Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    what a bunch of cheap-skates..skimping by only including a charge charger (and no AC/Wall Charger).

I guess if you want to test it in the house after you get it you plug it into your car overnight? (and in my case you have to keep the car running for the CRA to be live)

Not saying TomTom shouldn't have included an AC charger, but you can pick up an adaptor at Radio Shack that allows you to plug in any car device into a wall socket. I always travel with that adaptor for my Treo so I can charge in the car or hotel room with out bringing two separate charger cables.

Anyone know what the upgrade deal is yet? I bought Nav 4 on April 13. Will I get the software and maps for free? Are they going to hold strictly to the 60 day upgrade policy despite their delay in releasing? Any news on that front????
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    For those previous owners, they've delayed the software only release again:

Dear Mr x,

We are looking to release a map update mid-July. Once Navigator 5 is released you will receive an e-mail notifying you of the update. Generally if one has purchased the software and activated it within the 90 day time frame of the new software being released, the update is free. If you are outside the 90 day window, the update is $49.00 plus shipping and handling. Please keep in mind this date could be pushed back due to software development.

Kind Regards,

TomTom USA Customer Service
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I just received this answer from TomTom:

Dear Mr x,

The upgrade is not available in the US for another week or two. You were trying to upgrade on the UK website which is different and has a different upgrade program. You will receive an email prior to the release with instructions on how to obtain it. If you have any further questions, please contact us.

Kind Regards,

TomTom USA Customer Service
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    Just recived my TomTom Nav5 today. Yep, no AC charger- that sucks. What's even MORE frustrating is this ridiculously involved activation process we have to perform. I understand they have to protect their software against piracy, but seriously, do I REALLY have to decipher the difference between a "product code", "device code" and "Activation code" WTF?

Through the mess of trying to obtain my "activation code" through the Tom Tom website by typing in 2 different code (total of 22 characters) I found out I made a typo in the "device code" sooooo, my subsequestly generated activation code was wrong. And now the Tom Tom website has my device listed as "registered" through the "product code" and it won;t let me correct the mistyped "device code."

so, I can't use the software yet.

To make matters worse, it looks like I'll have to wait about 2 days to hear back from TomTom on how i can resolve this issue.

The other confusing thing is that the "installation poster" as I think it's referred to somwhere in the TomTom literature, clearly shows (tells) me to enter the "product code" in as the "activation code" which is just plain wrong. I spent about and hour figuring that one out before I went online to www.ttcode.com to get my REAL activation code there... then screwed that up with a typo.

I think my blood pressure is up.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get my software activated without wiating for TomTom to get back to me? I have a GPRS connection through Tmobile and the TomTom maunals seem to allude to some way to activate the software over the GPRS connection (instead of going to the webiste).

Any ideas? I trust you guys more than the support at TomTom (especially after trying to use their manuals!)
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
  6.    #46  
    Mose: You may want to call TT on the phone instead of dealing with their online support. They're actually reasonable people, hidden behind some very bad support software and sites. My guess is that they will give you a new code as long as your story is credible.

I believe the automatic GPRS activation feature refers to the European system. They didn't bother to re-write a lot of the documentation for the US market. That kind of thinking is probably behind the omission of the AC charger, as now they don't have to deal with a dozen different plug configurations and voltages. Although the cigarette lighter socket is a prime example of accidental design, it's the only universal power supply.

MileHigh: I did find the Radio Shack adaptor, as noted in an earlier post. Looks OK, but I would rather have a separate AC charger. What happens if you plug in a generic 12V power supply? Anyone care to try that?
    What is the best GPS software for the 650? I have tried Mapopolis wasn't impressed and it would crash if I loaded more than one large map. I haven't tried Tomtom is it worth it?
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    What is the best GPS software for the 650? I have tried Mapopolis wasn't impressed and it would crash if I loaded more than one large map. I haven't tried Tomtom is it worth it?

Dear god, man!

There's a 600+ reply thread that gives you the answer to that question! Take a look!!!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=65724
    Perhaps part of their motivation for the US release delay is to reduce the number of free upgrades. When I activated my Nav 2004 in April I was sure I would qualify for the upgrade. If I lived in the UK I would already have it.
    I have had version 5 for about a day now and have had enough of an opportunity to play with it to know that I like a lot about it, but have been very frustrated so far. I like the features and how it functions but have been very frustrated with the install (confusing and complicated), the lack of an AC power adapter, and the GPS receiver has a very hard time getting an initial fix. Once it does, it is pretty solid, but it takes it 10 minutes to actually get the lock.

The other frustrating thing has been with their tech support, or lack of it. I keep getting these type of errors during hot-sync.

"OK Install TomTom Maps 1.50
    Unable to create handheld database. SyncCreateDB returned 4019.
    HotSync Exchange synchronization failed

Protocol Error: The requested command is not supported (4019)"

and lots of these type messages.

-- Backup
    -- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database currentmap.dat to file C:\Program Files\Handspring\WinterM\Backup\currentmap_dat.PDB. The file contained database CurrentMap.dat data."

I have tried to contact their tech support, but so far have not got any response. It has been very frustrating. As much as I like it, I'm leaning towards returning it because of these problems.

Hopefully others have better luck...and if anyone can help with the above errors, please let me know because TomTom sure is not helping.

winter
    Yesterday saw it for $253 and in stock. Now it is $299 and out of stock. Also not available on Amazon or CircuitCity. Am I missing something?
    I'd like to (finally) have direct evidence for this: Can you use the bluetooth receiver in the glovebox? It would be great to not have to keep putting the receiver on the dash and then taking it off when going into a store, etc.

If you've tried the bluetooth receiver both on the dash and in the glovebox, please post the difference in signal strength you've noticed. Thanks.
    Got mine in from amazon, the install is indeed more than a bit wonky. But basically you install the application off the lone cd, then you stick in one of the map cds to pick your location which will then tell you to insert the right map cd to install the maps on your sdcard. The hotsync takes for freakin-ever because of this though, copying over 150mb+ of data. I think I'm going to sharpie the maps contained on each map cd sometime here so that I can avoid the cd swapping.

After you install the application and the maps it works great. Definitely more accurate and sensitive than my older magellen gps. Gonna get some real good use out of it here soon with my driving trip to oregon coming up.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by SFTreo650
    I'd like to (finally) have direct evidence for this: Can you use the bluetooth receiver in the glovebox? It would be great to not have to keep putting the receiver on the dash and then taking it off when going into a store, etc.

If you've tried the bluetooth receiver both on the dash and in the glovebox, please post the difference in signal strength you've noticed. Thanks.
    I'm also curious about that, and I have another question as well. I haven't seen anything yet about what happens when the Treo takes a call. In the 2004 version, I believe I read that it interrupts Navigator, but then you can start it again (while on call or afterwards?). How does v5 behave?
  15.    #55  
    Winter: FWIW I saw some of the same Hotsync messages you did. I have no idea what they actually mean. I ignored them, and the unit works anyway.

If someone comes up with a table of contents for the map CD's, please post it here. There's no point in everyone slogging through this silly process. I can tell you that CD1 is "New England and Mid-Atlantic". I didn't look any further; as a good Patriots / Red Sox fan it was obvious to me that we would be #1, and of course we were.
    I'm not a big fan of Hotsync and I always install my software my moving it to the SD card with my card reader. Can anybody post where the maps go in the SD card? Is it possible to just grab the files from the CD or the Palm folder on the computer and move them to the SD card? This will really help. I'm getting mine from Buy.com on the July 5th

Al
    With how long it took to copy the files over i really wished I could just have copied them over. Well, to give you a hand here's the directory layout that I have after installation.

//TomTom/
    |-Munich.bin
    |-setup.dat
    |-data05.chk
    |-data07.chk
    |-data.chk
    |-data05.vif
    |-data07.vif

//TomTom west Map/
    |-clime.dat
    |-cname.dat
    |-cnode.dat
    |-faces.dat
    |-mapinfo.dat
    |-poi.dat
    |-setup.dat
    |-tmcodes.dat
    |-traffic.dat
    |-traffic.inc
    |-West.mid
    |-West.pna

//PALM/launcher/
    |-cn.prc
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

tangible: I went through most of the maps. Here's what I've found (correct me if someone has better information...)

All of the Maps for US regions (sections of the continental US, Alaska, Hawaii, US territories), major US cities and major highway network, and Canada are all contained on CD1 and CD2.

As best I can tell, CDs 3-8 deal with the "Other" option which has the maps of each individual state as well as a menagerie of state groupings.

I just used CDs 1 and 2 to copy all of the major region map folders onto my PC (there's an "advanced" option to copy them to a computer folder) so if I ever want them, I can just copy the region I want straight onto my SD card from my PC and never have to deal with those CDs again.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangible
    Mose: You may want to call TT on the phone instead of dealing with their online support. They're actually reasonable people, hidden behind some very bad support software and sites. My guess is that they will give you a new code as long as your story is credible.
    I would LOVE (LOVE!!!!!) to contact them directly, but I could not find a phone number that wasn't an international call (my kingdom for a 1-800 number!)

When you called them, did you just call Tel: +31 (0)20 850 0800 or did you get ahold of a better number to use?

Have any idea how much a 30 minutes call to the UK (that's where they're located, right?) might cost?

How long does it take to get through to a person? I'm sure my issue could be solved in about 2 seconds if I could get to the right person.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by winter
    I have had version 5 for about a day now and have had enough of an opportunity to play with it to know that I like a lot about it, but have been very frustrated so far. I like the features and how it functions but have been very frustrated with the install (confusing and complicated), the lack of an AC power adapter, and the GPS receiver has a very hard time getting an initial fix. Once it does, it is pretty solid, but it takes it 10 minutes to actually get the lock.

The other frustrating thing has been with their tech support, or lack of it. I keep getting these type of errors during hot-sync.

Protocol Error: The requested command is not supported (4019)"

and lots of these type messages.

-- Backup
    -- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database currentmap.dat to file C:\Program Files\Handspring\WinterM\Backup\currentmap_dat.PDB. The file contained database CurrentMap.dat data."

I have tried to contact their tech support, but so far have not got any response. It has been very frustrating. As much as I like it, I'm leaning towards returning it because of these problems.

Hopefully others have better luck...and if anyone can help with the above errors, please let me know because TomTom sure is not helping.

winter

yep, I'm getting those errors too:

OK Install TomTom Maps 1.50

Protocol Error: The requested command is not supported (4019)

I guess no one seems to know what this is from yet, nor what it's doing or if it effects anything. That's the most dangerous kind of problem! I hope someone can get to the bottom of these errors and let us know what's causing them and if their manevolent. And how to stop them!
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast