Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    I get 107 Kbs with National Access with VZW. Haven't tested my wife's 600 at DSL reports mobile speed test though to see if there's a difference between the models.

in today's NY times there's an article about EV-DO and Edge:

http://tech2.nytimes.com/2005/06/23/.../23pogue.html?

The NYTimes writes that: "Verizon claims you'll be able to download data at an average of 400 to 700 kilobits per second (kbps), which turns out to be true. That makes EV-DO at least five times as fast as the rival technology offered by Cingular and T-Mobile, called EDGE (70 to 135 kbps), and about seven times as fast as Verizon's original data network (still available), which it calls NationalAccess (60 to 80 kbps)."

Depending on conditions, proximity to towers etc., I'm getting up to 175 Kbs --- which is significantly better than Edge is supposed to be able to deliver.

obviously 400-700 would be nice -- but I'm satisfied at the speeds I'm getting now ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 06/24/2005 at 01:20 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    And yes, I agree that knowing what is the exact chipset would help answer the question.
    Feel free to pull your Treo apart and take a look.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I've been searching and searching and searching for the answer. Looks like that's what it's gonna take. Any volunteers???
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    I've been searching and searching and searching for the answer. Looks like that's what it's gonna take. Any volunteers???
    I've been searching too and haven't found the exact chipset. You'd think that someone has a dead 650 that they wouldn't mind opening up.
    It is a Qualcomm chipset so it should be able to just take a firmware update to enable EVDO See pic -->:Qualcomm chipset
    "Someone call the Whambulance"
    Photo Blog
    My Space
    Quote Originally Posted by josephaoliva
    It is a Qualcomm chipset so it should be able to just take a firmware update to enable EVDO See pic -->:Qualcomm chipset
    Wrong. Try reading the thread next time. It depends on EXACTLY which Qualcomm chipset it is.
    I finally worked up the nerve to open up my treo and i found out the chipset and info. Heres the bad news: The chipset that the treo uses is a Qualcomm MSM 6050 and it is not EVDO capable. Attached is the link to the chipset info: Chipset and here are the specs from that site. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but now we know. If you want to see for yourself open up your treo remove the 2 screws from the RF chipset and then turn it over and remove the little metal cover. Imprinted on the chip you will see "Qualcomm MSM 6050" -Joe
    "Someone call the Whambulance"
    Photo Blog
    My Space
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Hello! I was watching the financial news and they did a comparison bewtween the TREO 650 and another pda soon to hit the market. The reporter mentioned that palm will be coming out with a new treo w/ EVDO probably 2nd quarter of next year. so TREO will have broadband.
    I finally worked up the nerve to open up my treo and i found out the chipset and info. Heres the bad news: The chipset that the treo uses is a Qualcomm MSM 6050 and it is not EVDO capable.
    Thanks for checking! That answers the question to my satisfaction. Now when this comes up again in the future we can point them at this info.
    Here's some more info from Qualcomm's site. Hope you are all enjoying your affordable "entry level" phone!

http://www.cdmatech.com/solutions/pr...0_3g_solutions

Deliver on the global demand for affordable voice and basic data solutions with handsets enabled by the MSM6050 chipset for CDMA2000 1X Revision 0 networks.

Benefits:

* Generate revenue with affordable solutions that deliver compelling wireless devices and services to global emerging markets
    * Maximize profits with attractively priced wireless services, including voice and basic data
    * Develop entry-level CDMA2000 1X handsets that offer a seamless migration path to 3G services and applications
    * Accelerate time to market with integrated solutions that enable smaller form factors and reduce BOM costs
    As a recent Treo 650 purchaser (love it) with an interest in telecoms, I am wondering 'what next'. EvDO is the USA's (CDMA) 3G implimentation, right at <500kb/s? Europe already has UMTS and Edge at 200-300Kb/s? Both these are broadband and capable of handling VOIP. The cost in the UK for a decent data bundle via UMTS is 19 ($30) per month - not steep.

