Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    After installing the Nav5 software I would get the following error after every hotsync:

OK Install TomTom Maps 1.50
    Unable to create handheld database. SyncCreateDB returned 4019.
    HotSync Exchange synchronization failed

Protocol Error: The requested command is not supported (4019)
    I called TomTom and this was the solution they gave me.

Go to C:/Program Files/palmOne/[User Folder]
    Rename the Exchange folder to Exchange_old
    Hotsync again- this should solve the problem.

Well, I'm no longer getting the eror 4019. I'm not sure if it actually caused a problem or not, but it was annoying to get the 'Hotsync Error Log' window popping up after every hotsync.

Now, for another issue. None of my 3rd party apps seems to be syncing after installing TomTom. All the Palm Endorsed apps sync fine (including DocsToGo), but SplashID and PocketQuicken do not show up in the Hotsync Log File at all.

I tried reinstalling the conduit for Pocket Quicken to see if that would reregister the connection, but no such luck.

Any ideas?
    -Matt
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
    OK, solved my 3rd party application sync problems, but not very slick.

After Hotsyncing the SECOND time after reinstalling the Pocket Quicken Conduit, the data synced.

As for Splash ID, I reinstalled the Desktop files by running the .exe,then tried to hotsync, that didn't get the information onto my treo, but it DID create duplicate entries from the treo to my SlashID desktop. I deleted all of the duplicate entries (very carefully) then deleted the SplashID application from my Treo. After I hotsynced again, I had to type in the reg number for Splash ID on my treo and all the proper data is there.

Sheesh.
  3.    #83  
    Good news about the free AC adaptor, but I didn't read these posts until after I spent $25 on a cig-lighter to AC adaptor from Radio Shack. I think I'll hold on to it until someone reports actually receiving their free adaptor from TomTom.

After using my TomTom for a few days, here are my main issues:

- When starting up, the program often claims there's no GPS unit available. Some combination of power cycling the GPS and restarting TomTom on the Treo makes it start working again, but I haven't got the necessary sequence identified yet.

- The status lights on the GPS are so dim that they are completely useless in daylight when the unit is placed on the dashboard.

- When I tap the lower-left corner of the screen to repeat the next direction, she always says "Exit ahead". My other GPS units (an old Garmin and an Acura MDX built-in) say something useful like "Exit right in 4 miles".

- The voice can't say road names. Few GPS units can say alphabetic names, but many will at least say the numeric route numbers.

- The name of the exit or next street is in tiny letters as a turn approaches. It should be HUGE. (Is there a preference for this?)

- There doesn't seem to be a way to examine a POI in detail before routing to it. This evening I wanted to go to Compusa in Woburn, MA from Boston. The screen showed me three Compusa's with no other information. I had to route to each one in order to figure out which was which. (Yes, you midwesterners, we DO have a lot of computer stores around here, but we don't have Frye's, so life isn't all that cool....)

- The five-way can navigate through most screens, but selecting an entry often seems to require touching the screen. The center button doesn't do anything (for me).

I would be happy to hear of any workarounds to the above. Lacking that, some sympathy.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangible
    Lacking that, some sympathy.
    Ummm, earlier you said you were a Red Sox/Patriots fan. Let's see, World Series, Super Bowl....I live in Seattle. We have the WNBA champions, or so I'm told. Beyond that, Sonics in '79 when I was in first grade. You get no sympathy from me.
  5.    #85  
    Point taken. But there's been a complication: If you're following the news, you know that the owner of the Patriots just had his Super Bowl ring stolen by Vladimir Putin. So now we're going to have to win another one.

Returning reluctantly to the point of this thread:
    I have a new concern. The power supply is plugged in, but the yellow light isn't on. Does that mean it's a) fully charged or b) dead? (The green light does go on when I push the button.)

After using my TomTom for a few days, here are my main issues:

- When starting up, the program often claims there's no GPS unit available. Some combination of power cycling the GPS and restarting TomTom on the Treo makes it start working again, but I haven't got the necessary sequence identified yet.

- When I tap the lower-left corner of the screen to repeat the next direction, she always says "Exit ahead". My other GPS units (an old Garmin and an Acura MDX built-in) say something useful like "Exit right in 4 miles".

I would be happy to hear of any workarounds to the above. Lacking that, some sympathy.
    Your first problem can be solved by turning on the GPS and making sure it has a satelite fix before you launch TomTom. This solution works for me.

