Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I just spoke with a Sprint rep today who told me that the 650 will be EVDO ready with a to-be-released software update (he said that he owns the Audiovox PPC-6600 and is "in the know" about this stuff). If so, I will be one happy camper!

Can anyone confirm this? And when will we find out what markets EVDO will be available in and when? Also, has anyone noticed that the Sprint BT DUN seems to be faster than Shadowmite's hack or PDANet? I was lucky to get 50kbps before, but I did two line speed tests after installing 1.12 and got around 115kbps both times. Woo hoo!
    Can't speak about the BT Shadowmite issue but....

...Please do a search. There is pretty recent thread about EVDO and the 650 (and the rumors of the new treo).

In short, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $650$ $is$ $not$ $EVDO$ $compatible$ ($regardless$ $of$ $how$ $much$ $we$ $want$ $it$ $to$ $be$.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Tried doing a search but kept getting some stange error message...
  4. jmt
    I also noticed twice the speed that I was getting from PdaNet. It is also much more stable than PdaNet.
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    the treo 650 is not EVDO compatible...next question
    Where's the proof? "I read it on the internet" doesn't count.

Much of the CDMA radio is implemented in firmware. Firmware can be upgraded. I'm not saying it is or it isn't possible, but I'm keeping an open mind about this.
    Here is a dummy question: what is EVDO ?
    EVDO has aspects that are hardware based. Many ppl in the know have stated over and over that the radio in the 650 is not EVDO capable.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenChoi
    Please try a search....maybe even a google search.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    There are several protocols for High Speed Internet Networking. Along with EDGE (the slowest of them) EVDO is one of them. Evolution Data Only/Evolution Data Optimized, often abbreviated as EVDO, EV-DO, EvDO, 1xEV-DO or 1xEvDO is a wireless radio broadband data protocol. Speeds of up to 2.4 Mb/s

Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe

Much of the CDMA radio is implemented in firmware. Firmware can be upgraded. I'm not saying it is or it isn't possible, but I'm keeping an open mind about this.
    Check out the processor specs on Qualcomm's website. A chipset must be able to support EV-DO. It's impossible to flash a firmware update to a chipset that can't support the feature. That being said, I haven't been able to find out what chipset is inside of the 650. Anyone know?
    The 650 does do Edge -- getting up to 167 Kbs using T-Mobile

(that speed makes Web browsing truly an enjoyable, organic experience)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Has nothing to do w/ EVDO.

open up the phone look at the chipset and tell me what it says...further more the circuit diagrams based on the processor dictates what tech the phone can or cannot take...

please dont badger me man
    Photos of the internals can be found here:
    https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf

But I can't seem to make out any model info on the Qualcomm chipset.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenChoi
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVDO

I have no idea if this helps to solve the EVDO mystery but....
    I was play with the network settings and I hit the modify settings it of course gives you the shpeal about "are you sure you want to change the network setting..could make the phone inoperable" well anyway I hit yes ..then it show "high speed network settings" now I didn't notice this untill after the update from 1.08 -1.12 and if that's true why would plam put settings in firmware we can't use?.....or can we?
    STAR TAC w/TIMPORT ORGANIZER>I300>I330>TREO600>TREO650>TREO700>TREO755P
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    The 650 does do Edge -- getting up to 167 Kbs using T-Mobile

(that speed makes Web browsing truly an enjoyable, organic experience)

I get 107 Kbs with National Access with VZW. Haven't tested my wife's 600 at DSL reports mobile speed test though to see if there's a difference between the models.
    "Many people" have stated lots of things. All I'm asking for is a solid technical reason to believe one position or the other. Is that too much to ask? And yes, I agree that knowing what is the exact chipset would help answer the question.
    "Many people" have stated lots of things. All I'm asking for is a solid technical reason to believe one position or the other. Is that too much to ask? And yes, I agree that knowing what is the exact chipset would help answer the question.
    Knowing the exact chipset is the ONLY thing that will give us the answer.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast