1.    #1  
    I had the unlimited data plan but cancelled it because I don't use the web that much. What steps can I do to ensure that I won't unnecessarily use data and receive a high bill?
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    I use TrafficStat by normsoft to keep up with my data usage.
    Remember email is data traffic, as well . . . . . . .

You may find (if you have a reaonable monthly unlimited option) that you are better off with the unlimited than a pay as you go plan. . . .

Cheers, Perry
    I am still a little confused. I am using the 650 on Verizon...I know when the green arrows are on that means Im sending or recieving data, but what about when it's showing just gray arrows? I only get email when I want to, but is it ok to leave the main connection established so it retrieves email quicker? Will I still recieve all calls? And am I using data usage if I dont disconnect fully?
    Even limited use of retrieving and sending e-mails is going to cost you more than the unlimited plan. At least on Sprint. Do not know the cost of Verizon plans but I guess that will also be the case. Only way I would go per use is if I retrieved e-mails on an emergency basis only as opposed to regularly. Grey arrows are cool, green are uncool in your case. PS. make sure you keep things like Versamail autosync off.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I have the VZW 650 as well but your usage indicators don't sound like mine. My LED has 5 scenarios. First being nothing at all where the radio is off, second being a flahing green meaning the radio is on, third is orange where it shows that there is some type of usage going on between a phone call and data and that is easy to figure out as to what type is going on, fourth is a solid green light meaning the battery is full after a charge, and fifth is red which shows it's charging.

I find what uses the most usage is checking web-based email because you have to doanload the messages as well as the page images. Get a stand alone email app, don't use wireless sync, try to use palm-centric websites when browsing, maybe increase your web cache so your most visited pages save their images to the memory and and not downloading apps or ringtones while online should keep your usage reasonable.

Also, talk your way to the highest MB plan possible, the best plan I could get was 20MB for $24.99. 20 MB is quite a bit of data for the treo to use up in one month with moderate use.
    OUCH! Unlimited for $10 or $15/mo sounds like a better deal to me.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JmakVR6
    I am still a little confused. I am using the 650 on Verizon...I know when the green arrows are on that means Im sending or recieving data, but what about when it's showing just gray arrows? I only get email when I want to, but is it ok to leave the main connection established so it retrieves email quicker? Will I still recieve all calls? And am I using data usage if I dont disconnect fully?

You do not pay for "conncection time" you only pay for kb of data transmitted. So if you have email setup but never received or sent during a month and never went to the Internet -- your usage and charge should be zero on a pay as you go plan. . . .
    I have the sprint unlimited plan...I found out how much kb I used due to a billing error (happens atleast 1 every 3 months with sprint.)...I'm a pretty heavy user: emailing programs to myself, surfing 30 minutes daily minimum and I came out around 26 mB last month. There are websites that filter out uncessesary stuff from websites like www.skweezer.net You could give that a try.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    If I had to worry about data usage, I would never use it.
    Yea I have been using it a decent amount since I got it 2 weeks ago and I've used 2MB so far. Only checking email maybe once a day and barely any web just to show people etc so far. I think i will be ok with 5MB, 20MB would be more than enough.

cadams how were you about to negotiate 20MB for the 5MB price?

My radio is always on but sometimes after checking email, the gray arrows next to my signal indicator is still there meaning it hasnt fulling disconnected. Just wondering if that uses up data which I am pretty sure it doesnt..
    Oh, and hopefully Verizon will lower their prices soon to compete with Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by JmakVR6
    Yea I have been using it a decent amount since I got it 2 weeks ago and I've used 2MB so far. Only checking email maybe once a day and barely any web just to show people etc so far. I think i will be ok with 5MB, 20MB would be more than enough.

cadams how were you about to negotiate 20MB for the 5MB price?

My radio is always on but sometimes after checking email, the gray arrows next to my signal indicator is still there meaning it hasnt fulling disconnected. Just wondering if that uses up data which I am pretty sure it doesnt..
    only actual kbs transmitted . . . .
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I read a press release on PDA plans that the lowest MB would be raised to 10 MB for $24.99 then there would be unlimited for $44.99. I then saw some people here get 20 MB for $24.99 and I called and asked for it and they did it. the link for the 10 MB release is here: http://news.vzw.com/news/2005/05/pr2005-05-16.html and I called the day I read about it and upped my wife's 600 from 5 to 10 MB and I think they are doing it for all customers, not just Enterprise as long as you ask. I have no idea where the 20 for $25 came from but I have it.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    If I had to worry about data usage, I would never use it.
    Well yeah, the question is, how to prevent inadvertant data usage. For example, I heard that Battery Doctor is useful. Any other suggestions would be great.