Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    I just spoke with a representative at TomTom and she stated that they got approximately 400 units in and will be shipping them out to vendors in the next day or so. She recommended that I try to get the TomTom 5 from Semsons in about a week or so...lets hope so!
    Is there a way to make the GPS know that my car is facing forwards. Sometimes when I start the GPS it thinks that I'm backwards and asks me to turn around, but I'm actually on the other direction. Any fix for this?

Thanks,

Al
    Just received my TT5. When I insert the Application CD I get the following error:

Could not find Palm Installer library InstAide.dll

then the program says:
    Your computer does not support the devices for which there are applications in this package. Please install the supporting software first and run Setup again. Setup will now end.

It then shuts down.

Anyone know why this wont install?

EDIT:
    I think TomTom is looking for the Palm Installer on C:
    I installed Palm on D:
    for some reason it cant find the Palm Installer, I have never had an application fail to find an app on the D drive.....whats going on here?????

The InstAide.dll exists on my PC
    Last edited by digitalfx; 07/08/2005 at 08:52 PM.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Ordered my TT5 from Buy.com. Came two days later. It includes the Tom Tom bluetooth receiver. Very happy with purchase. This thing is great!
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Is there a way to make the GPS know that my car is facing forwards. Sometimes when I start the GPS it thinks that I'm backwards and asks me to turn around, but I'm actually on the other direction. Any fix for this?

Thanks,

Al
    I've never had this problem, but I would think it would fix itself as soon as you start moving.
    Solved my install issues.

TT Nav 5 REQUIRES that the Palmone software be installed on the C: drive.

I use my C drive for the operating system and the D drive for all my applications.

TT5 cannot find D:\Program Files\palmOne....it will only find this on C:

THIS IS PRETTY LAME!!!!!

I had to install Palm software to a new computer (on C, then the TT5 software install went like a breeze.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    i have tomtom 4.1 in my possesion and i need to know if i can install it on the treo 650. can i?
    is there any differences in detail in the included maps. Regions vs Individual States?
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Quote Originally Posted by question
    i have tomtom 4.1 in my possesion and i need to know if i can install it on the treo 650. can i?
    sorry that was lame. I have 4.4 in my possesion and when I install V5 on the Treo 650 I get a flashing screen that says "armcode not allocated". I've tried reseting like others but it helped nothing.

can i use my V4.4 maps on tomtom V5?
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc
    Here's what I did to get it working:

1. Delete both "start" and "CN" from internal memory, if they are there.
    2. Copy "start" and "CN" back into internal memory.
    3. Remove "CN" from the SD card, if it is present.
    4. Edit the creator ID of "CN" (in internal memory) and change it to "xxxx"
    5. Soft reset.

Not sure why this is necessary, but it worked for me.
    Thanks, I tried this and now I have two icons:
    1. Contacts
    2. Navigator

Navigator brings me to the app, Contacts brings me to a contacts screen, but all the addresses are blank. The names are there, but no addresses.

Any ideas?
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    I received my TT5 friday and after a few bumps in the road during the initial install (see earlier posts) I got it up and running fairly easily.

I hve owned over a dozen GPS units over the last 4+ years and currently have a Garmin StreetPilot 2610 and Garmin 60CS handheld.

Today I went on a trip about 1 hour away to a rural address and did a side-by-side with the Garmin 2610 Street Pilot. Here are a few brief observations, I will try and write a detailed review soon:

1. Unit starts up very quickly

2. both units selected completely different routes. Neither was perfect, but I followed the TT5 route. The Garmin never would pull this route and kept "recalculating" to get me on a better route. The Garmin actually selected the best route. The Garmin found the exact address, TT5 could not, but gave me an option about a 1/2 mile away.

3. The TT5 has very limited turn guidance, in most cases the warnings come at the last minute. The Garmin has the best turn guidance, with constant and early warnings.

4. Even though the Garmin screen is 3x larger, I didnt have any problems with the Treo 650 screen size.

5. The Garmin is far superior in many ways, but considering the Garmin is a 5th generation street pilot (I have had every generation of the SP) and cost more, I think the TT5 is a worthy competitor.

6. The one feature that amazes me on the TT5 is the ability to put the GPS receiver in a place with and ubstructed view of the sky. Every Garmin unit needs a constant CLEAR view of the sky to function. Traveling in large cities are a challange because of the tall buildings, even going thru a tunnel you lose signal. With the TT5 you only need a clear view for the few minutes it takes to lock to the sats, after this you can put it in your pocket....AMAZING!!!

7. Overall, the TT5 is a pretty amazing product, very accurate and simple to use. After the initial install I was on the road using the device in MINUTES.

8. TT needs to get the install problems worked out quickly.

9. I still cant route to an address in my contacts, but hopefully I can get that worked out soon.

10. Map detail appears on par with Garmin data

11. If you install multiple maps (regions) from the CD's, you can only access one map at a time, so routing from map to map does not appear to be poossible. With the Garmin I can create a route from New York to California. This could present problems, but I havent spent enough time with it to figure out a workaround.
    Last edited by digitalfx; 07/09/2005 at 06:22 PM.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    i ordered the TT Nav 5 from tigergps on friday. they assured me that there was a big shipment coming in on monday or tuesday. we will see. anyway, what is the best in car holder for the treo 650? I've heard good things about the tomtom holders but there website sucks so bad i can't even tell if they make one.
    proclip is one of the best. I have one and love it.
    http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...oryid=&p_year=
    I use the Smartphone Experts Group holder:http://store.treocentral.com/content.../3-78--302.htm It lets you put it on the vent or suctoin it to the windshield. It also alows access to the headphone jack and the charger input. I use the rugged charger http://store.treocentral.com/content.../5-47--246.htm because TT keeps the screen on while you are using it.
    What happens if you are using TT5 and get a phone call?
    Quote Originally Posted by camels1993
    What happens if you are using TT5 and get a phone call?
    answer it
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    anyone mangaged to get the Tomtom 5 to work with the CK3300 BT GPS, it doesnt seem to be compatible
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalfx
    11. If you install multiple maps (regions) from the CD's, you can only access one map at a time, so routing from map to map does not appear to be poossible. With the Garmin I can create a route from New York to California. This could present problems, but I havent spent enough time with it to figure out a workaround.
    Tomtom has a contiguous map of the US for their stand alone units but not for Navigator 5. You have to use the Major Roads map (I chose the large 220kb version - there's also a smaller one) to route across regional maps. Once you arrive at your destination you would load the regional map for detail of that area.

TomTom claims a special compression to enable the contiguous US map, 800kb total, on their stand alone units and, indeed, it would require about twice that capacity to install the entire US coverage plus Major Roads from the CDs.

Either Tomtom wants to promote their stand alone units over Navigator 5 or there's something about the higher compression map that can't be done on a Palm device. It'd be interesting to know the answer to that question.
    what is the best in car holder for the treo 650?
    proclip, hands down the best by a huge margin.

They have individual brackets designed precisely for your exact make, model and year of vehicle that you own.

They also carry a holder specifically designed to hold the treo 600/650.

Buy both. You will be extremely happy once you receive them and see how well they work. Great engineering. Great looks. Relatively expensive, but well worth it in my book.

www.proclipusa.com
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    Does anyone know a soloution to my problem of 'armcode not allocated'????
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast