Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    I'm not sure if it's due to the errors descirbed abaove, but my Pocket quicken is no longer syncing.

Any other phantom sync probelms after loading TomTom Nav5?
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
    I was going to purchase it from buy.com for $253 but it just went up! I found a site that has it in stock and ordered it for $255. Check it out. www.tigergps.com
  3.    #63  
    Re: "I would LOVE (LOVE!!!!!) to contact them directly, but I could not find a phone number that wasn't an international call (my kingdom for a 1-800 number!)"

Well, the company headquarters may be in the UK, but I called their office in Concord, MA and got through right away to a very helpful person. 978.287.9555. It's posted right on their Web site, under About TomTom/Contact Us.
    I wish there was an 800 number; I could really use an extra kingdom.
    Thanks tangible. maybe if I switched the site to the "US English" one I would have seen that! (duh).

No wonder I was wracking my brain and that website to find a suitable number. But you've provided me with my reason. That may actually solve some other frustrating issues I've been having with their website!
    WOW- I called the number and got a person in liteally 10 seconds. Had my problem solved in about 30 seconds. Now I'm rolling!
    Does anyone have any information about US TomTom PLUS services? There are links to them on the site, but they aren;t very useful. For instance, the Traffic PLUS service only offers a yearly subscription to European traffic, and the weather and the POI service don't even have links to sign up for a subscription (at least not that I can see).

Anyone have any clues?
    It says that the Plus services (traffic) for the USA are "coming soon". In addition, the site states that Plus services are only good on GPRS devises. I guess I am out of luck with my Sprint PCS Treo. Hopefully when PalmOne rolls out their version in August, they will support Sprint phones. Thanks.
    I just tried the weather services. I signed up for a user account on tomtom.com and typed in the email when TomTom5 asks for it. I think it may be free for a short time hehe
    Mose,

Here's the number for their US office...not an 800#, but better then calling Intl.

http://www.tomtom.com/about/about.php?ID=5&Language=4
    When you brave early adopters get your technical issues sorted out, can you give us envious non-owners a report on:

1. Whether and how well it works with the receiver in the glovebox; and

2. What happens when the phone rings?

Thanks.
    ntaylor:
    Updates:

1. I don't have my car with me, but here's what I've seen... the GPS receiver seems to require a stronger signal to lock onto the satellites than to maintain a connection. So, when I first turn on the GPS receiver, I have it out in my hand with a line-of-sight to the sky. After it gets it's initial lock, I can drop it in my pocket and it holds the lock!

It works somewhat like a cell phone signal with the TomTom software displaying a signal strength indicator in bars. Basically, if you obstruct the receievr's view of the sky, you'll lose a few bars of signal strength. If it works in my pocket, I'd venture to assume it could/should work in a glove box. This is, of course, granted that you are getting a strong enough signal when it's within LOS of the sky. for instance, right now in Philly, there is SERIOUS cloud cover, so the signal is getting heavily degraded by the weather. I only have 1 or 2 bars with LOS of the sky at times.

2. This I can report on definitely. With TomTom running and the GPS reciever wirelessly connected, I called my phone and it rang through. If you asnwer the call, it's just like exiting the program. When you return to the program, it attempts to pick up where it left off. If you ignore the call (from the caller ID screen) TomTom seems to be unaffected.
    Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor
    When you brave early adopters get your technical issues sorted out, can you give us envious non-owners a report on:

1. Whether and how well it works with the receiver in the glovebox; and

2. What happens when the phone rings?

Thanks.
    I haven't used it in the glovebox per se, but I do keep the unit (Global Sat) in the center console and have never had any problems with a signal.

When a call comes in, the map screen switches over to the phone screen and you can answer the call. Once you are done on the call, on version 4 if you simply hit the TomTom icon it takes you right back to your route. However, if you have the Global Sat unit and others too I believe, and your call lasts longer than 10 minutes, the GPS will shut off and then you will have to reconnect before TomTom can resume the route.

Hope that helps.
    MoseGiganticus and MileHighTreo, thanks very much, I intend to pull the trigger. Now the issue is how my Acura bluetooth HFL will behave. On the 2004 thread, Treo Dude says here that it seems to work. I don't get that, I thought the phone could only connect to one BT device at a time and while in the car, it maintains some sort of constant connection with the car, get a little icon on the dash even when not in call. So how can it also be connected to the BT GPS receiver?
    Grrrr.....
    I got my tomtom yesterday and installed it thismorning. I played with it on the way to work and while here at work it decided to reset. That'd be fine except now it says that I havn't activated the southeast map and my activation card is at home....
    When I reactivate it tonight I'll need to write the numbers down in my palm so I can reactivate it whenever I need to.
    Has anyone had them un-activate after a reset? I didn't reset after installing so maybe that's the problem. BTW, it crashed from an error in Memo. bleh.
    Does anyone know how to move the maps over using a card reader? There doesn't appear to be any documentation. After I synced it over, it worked fine, but took forever. On my current sync it is backing up the file (and has been for over an hour).
    There's an option for exactly that on the TomTom CD.

-insert a Map CD
    -accept the agreement
    -choose Palm device
    -Add maps ->
    -choose Map region -> (insert different CD if neccessary)
    -choose "Other (advanced)" for the install method ->
    -from here you can choose to install to an SD card through a reader or to any folder on your PC

Personally, I took the time to install ALL the regional maps to a folder on my laptop so I can just copy them over to an SD card whenever I need them instead of having to deal with the CDs and the install process associated with that.

Hope that does it for you!
    OK, I drove in to work this morning with the GPS receiver in the glove box. It worked just fine, and I had all 5 bars on the signal strength.

Couple of other things to note. I have not heard back from TomTom regarding the errors received during the HotSync, but it looks like that is a problem for a lot of people so hopefully an answer or fix is coming soon. But as others have said, even though there are these strange errors, the device seems to function correctly.

I emailed their support about the lack of an AC adapter and asked where I could purchase one. I got an email back from them this morning asking for my address so they could mail me and AC adapter free! Seems awful decent of them...I just wish it was included originally, but I'm not complaining.

A couple of other issues...

To answer the question about what happens when a call is received. You can answer the call and it pops you out of the TomTom application. After you hang up you can simply relaunch TomTom and it picks up where it left off.

My Bluetooth headset (Sony HBH660) does not work as long as I am using the GPS unit and running TomTom. If a call comes in, I have to answer it using the phone. That sort of sucks, but as I understand it that is a lack of function because of the bluetooth 1.1 version that is on the Treo. So I don't think it is possible to use a bluetooth headset and the TomTom at the same time. Does anyone have a different take on that?

And finally it seems to be pretty temperamental about losing the GPS lock, and I can't quite figure out what is going on. Basically if I exit out of TomTom (say to look at a different program on the Treo) and then if I restart TomTom I can not get it to connect to the GPS unit. Strangely this does not happen when I have a phone call coming in. When that happens I can just restart TomTom and it picks up where I left off on the map, and the connection to the GPS unit is not broken. When I get this broken connection it is a pain to get it to work again, and I have not quite figured out how to do it. But basically I end up turning off the GPS unit and then restarting TomTom (which I usually have to do several time) to get them to repair. It is really a pain.

So for me the verdict is still out...I really like this software/hardware when it works, but I'm not sure I have been able to figure out how to keep it working yet.

winter
    <<So I don't think it is possible to use a bluetooth headset and the TomTom at the same time. Does anyone have a different take on that?>>

From my gps research, it seems that you can use your BT headset and TomTom only if you have the wired version. I have heard on another board that TomTom doesn't plan on supplying wired versions anymore, yet their website has a wired package listed as "coming soon." Information about TomTom is spotty, at best, because they don't release a lot of information, and when they do, it tends to be contradictory. I personally want a wired version (even if I have to use version 4.4) because I really want the BT headset functionality.

<<And finally it seems to be pretty temperamental about losing the GPS lock, and I can't quite figure out what is going on. Basically if I exit out of TomTom (say to look at a different program on the Treo) and then if I restart TomTom I can not get it to connect to the GPS unit. Strangely this does not happen when I have a phone call coming in. When that happens I can just restart TomTom and it picks up where I left off on the map, and the connection to the GPS unit is not broken. When I get this broken connection it is a pain to get it to work again, and I have not quite figured out how to do it.>>

It seems by your description that the receiver doesn't lose its fix when you switch over to the phone application from the TomTom app (that would explain why you can't use a BT headset at this time). When you switch out of the phone app back into TomTom, the signal is already there so it is quick to restart. However, when you go out of TomTom to a different app other than the phone, it seems to shut off the fix, meaning you have to reacquire a fix. Reacquiring a fix takes a long time (20 seconds to a minute, depending) because it needs a solid signal from multiple satellites.
    AC Adapter! I can confirm winter's claim of TomTom agreeing to send out an AC adapter for the MK2 receiever at no charge- AMAZING! Although I agree that it should have come included in the first place, I think it's a pretty stand up policy for them to make it so easy.

I gave them a call, asked for the AC adapter, and they were like, "sure!"

So, of course I haven't recieved it or tried it yet, but the wheels are turning.
    Quote Originally Posted by winter
    My Bluetooth headset (Sony HBH660) does not work as long as I am using the GPS unit and running TomTom. If a call comes in, I have to answer it using the phone. That sort of sucks, but as I understand it that is a lack of function because of the bluetooth 1.1 version that is on the Treo. So I don't think it is possible to use a bluetooth headset and the TomTom at the same time. Does anyone have a different take on that?
    I have TT Nav 4 (upgrade to 5 not yet available). When I was using SPCS ROM 1.08, a call would interrupt TT and still ring in my HBH-660. But with SPCS ROM 1.12, it no longer does this. Bummed to hear your report about Nav 5.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast