1.    #1  
    Don't assume that the upgrade will go smoothly, or that you can do it quickly. I had a bulletproof unlocked GSM Treo 650, prior to the upgrade, that almost never rebooted on its own or had any other problems. But the lure of the better memory usage got to me and I installed the upgrade this afternoon. I followed the "alternative" upgrade procedures exactly, to the letter, including updating Docs to Go (the only app that I had installed that was listed as needing an upgrade). The install went fine but when I restored my original user profile, as detailed in the instructions, the Treo went into an endless reset loop. I cold-booted, and tried the restore again ... same endless loop.

So now I'm back to reinstalling apps one at a time, using Uninstall Manager, to try to determine what isn't working. What a gigantic pain in the a**.
    I never had a non-versamail reset on my 650 until the update day before yesterday. I had three resets yesterday and one of them took out all of my preferences.

I guess I'll have to wipe and start installing one-by-one.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    It seems like since my upgrade on my unlocked GSM from 1.08 to 1.13, now my Versamail crashes when opening the app. Before, it rarely, if ever, crashed. I thought the upgrade was supposed to make the app MORE STABLE, not the other way around! Or, I also loaded VolumeCare, Palmary Clock, and PalmaryPhoto Frame, and, I didn't check/update to the most current Docs to Go/Zap/E Reader, perhaps that could be affecting Versamail? In any case, Versamail is currently unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by rouxdoo
    I never had a non-versamail reset on my 650 until the update day before yesterday. I had three resets yesterday and one of them took out all of my preferences.

I guess I'll have to wipe and start installing one-by-one.
    Treo 650 & T-Mobile
    User Error.

Lots of other people haven't had the problem. Either you forgot to take some update files off the SD card, or you didn't follow the instructions. I'd say it's also possible you have a bad program that isn't behaving nicely with 1.28, try doing a soft-reset and pressing UP on the Five-way to disable any programs from registering and running at startup.

Either way that would stop the cycling, move one at a time to the SD card to keep it from running at boot, delete it, whatever is easiest, and figure out which program is doing it. Report back the version here for someone else in case they have the same problem.

In case you don't know, you don't have to do *all* programs, just ones that run "in the background", stuff like Chatter, VolumeCare, TreoAlarm, etc.
  5. r0n
    For the one's that have/had the looping problem... did you do a hard reset before performing the upgrade? I'm wondering if the people who are having problems didn't do a hard reset?

I had firmware 1.00 and software 1.00-aws, upgraded to a newer firmware before upgrading to the latest treo firmware 1.28 and software 1.13-ROW with no problems. Both times I did a hard reset before performing an upgrades. Once done restored from backup and had no problems.

I was having lots of problems before the upgrade, now it's 99% better.

I also want to put this note in.... I have read that some that had CNG (cingular) software and upgrade to ROW (unlocked version) had to get their phones unlocked to use the unlocked firmware /software version.

My phone was unlocked so I didn't have this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by r0n
    I also want to put this note in.... I have read that some that had CNG (cingular) software and upgrade to ROW (unlocked version) had to get their phones unlocked to use the unlocked firmware /software version.

My phone was unlocked so I didn't have this problem.
    Not true at all. The only thing the "unlocked" ROM looks for to update is if you have ROW after the software number. If you have CNG or AWS it won't update. That's why people with CNG or AWS are going to 1.15 or 1.21 or 1.23 before going to 1.28. 1.15, 1.21 & 1.23 don't care what ROM you have. Then you get the ROW and THEN you can go to the unlocked 1.28.

Updating to the unlocked software doesn't care if your phone unlocked or not, nor does it actually unlock your phone after you install it.

My guess as to why some people are having issues is due to the backups on their computers. Some file in there is causing the reset loops. Some screw up in hotsync at some point in the past, or some file is getting restored to the Treo650 for a program that has been long deleted, but for some reason the backup is restoring that file to the Treo and its causing problem. It's very similar to all the issues people were having when the 650 first came out and people were going from the 600 to the 650 and having issue.

My suggestion is to do a fresh install of all your apps after you upgrade. Rename your current user to something else and create a new user using your old name, then hotsync all the programs you have installed. Makes for a much cleaner install.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750