I have just seen a Windows phone they have released in Aussieland. Looks like a 650, handles EvDO
    <http://www.3g.co.uk/PRPRPR/$October2004$/$8567$.$htm$&$gt$;
    Get a VOIP softphone on this and you can call anywhere in the world for next to nothing. The low cost means that you can use it as your land line as well and save a fortune in bills.
    Yes I know wifi (g) is so much better at 54MB/s. But for a smartphone with minimal call charges and IM, such a Treo couldn't be beat as you don't need to worry about hot spots. I'll use my Powerbook for all the large files and an iPod for music My biggest concern is- will Palm concentrate on the US market/EvDO and not Europe?
    Okay - from the for what it's worth department. (This possible mis-information seems to be spreading thru all Sprint stores, or, maybe, there may just be a kernel of truth to it.)

My Sprint Store sales rep says that EDVO will roll out in 2-3 months and that the Treo 650 will be upgradable to it. He said it has the right chip set, just needs a firmware upgrade to make it happen. Also said that the Sprint Vision PPC-6600 already, now, has the EDVO software on board. He sounded convincing.

We will see.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/24/2005 at 11:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Okay - from the for what it's worth department. (This mis-information seems to be spreading thru all Sprint stores, or, maybe, there may just be a kernel of truth to it.)

My Sprint Store sales rep says that EDVO will roll out in 2-3 months and that the Treo 650 will be upgradable to it. He said it has the right chip set, just needs a firmware upgrade to make it happen. Also said that the Sprint Vision PPC-6600 already, now, has the EDVO software on board. He sounded convincing.

We will see.

Cheers, Perry.
    He doesn't know what he's talking about. EV-DO is already here in some markets and the 650 cannot be upgraded. The store drones make $8/hr for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    He doesn't know what he's talking about. EV-DO is already here in some markets and the 650 cannot be upgraded. The store drones make $8/hr for a reason.
    I will reserve judgement until EVDO rolls out in Grand Rapids, MI (I believe his 2-3 month reference was to GR). . . . he has been right on in my two years of discussions with him. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/24/2005 at 01:24 PM.
    Have done some more research into EvDO and UMTS/HSPDA. Seems like HSPDA is coming next year, and offers a sufficiently fat 'pipe' for decent VOIP. Whether the cell operators (& Palm) will upgrade all their gear and enable it is another matter.
    Grand Rapids! Fun! (well, not exactly ) Been there, but I have to admit my opinion is overshadowed by the fact I spent most of my time in Detroit while in Michigan.

<SNIP> Stupid me <SNIP>
    Last edited by Geckotek; 06/24/2005 at 01:47 PM.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    I can no longer confidently say the chipset is NOT an EVDO chipset because I don't know what chipset it is!
    How is that possible? josephaoliva opened up a Treo and posted the chipset type a few posts back.

I finally worked up the nerve to open up my treo and i found out the chipset and info. Heres the bad news: The chipset that the treo uses is a Qualcomm MSM 6050 and it is not EVDO capable. Attached is the link to the chipset info: Chipset and here are the specs from that site. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but now we know. If you want to see for yourself open up your treo remove the 2 screws from the RF chipset and then turn it over and remove the little metal cover. Imprinted on the chip you will see "Qualcomm MSM 6050" -Joe
    DOH!!!!!!

I guess the "Go to first new post" feature didn't work the way I expected. Seems I missed several posts.

Thx....I guess...
    Hi all, I'm a Treo 650 user as well and after looking over the specs of the Quallcom chipset 6050 it seems that there is no way THAT chip can be flashed for EV-DO. Also noted in this research, the 6050 is a non-GSM chipset.

http://www.cdmatech.com/chip_results.jsp?chip=MSM6050

I'm interested in knowing what chipset is in our brother GSM chipsets to know if they are using a better chipset that supports CDMA AND GSM and why the 650 wasn't built on a dual-compatible chipset.

Sooo if anyone's got one of those fantastic completecare esqe warranties on a GSM service and wants to pop it open and give us a peek inside I'd love to know what's in it

My opinion on the data we've all dug up is not to expect EV-DO on the 650 and be prepared to shell out the money for a new Treo in 2006. Hopefully then we'll see SprintTV and Vcast appearing on the treo as well
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast