetooth devices supported
    Bluetooth DialUpNetworking unlocked
    New features in Phone App (SMS Missed callers, LED Control etc)
    Possible support for higher network speeds (Unconfirmed at this point)
    Updated Versamail app (fixes some problems in the original version)

and more that I'm sure I missed.

All of the above of course is for SprintPCS CDMA 650's.

-X
    That is a good description of the Updater from Palm. I think however mgauss was referring to custom ROMs like what shadowmite and others have developed.

Assuming I'm right about what mgauss was asking about then I offer this simple explanation. If I'm wrong then I'll go to the corner.

Custom ROMs are basically a version of the firmware with applications removed or added. For instance, some folks have removed VersaMail since they find no need for it and want to free the memory. I believe that a custom ROM will survive a hard reset which means you don't have to restall any application that you added to the custom ROM.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Hmmm. Good point. I didn't cover that at all. Here goes:

Custom Firmware is simply the manufactures Firmware with some of the built-in applications removed and replaced by third party applications of your choosing. This idea behind this is first to eliminate the "Dead wood" apps that we don't need and secondly free up ram by moving some of our third party apps from ram to rom. This is not possible for all third party apps but will work for the majority I believe.

There are some custom Firmwares available where bits have been taken from one carrier's firmware and spliced into anothers in an attempt to get some of the new features/fixes into a phone that hasn't had a firmware update released for it yet. This is what I would consider a higher risk update. (Geneticly modified Treo ? - or would that be Phoneticly modified...)

Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    I believe that a custom ROM will survive a hard reset which means you don't have to restall any application that you added to the custom ROM.
    Yes. the apps in a custom rom will survive a hard reset - their prefrences, however, will not.

I think that covers the basics of it. Feel free to add any thought or comments.

-X
    Last edited by Xathros; 06/23/2005 at 03:27 PM.
    Xathros

...unless you want to get into NES\SNES\GB ROM's
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    ...unless you want to get into NES\SNES\GB ROM's
    Well, considering the forum, I think I was on topic.

-X
    Xathros

Well, considering the forum, I think I was on topic.

-X
    I know, but I had to throw a "monkey' wrench into the mix...

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I know, but I had to throw a "monkey' wrench into the mix...
    Hehe

Troll count must be down today...

-X
    Xathros

Hehe

Troll count must be down today...

-X
    Yep...a bit too quiet today. I need a new "What is this blinkie flashing snowflake" thread to plunder.

hahahaha.
    Xathros