Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello!

Currently, I have a have a Sprint Sanyo 7300 and I use Palm Tungsten T5. I am very happy with both, but the phone is not bluetooth. I have an Acura TL with bluetooth and I want to use the hands free feature.

So, my questions are: Is it worth upgrading to Treo 650 and getting away from using the T5. How good is the reception? How good is the speaker feature? I use the PDA for keeping appointments mainly, so I need to schedule them while on talking on the phone.

Thanks for your help and input.

Mark.
    As you can see from my signature line -- I moved from the T3 paired with a bluetooth phone. One device is absolutely great, I will never go back to two(or three). Phone, PDA, EMail, Internet, Calculator, Spreadsheets, Camera, iPod . . . . . .

Most of your concerns have been addressed in the Sprint 1.12 update. Coverage is a matter of where you live and frequent. Most carriers have a 30 day trial period.

And then there is the most passionate user group in the world, this forum and others. You will never be alone!

Try one! My bet, is that you will love it!

Cheers, Perry.
  3.    #3  
    My St. Louis, MO reception is good on my Sanyo, much better then it was on my Samsung. I am mainly concerned about brick buildings, etc. The StL area out in the open is good on any phone. How good is the T650 in brick structures?

Is the speaker reception good quality or do you have to yell to it?

I do not qualify for the trial period, since I am under contract and not good for any phone upgrades. I was thinking about getting the phone from like e-*ay, and then auctioning my Sanyo and T5. I should come out even then.

Thanks, Mark.
    4 bars in my front yard, 2 bars in my basement.

Again, best bet - would be the 30 day trial, take it to your "worst" spots and see. (Since that is not an option, maybe the Sprint store would let you take a Treo 650 out for a spin for a day, if you leave your 1st born and a substantial amount of cash.)

I have never had to yell into mine -- or at mine, in speaker phone mode.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/21/2005 at 12:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_auto_bra
    My St. Louis, MO reception is good on my Sanyo, much better then it was on my Samsung. I am mainly concerned about brick buildings, etc. The StL area out in the open is good on any phone. How good is the T650 in brick structures?

Is the speaker reception good quality or do you have to yell to it?

I do not qualify for the trial period, since I am under contract and not good for any phone upgrades. I was thinking about getting the phone from like e-*ay, and then auctioning my Sanyo and T5. I should come out even then.

Thanks, Mark.
    When will you qualify for an upgrade? I hate to suggest waiting, but my bet is that Sprint (who always gets the Treo models first) will have the Treo 7xx in December. (There is a whole thread on this.) This might be an option, if you cannot get the price you desire on the Sanyo and T5. Of course, in six months the price you can get for them will be down further. Stike while the iron is hot?
  6.    #6  
    I hate waiting. This way you can wait forever. There is always something new coming out soon.

How easy is it to use the calender while on the phone? What is the procedure?

Thanks, Mark.
    If you are using a headset(bluetooth or wired), no problem at all -- you talk and use your PDA functions freely. If you are using the Treo in your hand -- you have to tell the person to hang on, while you bring it away from your ear to use it as a PDA, but the call remains active.

(I wouldn't wait either.)

Cheers, Perry.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    If you are using a headset(bluetooth or wired), no problem at all -- you talk and use your PDA functions freely. If you are using the Treo in your hand -- you have to tell the person to hang on, while you bring it away from your ear to use it as a PDA, but the call remains active.
    Can you put them on a speaker phone and then talk and use the PDA?
    Duh.

Never did that one. Let me try it. Yup.

All PDA functions except Internet Access and sending / recieving emails, only one radio. (I think I have read in other threads that phone calls go to voicemail if you are using the radio for internet access.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/21/2005 at 01:16 PM.
  10.    #10  
    You are giving me a fever.

How are the features on the T650 compare to what you had on the T3?
    Better on the Treo 650.

I thought I would miss the larger screen(that's the only real difference), but I don't, not for the convienence of one device. Maintaining only one contact list is great. Make and keep notes for each of your contacts. Spreadsheets you can scroll. I miss note pad, but diddlebug is fine. Others have put the LifeDrive notepad.prc onto the Treo 650 -- there is a thread. . .

I almost went for the 600, when it came out, but could not give up the T3 screen for a smaller 160x160 pixel screen. But the 320x320 of the Treo 650 is great. Not one regret in my move.

Cheers, Perry.

(As you can tell, I am totally unbiased.)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    All PDA functions except Internet Access and sending / recieving emails, only one radio. (I think I have read in other threads that phone calls go to voicemail if you are using the radio for internet access.)
    What??? You can access the internet thought radio? How does that work? Or do you need another internet connection like PCS Vision from Sprint?

Thanks, Mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_auto_bra
    What??? You can access the internet thought radio? How does that work? Or do you need another internet connection like PCS Vision from Sprint?

Thanks, Mark.

Radio = cell phone (a two way radio) Not radio, as in AM/FM, although you can stream some live radio thru Pocket Tunes thru the Internet access. . . .

Yes, the Treo comes with Internet access and VersaMail for wireless email access to your home and work email accounts (up to 8) -- if they are POP3 servers.

You have to get two plans: your cell phone minute plan and then $15 a month (on Sprint) for unlimited data (internet) usage.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/21/2005 at 01:58 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Ok, that is what I thought. What did you mean by internet through the radio? You lost me.

Thanks, Mark.
    See my edit of #13.

Cheers, Perry
  16.    #16  
    Still lost, even after the edit.
    Radio is a term that Palm uses to refer to the electronics inside the Treo that make it a cell phone. . . . and you cannot use those electronics simultaneously for cell phone usage and internet access.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/21/2005 at 01:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Cell phones communicate via radio waves. Always have.

He means that you'll have wireless internet access right there within your treo650. No extra stuff required. Just make sure you have Vision service on your plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz
    Cell phones communicate via radio waves. Always have.

He means that you'll have wireless internet access right there within your treo650. No extra stuff required. Just make sure you have Vision service on your plan.
    Thanks, ssrjazz!
    Bluetooth Car Kit compatibility:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(39902)#supported

I guess the above won't auto link, you will have to paste the address into your web browser. . . . Acura was listed as Yes w/ a footnote.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast