Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    The install cd was not working from the cd drive. It kept looking for a "TOMTOMGO.mnu" file that did not exist. So, I copied all the contents to the hard drive, and ran it from there, in which it worked. Installation then went as advertised, except I also got the sync error that others have been getting. I installed the maps to "card reader" and that worked without problem. I also installed the female UK voice (ah yes, something about those accents) without problem.
    I had it set for driving home from work (yes I know the way :P )and I stopped by the grocery store. The store is in the opposite direction from home. It kept telling me to "Find a place to turn around" Hehe, good thing it's not a real person or she'd be really annoyed with me.
    "Where're you going, stupid?!! Home is the other way!!"
    Anyone figured out how to route to addresses in the Treo 650 address book? I thought this was one of the promised "new features," but I don't see it referenced in the manual, and I couldn't find any way to do it in the UI...
  4.    #104  
    Two mysteries:

1) Pressing 5-way/Right causes the voice to give information about the next turn some of the time. At other times, it just puts up a volume slider. What's the controlling difference?

2) Searching for a POI sometimes starts with where I am now, but most often it starts at my Home address. I'm 100 miles from home, but the first Home Depot it lists is back there, ignoring the one 5 miles from my currentl location. What's going on here?
    OK - I figured out the address book navigating thing. Looks like Launcher X was not handling the "Contacts Navigator" app properly. (I *was* able to finally get it working under Launcher X -- if anyone is interested in the details, let me know.)

Now it seems to be working fine. Really beats having to write down and re-type the address every time!
    Quote Originally Posted by kashif
    I can't seem to add any voices either. I've installed the two voices like 5 times and everytime I get into TOM TOM and do a change voice it says it does not exist. help!
    kashif, I solved my voice problem. It took 2 seperate workarounds, here's what I did...

Step 1: Get the app running properly on the SD card-

Since I was having problems installing the app onto the SD and getting it to run properly, I had to do this manually.

Using the TomTom CD, I told the install process to install the app onto the SD card in my Treo, then Hotsynced. When I would insert the SD card I would only see the app for the Contacts Navigator. The actual TomTom program runs off of a file called 'start.prc' (as best I can tell) and this was not being placed in the proper folder in my SD card for the Treo to recognize it. So, using FileProg, I copied the file start.prc which was originaly placed in the folder /Palm and pasted it into /Palm/Launcher. Now when I browse the SD card from the Home screen, I can launch the main Navigator progam and it seems to run fine.

Step 2: Get the voices to be recognized-

Now that the program was running from the SD card (as recommended by TomTom support) I had to get the program to recognize the voice prompt files. When I tried to install them from the CD, my Hotsync log would state that it copied usam.cab (for the voice Richard) to the SD card, and I guess that was supposed to work- but it didn;t. So, on with the investigation...

I was able to connect to the TomTom server from my unlocked T-mobile GPRS plan by logging into the "download extras" menu in Navigator. From here, I was able to download a voice file and see if THAT worked. Here's what i found out:

The voice prompt files need to be unzipped from the .cab files they are contained in on tha CD and placed in a folder named 'voices' on my SD card. NOW they are recognized by Navigator.

Here's a file tree of what my SD card looks like with everything seemingly fully operational so far (except I didn;t install any POI's yet...)

SD main directory:
    /New_England _and_Mid_Atlantic_Map/[all map files and some traffic update files]

/Palm/Launcher/cn.prc
    /Palm/Launcher/start.prc

/TomTom/SdkFileCalls/tomtomnavigationserver.palm.0.1...

/TomTom/data.chk
    /TomTom/data07.chk
    /TomTom/data07.vif
    /TomTom/data09.chk
    /TomTom/data09.vif
    /TomTom/Munich.bin
    /TomTom/setup.dat

/schemes/[downloaded color schemes].clr

-Only loaded 'Richard'
    /voices/000VOICE.000
    /voices/000DATA09.001
    /voices/000DATA09.002
    /voices/data09.chk
    /voices/data09.vif

I notice the files data09.chk and data09.vif are BOTH in the voices folder and in the TomTom folder... I wonder if the ones in the TomTom folder are duplicates that I can delete?
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
    Yep you can delete em or just move them all into \TomTom, except for maps of course.
    This definitely makes it easier to manage the files on the SD card. Are the TomTom download servers slow for anybody? Seems to take a hour just to download a 3 kb color scheme.
    I have confirmed that when my treo resets the activation code nned to be re-entered. I'd make sure you have the code for your region written down somewhere in your treo, memos or somewhere and in your car in case that file ever gets messed up and you're in the middle of nowhere and your gps won't activate.
    tangible.
    If you want to find a poi in the place you're in, use Depart from GPS position and the POI in City as the destination. You'll have to go to the advanced planning to do this though. I was getting rfustrated too. It wanted me to go home 25 miles to go to the "closest" store. hehe
    I'm getting ready to order mine, and was looking for the best place to go, and it seems Semsons (http://www.semsons.com) is probably the best deal right now. You can get a bundled package that gives you the choice between a couple of different BT GPS receivers, as well as the TomTom Nav 5 Software, AC Charger, DC Charger, and a free vent mount all for only $248.99. Seems like this is a real STEAL!! However, I don't see an option anywhere to actually get the BT GPS receiver that would normally come with the TomTom 5 package. Anyone know if its better to try and find that BT GPS receiver, or go with the ones offered on Semson's site, like the Holux GPSlim236 or the GlobalSat BT-338. Also, anyone know if this really is a good deal, or am I missing something here? Thanks!

- marc
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc
    OK - I figured out the address book navigating thing. Looks like Launcher X was not handling the "Contacts Navigator" app properly. (I *was* able to finally get it working under Launcher X -- if anyone is interested in the details, let me know.)

Now it seems to be working fine. Really beats having to write down and re-type the address every time!
    Please give us the details.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    MoseGiganticus,

It worked!!! Thanks so much!

I used tt 5 this whole weekend.. navigated from connecticut to toronto without having any hard copies of directions. This thing is a pure genius.. got on time everywhere and did not get lost even for a second.... even used it while I was walking to find restaurants and stuff. Excellent product!!! every penny worth spent!
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc

dzenc, I'm a TT and LX user. I'd like to know what you did...
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalfx
    Please give us the details.
    Here's what I did to get it working:

1. Delete both "start" and "CN" from internal memory, if they are there.
    2. Copy "start" and "CN" back into internal memory.
    3. Remove "CN" from the SD card, if it is present.
    4. Edit the creator ID of "CN" (in internal memory) and change it to "xxxx"
    5. Soft reset.

Not sure why this is necessary, but it worked for me.
    First, let me start by saying that TomTom 5 is AWESOME. A must have gadget for the Treo 650 or any PDA with BT.

Installation:
    I heard a lot of people having issues during the installation and I had issues too. Why? Well, I started with the Maps CD and I couldn't get it to install. So, I renamed the Exchange folder to Exchange_old then I inserted the Application CD and it worked. I believe the issue is not the software but the user

Configuration:
    Very smooth setup. I love how TomTom designed the wizards. I have not seen anything better than TomTom wizards for the Palm. Within minutes I was able to go for a test ride.

On the Road:
    I really don't think an AC adaptor is a must have for me. Most of the time I will be using my TomTom will be in the car and I have 2 cigarrete outlets so an AC adpator would have been nice, but not a must.
    A good tip for starting TomTom will be to turn on the GPS receiver first and then launch the TomTom program. It seems to work faster this way.
    Once on the road it is amazing how the map tells you exactly where you are going. I can see the street names on the map just at the same exact time that I'm crossing them. I wasn't expected that much accuracy. Another nice feature is the ability to remap directions after you lose a turn. The first time I use it I lost my left turn, but I was able to resume from there.

Is the Treo 650 screen too small to work as a GPS?
    For me it is fine and it works. However, it would have been even nicer to have a bigger screen.

Al
    Last edited by TreoRock; 07/06/2005 at 09:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by winter
    Yes I have this issue also (see earlier post). I think of all the quirks this one bugs me the most. I also have not figured out the necessary sequence. And in my case turning the gps unit on first and allowing it to get a fix does nothing to help TomTom pair up with it. If anyone does figure out the necessary sequence, please share!
    winter

I'm seeing this problem also. I believe it's not caused by lack of GPS lock, but more of an instantiation of the receiver over the bluetooth connection. I say this because when it's in the "can't find GPS" state for a long while and I turn off the phone and turn it back on again, I've had it amazingly find the GPS instantly and I doubt it's just coincidence. I speculate that turning off the phone and back on again forces the phone to go out and look for bluetooth devices. There are at least two others that are claiming the same problem so I think this is a real bug.
    People are saying they are using TT5 now. I am currently using TT Navigator 4.42 on my Treo 650. Where is the upgrade available?
    I can confirm that TomTom made good on their word and I DID in fact reciever an AC adapter FREE of charge yesterday. I simply call TomTom in their US office, told them that my package did not include an AC charger and they took my address.

I charged up my MKII GPS reciever with it last night- AWESOME!
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Grindell
    People are saying they are using TT5 now. I am currently using TT Navigator 4.42 on my Treo 650. Where is the upgrade available?
    Not til end of July at earliest. TomTom originally said the upgrade would be available mid-May and they have pushed back the date ever since. So if you believe it will be this month, I've got a bridge to sell ya'...

See here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ade#post726110
    I've noticed people selling TomTom 5 with US, Europe, UK maps on 3 dvds for around $50 with shipping on ebay. Is this legit? Is it worth the money, I'm currently using mapopolis.

This upgrade coming out at the end of July, will it have newer maps than the TomTom 5 version already available?