1.    #1  
    I've got a Cingular Treo 650, with the unlimited data plan. I downloaded the trial version of Mergic VPN, but so far have been unable to connect to any PTP VPN servers.

I read a previous thread that mentioned that I would need to call my carrier and request to be transfered to a 'special' network that allows GRE packets.

The first Cingular person told me to download their Connection Manager, but I quickly found out that is just for laptop connections.

The second person told me to talk to my IT person and that Cingular has nothing to do with VPN connectivity.

Grrrrr.

What's next?
    I use PalmVNC and Mergic on the SprintPCS network. I have a link for a step by step setup at home that I'll post later.............same Bat time, same Bat channel

Doh, I'm one day ahead of myself.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    You probably need to setup a VNC client first. Check this link out, it was very informative for me:

http://palmvnc2.free.fr/vpn.php

And here's another good resource:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=palmvnc

Hope this helps. Questions? Shoot.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks pda. My problem is that every time I try to connect to a VPN server (I have several, all of them work with other clients) I get the following error message from Mergic:

Error: no server config response, possible firewall or NAT block (0x870E)

I just found that Mergic has a FAQ on this: http://www.mergic.com/vpnFAQ.php#0x870E

They are saying that I need to get my ISP (Cingular, in this case) to put me on a network that doesn't have NAT and that doesn't block GRE packets. The problem is that the dorks over at Cingular's customer support don't have a clue.

What's especially frusterating, is that I was told repeatedly (here on TC) that getting Cingular's MediaNet would definitely have a NAT and VPNs would be impossible, but supposedly the Unlimited Data connect (which costs a lot more) would give me a true internet connection without the blocking. So here I've been paying $40/month since February and come to find out that I still am being blocked by Cingular.

Has anyone successfully had this issue resolved by Cingular?
    Go to network prefences then hit options->view log, it should tell you your phone's IP address.

Sprint doesn't use NAT, when I do this I get the address 68.x.x.x (floats), and when I sniff my home connection this is the same IP address I see on the wire when I connect with things other than a web browser (the web browser uses a proxy).

I bet when you look at your IP address, you will see that you have a 10.x.x.x address (a NATted address), which is known to have problems with things like tunnels, especially IPSEC which uses your IP address in part of it's authentication (AH I think), not sure about PPTP).

Please excuse my SIG, it's real old and I'm too lazy to change it.
    ----------------------------------------
    mk3cn4 uses a Treo 600 with ReqWireless Web Browser (others are useless IMO), Snappermail, Xiino, PalmVNC... and is a big infone fan. Cheaper and magnatudes better than Sprint's 411 ripoff, www.infone.com.
  6.    #6  
    I dug up an old thread that had me change my User Name from WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM to ISP>CINGULARGPRS.COM, and also change the APN from wap.cingular to isp.cingular.

Bingo. VPN now works.

The thread warned that my Password would also need to change, and to contact Cingular to have them update my account and give me the password, but evidently that wasn't necessary in my case. It just worked.
    Post the thread.
    jszbody - that's exactly what you need to do to use Mergic - switch to ISP ........ but there are some data services that won't work using ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM - GoodLink for example only works with WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM - so you're forced to switch back and forth ...... GoodLink and Cingular are aware of the issue but have ignored fixing so far ......