Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

There is an short article in this weeks New Scientist about Yahoo and Hotmail offering push services to forward emails to mobile phones. It then goes on to say "At the moment this type of 'push' email software is only available on BlackBerry devices..."

I know this statement is balony because Good and others offer push software. I'd like to write in with a list of server-based software and request a correction be added to their "For the Record" column.

What other "push" software is available (please state weather the software uses server-based push or the "idle" command of IMAP.)

Regards,

SwingS
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    Obviously, Chatter is real push via IMAP/IDLE.

Marc
    Wow...where to start..from an enterprise level: GoodLink , Intellisync, Seven, Visto and JP Mobile come to mind right off the bat.
    Is it really "push" when you have to relay through a 3rd party NOC? That's really a kind of "push relay", isn't it? Maybe that's the reason for Microsoft's adoption of the "DirectPush" terminology, huh. You know, for its Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync technology that no one in this thread appears to be familiar with....
    delta, welcome back! I suggest you learn about the technology before you bash it.

Push email, by definition, is the server initiated delivery of information. Now, in GoodLink's architecture, all traffic is generated by the GoodLink Server and is triggered by activity on the Exchange server. The fact that the encrypted traffic flows through a secure operations center has absolutely nothing to do with it being push. Blackberry, GoodLink and Intellisync, three push email products that have received FIPS 140-2 certification by the government, all use network operations centers in their security models (Intellisync, in their hosted version recently announced).

Exchange ActiveSync, in its current iteration is not push, it is scheduled pull and Microsoft will tell you that. You schedule how often to poll the Exchange Server. Now, with SP2 and MSFP, Microsoft is stating they will be offering true push email as well as some additional features. I am not going to get into what MSFP and SP2 can and can't or will and won't do as we have been down that road already in another thread, however, for you to sit there and say that GoodLink (or any of the other solutions I mentioned, for that matter) is not a push technology is simply incorrect.
    Actually, the ONLY one mentioned here that's true push from the originating server (and therefore doesn't have any recurring fees associated with it) is Chatter.

Marc
    It's all academic, really. I mean, it isn't like there are wireless signals emitting from your e-mail server. All these methods route the info through the wireless carriers' computers.
    Yes, but there's no great reason to have to pay for the privilege of using a 3rd party server between your server and your wireless device. It's slower, clunkier, and more expensive than a direct connection (assuming there's software to provide the service, which there isn't in general).

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Actually, the ONLY one mentioned here that's true push from the originating server (and therefore doesn't have any recurring fees associated with it) is Chatter.

Marc
    Incorrect. The GoodLink server monitors the Exchange Server and does absolutely nothing if there is no activity on the Exchange server. The Exchange server triggers the GoodLink server to push the traffic. If you want to be completely technical, there is no fee for the GoodLink server, it is free. There is a subscription fee if purchased directly from Good. Through Cingular, there is a one-time license fee, therefore, no recurring fees.
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Yes, but there's no great reason to have to pay for the privilege of using a 3rd party server between your server and your wireless device. It's slower, clunkier, and more expensive than a direct connection (assuming there's software to provide the service, which there isn't in general).

Marc
    Slower? No. Clunkier? Define clunkier. If added security and functionality is clunkier, then you are 100% correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    It's all academic, really. I mean, it isn't like there are wireless signals emitting from your e-mail server. All these methods route the info through the wireless carriers' computers.
    Very good point!
    I'd say that effectively taking over the device (as Good does, for example, on a Treo) is clunky, yes. Are you telling me that Good, BES, and ActiveSync are NOT slower than a direct connection to the server, or just that lots of people can't tell the difference? Or are these things actually FASTER than a direct connection somehow?

Marc
    I think that this thread should be renamed "Good vs. Chatter, the title match"...in THIS corner, wearing red...it's Good! In THIS corner, the challenger...and so on...

While I find this ping-pong match interesting, and while I have everyone's attention, can SOMEBODY please point me in the direction of my holy grail, which is getting my Exchange 2003 mail on my Treo 600 with no redirect, no Enterprise server software, and forget about OWA and the gawd-awful OMA (bit sized WAP rehash).

mblank once said you could use Chatter but needed VPN software which drained battery (why is this?). It also adds $10 per month to my Rogers bill.

Please don't say Nexchange, cause I waited for that train for too long and it's nowhere in sight. Sorry to sound like a broken record on these boards, but I'm just so sick of listening to my co-workers brag about their new MS Mobile phones and how well they do exchange email. I REALLY want to show them that the Treo can kick **** at this....
    tDot - No, Good and Chatter don't compete at all. My points are philosophical, mainly. IMO, the IDEA of a middleware server for Exchange is just plain wrong for most users - adding a lot of expense and complication where none is required. (This isn't to say that they aren't necessary at this point; just that I don't see a long-term justification for it.)

As far as your holy grail, it may indeed be coming...

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    delta, welcome back! I suggest you learn about the technology before you bash it....

Exchange ActiveSync, in its current iteration is not push, it is scheduled pull and Microsoft will tell you that.... however, for you to sit there and say that GoodLink (or any of the other solutions I mentioned, for that matter) is not a push technology is simply incorrect.
    Pretty much what I thought you would say. But, hey, what about the already existing AUTD using SMS? Is that not "push"?

Weren't you calling your product "push" when you used SMS?

Your ways are so strange to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Incorrect. The GoodLink server monitors the Exchange Server and does absolutely nothing if there is no activity on the Exchange server. The Exchange server triggers the GoodLink server to push the traffic. If you want to be completely technical, there is no fee for the GoodLink server, it is free. There is a subscription fee if purchased directly from Good. Through Cingular, there is a one-time license fee, therefore, no recurring fees.
    So it sounds kinda like the Goodlink server "pulls" the data from Exchange and then pushes it to the client? Kinda like that 2-headed Dr. Doolittle animal... (Or perhaps "continuous polling" is the more correct description of the Goodlink server?)

I mean if Exchange isn't "pushing" the mail to the Goodlink server, how can the Goodlink server "push" it to the client?
    Point is are we going to an end to this Blackberry? I hope so, I think Treo is gonna win on this one.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Point is are we going to see an end to this Blackberry? I hope so, I think Treo is gonna win on this one.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    My advice for personal use email through IMAP goes to Chatter no question asked. I use it all the time and I love it. It is fast, easy to use and it keeps getting better and better with every update. I think if Chatter keeps growing at this speed we may have a must-have application for the Treo for any Treo user that wants "True PUSH" email.

Two Thumbs Up for Chatteremail,

Al
    Hey all, nexchange corp lite 1.5c is ready. You can get it from the helpdesk http://support.nextworks.com/helpdesk . It has a bunch of fixes like:
    DST works correctly
    New items in the device get synced to exchange again
    It doesn't reset the device anymore with the licensemgr installed...so if you deleted the licensemgr be sure to install 1.5a then hotsync this prc over it.
    It handles large number of deletes correctly now too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast