1.    #1  
    After much agonizing i chose the treo 650 because there was a sale at compusa recently for 349 with new sprint activation. Although i was always a pocket pc person i was once a palm os user in its palm IIIx days. That old green amber back light was great. Anyway, i am totally happy with my new treo. I loaded documents to go premium and off I go writing word progress notes for work daily. I have a couple of questions for you treo experts:

1: Is there a third party software that enables me to play windows media audio files stored on my sd card?

2: Whats the most compatible bluetooth headset? Motorola was horrible.

3: Occasionally i may want to play with handwriting recognition. What works with the treo 650?

Any other tips would be helpful... Thanks..
    1) No. But right now TCPMP will play WMV without the audio. You shouldn't use WMA anway, convert them to ogg-vorbis or MP3.

2) See the BT forum section, there are many replies to this question in the quest for the ultimate BT headset.

3) Can't help you there, no idea why someone would want to use handwriting over a QWERTY keyboard.

Other than that, browse the forum, tons of good info there.
    Pocket Tunes will play *.wma this is a new features in 3.0

I do not see anything wrong with wma's the compression is better.

I personally use mp3's over the years I have ripped all my CD's to mp3's and just never got around to converting them.
    If you need internal memory room on your new Treo using Docs To Go, do not forget the DataViz Tech Tool to move the DTG program files to your SD card, saving 4MB of space. . . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna

I personally use mp3's over the years I have ripped all my CD's to mp3's and just never got around to converting them.
    Good call, I had completely forgot about PTunes, for some reason I was thinking streaming WMA, not locally cached.

PTunes won't play WMA's that have DRM associated with them though.
    Welcome back to the Palm community. For BT headphone, I have heard good thing about Palmone's own BT headphone, and it is very reasonablely priced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna

There's no point in converting mp3's to anything, you'll just loose quality, even if you convert them to ogg. I'm not a big fan of wma because it's sole purpose was to introduce drm to music for ms' profit. I only encode to ogg, so I make sure that all my devices (phone, dap, music software) all support it. I also only buy music encoded as oggs.

The only way drm succeeds is if consumers accept it and start to depend on it.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I own both the phones, and let me tell you. The ppc6600 isn't all that great. It's big, not easy to use as a phone and not that practicle. I feel like i'm brining a brick. After about two days of use i switched back to using my trusty ol treo. I even tried upgrading some programs on the ppc and it still didn't meet my standards.
    It is interesting, the stereotype of the ppc being a pda with a phone and the treo being a phone with a pda holds very true.

My 6600 "today screen" used to have a complete ticker with local, national, world and sports news,(scrolling) 5 day forcast with animated icons, upcoming appointments (more than one) and also direct links to movie showtimes, reviews, and other entertainment crap.

The treo just handles the basics, but it works great as a phone, and the battery is fantastic.

The ppc will run circles around it inregards to raw power but most of us dont need it.

Two different devices for different applications and people. I went back to the treo after 5 weeks with the ppc.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    It is interesting, the stereotype of the ppc being a pda with a phone and the treo being a phone with a pda holds very true.

My 6600 "today screen" used to have a complete ticker with local, national, world and sports news,(scrolling) 5 day forcast with animated icons, upcoming appointments (more than one) and also direct links to movie showtimes, reviews, and other entertainment crap.

The treo just handles the basics, but it works great as a phone, and the battery is fantastic.

The ppc will run circles around it inregards to raw power but most of us dont need it.

Two different devices for different applications and people. I went back to the treo after 5 weeks with the ppc.

-rob
    I disagree about Treo just handling the basics. There may not be a perfect single app out there that does it exactly the way you described, but there are apps that do all of that (several combine multiples of what you listed) and the Treo has no problem handling it. It's just a matter of someone actually writing the code to do it.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    I returned my PPC 6600 and got the T650 and I am thrilled. The 6600 would have been a better PDA IF it had worked consistently which it never did (very buggy). But I need a phone first and a PDA second and there is no comparison on that score. THe only thing I miss is the Verizon EVDO which was stunningly fast.

I recommend the Logitech Mobile Pro headset. I have had it for two weeks and it is great. A slight lag in switching over, but good sound quality, easy to use, 100% compatible, and VERY long battery life.

Since you are new to the Treo, I recommend KeySUite for sync. It is much better (and much more expensive) then the other solutions I tried.

Warning: Don't plug your T650 into a surge protector. I fried two of them in one afternoon that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    I disagree about Treo just handling the basics. There may not be a perfect single app out there that does it exactly the way you described, but there are apps that do all of that (several combine multiples of what you listed) and the Treo has no problem handling it. It's just a matter of someone actually writing the code to do it.
    Your right, the treo does more than the basics. However, what I described re the ppc was the tip of the ice-berg. From a pda standpoint it does run circles around the 650.

Hey I went back to the 650, so I am on your side. but you cant discount the raw power of the 6600.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Dunno... I had a 6600 for a while there and didn't like it as a PDA or a phone. The Pocket IE was lacking, even worst then Blazer when it came to rendering... The battery was horrid, the device was slower than the Treo at drawing screens. It did a fairly good job of opening Office documents, but that's about the only real positive thing I could think of...

This is also going back a ways, so I may be forgetting some of the finer points. I was excited to get it because I believe PPC will be the future... But after using it for a bit it was clear to me that the future of PPC was still a ways off. I forgot that it takes 4 to 6 attempts for MS to get it right.

Just opinion though... And an old one at that.
    Sprint Treo 700wx on Minneapolis network
    HDTV event and product coverage with industry interviews at TechnologyEvangelist.com
    I was dissapointed after a while as well, but more from an integration point of view. not having hotlinks, threaded sms, etc were tough to adjust too.

My experience was different though, at least after I had tweaked it a bit. My 6600 was far faster at rendering web pages even when using pocket plus and viewing landscape. Plus a lot of blazers limitations (ie paypal) drive me nuts. I could do just about anything with pocket ie.

To bad the construction was shoddy, the battery sucked, and the form factor was just a bit to big.

-rob
    I think the form factor is what keeps the treo line going strong. Couple of improvements ...

(I hate it when it cuts off my post when surfing on the mobile site!!!!! )
    Last edited by t2gungho; 06/24/2005 at 11:21 PM.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

...and I will be set.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve