1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

My company just got GOODlink, and I would really love to keep it. After using it for a couple of days, it really blows away Seven's "Business Connection" that I've been using. Unfortunately, Goodlink takes up a huge amount of memory and NVFS cache making the Treo practically unusable for anything else when Good is loaded. In order to do mostly anything else, I have to soft-reset and not load Good until I am doing with the other app.

Now, based on Good's recommendation, I've already moved all non-necessary apps to the SD card and use PowerRun, but it's the apps that remain in RAM that take up the NVFS cache. I have very few things running in RAM, but they are necessary... ex.: Ultrasoft Money (needs to be in RAM to sync with desktop), SplashID (needs to be in RAM to sync with desktop), Documents (only the actual program, I used TechTool to move most of the components to the card. This was kept in RAM on Good's recommendation), LEDOff and TreoGuard (both need to be in RAM to work), PDAnet/PDAreach (recommended in RAM, but very small apps anyway), and PowerRUN (obviously). All other programs launch from the SD card.

I downloaded Memory Info to look at my cache size and DBCacheTool which is supposed to purge the cache when exiting a program. Now, no matter what settings I've tried, I can't get DBCacheTool to dump the 6 or so MB of NVFS cache that Good uses while running when I exit the program, nor can I get it to auto-clear at all. I'm not sure if the DBCacheTool I have is working or if there is a new version after 0.1a, but here are my settings: Auto clear:ON, App Stop:checked, Free <4MB, Max<4MB.

If anyone could help alleviate some memory and cache issues so I can keep Good, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, the Treo is too unusable with Good installed for me and I'm going to have to go back to Seven. Thank you for any help in advance!

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    Join the club.
    I posted months ago on the goodlink thread about memory issues
    and gave some simple suggestions on how they could easily resolve some of
    them, but they're obviously not giving it a high priority.
    I've switched to Seven (Xpressmail) also, and although not as nice
    as goodlink, I've found it to be quite adequate for the purpose, and
    being able to access my personal email account with the same application is a bonus that you can't do with goodlink.
    Would this be a case in which you would want to create a customer rom image to delete unused apps and put some of your other apps into the ROM image. AKA - delete versamail, bce to make room and add some of the splash apps to the rom image. I wonder if there is a way to put GoodLink into the ROM image..

Just a thought.

Still waiting to get my goodlink license here from my employer...still using versamail which just keeps rebooting the phone since the rom upgrade from sprint.
    Creating a custom rom helps somewhat (I did that with 1.23), but is still not enough since you still need to keep a lot of ram free due to the cache issues... :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by modma
    ... no matter what settings I've tried, I can't get DBCacheTool to dump the 6 or so MB of NVFS cache that Good uses while running when I exit the program, nor can I get it to auto-clear at all. I'm not sure if the DBCacheTool I have is working or if there is a new version after 0.1a, but here are my settings: Auto clear:ON, App Stop:checked, Free <4MB, Max<4MB....
    But you already said it yourself... you can't get GL to unload completely without restarting: which is quite true, once you run it. If you can't get the program to shut down, then it will continue to run and use memory.

I would generally agree that the experience of GL users at my employer is that those who only use their Treo for GL and phone are much happier than those who try to do more with their Treo (including myself). I eventually chose to abdandon GL and found alternatives to accomplish what I needed -- though in my case memory was but one pain factor.