For me, TomTom (using lori's voice) does say right turn in 100 meters... try changing the voice recordings?
    Quote Originally Posted by winter
    To answer the question about what happens when a call is received. You can answer the call and it pops you out of the TomTom application. After you hang up you can simply relaunch TomTom and it picks up where it left off.

My Bluetooth headset (Sony HBH660) does not work as long as I am using the GPS unit and running TomTom. If a call comes in, I have to answer it using the phone. That sort of sucks, but as I understand it that is a lack of function because of the bluetooth 1.1 version that is on the Treo. So I don't think it is possible to use a bluetooth headset and the TomTom at the same time. Does anyone have a different take on that?

winter
    When I answer a call in TT (V4 and 5), TT will be relaunched automagically. Hm..

The Treos does not support simutaniously communicating with mulitple devices, its not the bluetooth specifications (if i remember correctly). I know my broadcom BT dongle can talk to my laptop and treo at the same time.
  8.    #88  
    "For me, TomTom (using lori's voice) does say right turn in 100 meters... try changing the voice recordings?"

To be clear, I get specifics like that when the turn is coming up and the voice is triiggered automatically. I was talking about what happens when I touch the screen in the lower-left corner to force it to speak earlier. It's then that I only get the generic "Exit ahead" phrase.
    My TomTom 5 is on the way, but it was going to be used with my Dad's Axim X3 which supposly had BlueTooth. However, yesterday I found out that it just had the BT logo on the top and BT options in the menus, but there was no BT hardware. I called Dell and they confirmed that some of them have and others don't. Now, my wife thinks that the Treo screen is too small to be a car GPS, so she is saying that we should return it. I was all excited about this GPS, but I don't know if I should keep it and use it with my Treo.
    What do you guys think? Is the Treo screen too small for a car GPS? I'm going to make my wife read your answers so we can make a decision.

Thanks,

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    My TomTom 5 is on the way, but it was going to be used with my Dad's Axim X3 which supposly had BlueTooth. However, yesterday I found out that it just had the BT logo on the top and BT options in the menus, but there was no BT hardware. I called Dell and they confirmed that some of them have and others don't. Now, my wife thinks that the Treo screen is too small to be a car GPS, so she is saying that we should return it. I was all excited about this GPS, but I don't know if I should keep it and use it with my Treo.
    What do you guys think? Is the Treo screen too small for a car GPS? I'm going to make my wife read your answers so we can make a decision.

Thanks,

Al
    I had that same fear too. Was the screen too small? I run Tom Tom Nav 4 bluetooth and I can honestly say that I have no problem with it. Tom Tom for the Treo is specifically designed from small screens like our Treo. There is, at times, a lot of data thrown at you but if you place it in a comfortable position on your dash, you can reference it without taking your eyes too far off the road. The voice prompts help tremendously and are clear and loud.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me

Yes I have this issue also (see earlier post). I think of all the quirks this one bugs me the most. I also have not figured out the necessary sequence. And in my case turning the gps unit on first and allowing it to get a fix does nothing to help TomTom pair up with it. If anyone does figure out the necessary sequence, please share!
    winter
    A while back, when I first heard about the coming TomTom Nav5 package, I got REALLY excited. Then, I wondered, well, 90% of the time when I'm using this GPS setup, I'll be in my car and 100% of the time that I'm in my car, I'm using my Treo as an MP3 player (iPods be DAMNED!). So, I thought, can I do both?

Well, I emailed TomTom this question (in March I think) and they responded that it would not work and tomtom nav5 cannot run with any other program.

Well so far that seems to be inaccurate. I did a little testing just now and I can INDEED start PocketTunes play MP3s and at least open TomTomNav5 which connects to the GPS unit (wirelessly). I then planned a route and it did that with no problem.

Now, I haven't done a full test on this yet and I'm not sure how the voice prompts will react (I've had buggy problems getting voice prompts loaded... more on that later), but the initial proof of concept seems to work-

TomTom will start and run while PocketTunes plays MP3s in the background!

I have a long road trip planned for this weekend, so I'll do some stress testing and see how many times I can crash my Treo (but hopefully not my car).
    Last edited by MoseGiganticus; 07/01/2005 at 01:44 PM.
  13.    #93  
    The screen size IS a bit of a problem, but the high resolution and brightness of the Treo compensates to some degree. Still, I'm thinking of sending back the TomTom and getting a Lexus LS-430 instead. The screen is much larger. However, the Lexus unit is 197 inches long and weighs almost 4,000 Lb, vs. just a few ounces for the Treo. And there's a price difference, I think.

OK, seriously, I just took a trip of about 120 miles along a route I often travel, in my 2003 Acura MDX with built-in navigation. I set up the Acura nav and the TomTom to operate side by side. Accuracy was about the same, and so was screen real-estate, though of course the actual screensize was much larger and easier to see on the Acura. The main way in which the TomTom was inferior was the richness of content in the voice prompts. While Lori was saying "In 800 yards take the exit; enter the highway", the Acura was saying "In a half mile, exit right onto Route 2 Eastbound". That makes eyes-averted use much easier, especially when lots of roads are coming together.

I'm not suggesting this is a fair competition...the Acura navigation costs several thousand $....but it's an area where the TomTom could have done much better. In any case, I've decided it's a keeper, warts and all. I look forward to a software upgrade in a few months that should address many of the quirks we're all discovering.
    I'm having probelms getting the tomtom software to recognize ANY of the voice files. Could someone post a file tree of their SD card and show me where all of the Tomtom related files are stored.

When I go through the CD install of voice prompts, my hotsync log says:

- Installed Voice usam: C:\Program Files\palmOne\GarfieM\TomTomMaps\usam.cab to TomTom
    OK Install TomTom Maps 1.50
    OK Install To Card

but if I look on my SD card, the usam.cab file is NOT install on the SD card in the TomTom folder. I've tried putting it there manually AND unzipping the .cab file and putting the contents in the TomTom folder manually, but when I go to the "choose voice" screen in the software, I can't select any of them. They're all greyed out.

I planned to talk to Tom Tom on the phone today, by they closed at 1pm for the holiday weekend. So, I turn to you TreoCentral community.
    Oh, and PS- I have the application files install on the internal Plam memory and the Map files installed on the SD card.

TomTom recommended that the application files also be installed on the SD card, but that doesn;t seem to work very well either. If I try that, all I get in the Contacts Navigation icon, and not the actual application icon to start TomTom from the Sd card. It doesn;t put start.prc in the right folder. I tried moving start.prc into the proper folder (Laucher) so I can select to run the tomtom software form the SD menu, but if I select it, it just goes to a white screen and doesn;t run.

So, App on internal memory, Maps on SD, and I'd lik voices on the SD card too (as long as they can be recognized by the application there).

Ideally, I'd run the whole program from the SD card and free up my internal memory, but, like I sai dthat's not working. So if anyone has a brilliant fix on how I can get the application to run properly from the SD card, I'd like to do that too.

Thanks!
    I can't seem to add any voices either. I've installed the two voices like 5 times and everytime I get into TOM TOM and do a change voice it says it does not exist. help!
    I get the white screen as well - but it isn't technically white--- its repeating the text "Armcode not allocated"
    To an earlier post about the order for starting up, I've found that if I start the receiver and let it sit for 30 seconds or so, I can then start tomtom and after only a few seconds it has identified the receiver and obtained a gps fix.
    I just got one of the windshield mounts and the heavyduty cig adaptor so now I wont have to turn off the backlight on the treo and leave it sitting in the passenger seat upsidedown only listening to voiceprompts. I also just ordered kblights off. Now i'll be able to see while driving at night
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJstreet
    I had that same fear too. Was the screen too small? I run Tom Tom Nav 4 bluetooth and I can honestly say that I have no problem with it. Tom Tom for the Treo is specifically designed from small screens like our Treo. There is, at times, a lot of data thrown at you but if you place it in a comfortable position on your dash, you can reference it without taking your eyes too far off the road. The voice prompts help tremendously and are clear and loud.

Thank a lot JesseJstreet,

I think we are going to give it a try and if it doens't work for us we might return it or wait until the Treo comes out with a bigger screen.

Al
    As far as I'm concerned it works as advertised and then some. I thought the screen size might be an issue but it isn't. Love the fact that you can pre-set itineraries without the gps receiver from wherever you happen to be, IOW, not in the car. I tried to get "lost" by disobeying commands and burying myself in a complex residential neighborhood but as fast as I made wrong turns it calculated new routes. What's not to like? It gets you where you want to go.