1.    #1  
    Folks,

I have found the GSM performance on Cingular with the 650 to be very inconsistent and annoying. The wort problem is dropping calls, and then hanging up only to get 4 bars instantly. On the HowardForums, this has been noted as a "known problem" with the 650.

Today, I went through an area where I consistently have no signal on the 650 for about 6 minutes (sos only -- I think this means it has a T-Mobile signal). I also had my wifes Motorola on Cingular. Guess what -- it could make and complete calls when my 650 could not. THE ENTIRE TIME!!! During this commute, I cross over the Mass Pike, so you know there is a signal.

I am on my second GSM 650, since the first one had a serious hardware problem and was replaced under the 30 day return warranty. I doubt it is a defective unit becuase the old one was the same.

It seems to me that the GSM 650 has a major problem switching cell towers, and reregistering on new towers after it has "lost" the Cingular signal. The same thing was mentioned on HowardForums.

Has anyone else noticed this? Around my area (Boston and area), the 650 is terrible compared to Sprint and Verizon (my previous providers). As a phone it is terrible.

At this point, I am so frustrated with bad RF, I would eat the cancellation charges just to get some good service. Has anyone else noticed the same?

BTW, I am using the latest 64K SIM and the original Cingular 1.04 firmware. I could update to the latest generic GSM firmware, but I beleive Cingular and AT&T asked P1 for some special logic to use both networks. So I don't want to just install the generic GSM updates. It has been a miserable two months since switching to Cingular -- it is the worst RF I have had over the last 10 years.

Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    Folks,

The wort problem is dropping calls, and then hanging up only to get 4 bars instantly. On the HowardForums, this has been noted as a "known problem" with the 650.
    Agreed - I have this problem all the time. Bars seem to have nothing whatsoever to do with voice quality, so I was assuming that cingular was oversubscribing their service in the locations I use the most - work and home.

The frustration has been ridiculous, and I pine for the days I was with sprint. The other day, my girlfriend said "You haven't been happy since you got that new phone!".
    Nice People Suck Less.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Hi, I'm sorry to hear that the both of you are having such a hard time with Cingular. Belive it or not ever since the ATT & Cingular merger I get service in areas where I never did before. I originally purchased my treo 650 from Plam and have never had a problem with service or the phone and I have my original sim card from 3 1/2 years ago. BTW I use my phone in Manhattan, brooklyn and the bronx every day and sometimes i get signal in the undergorund train stations.
    I"ve had no problems with mine. voice quality is much better my GF says. My previous nokia was pretty good her motorola I think on the same service doesnt' work in places my nokia and treo do.

I have not had any calls drop either however I have hung up a few times with my cheek.
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaver
    Hi, I'm sorry to hear that the both of you are having such a hard time with Cingular. Belive it or not ever since the ATT & Cingular merger I get service in areas where I never did before. I originally purchased my treo 650 from Plam and have never had a problem with service or the phone and I have my original sim card from 3 1/2 years ago. BTW I use my phone in Manhattan, brooklyn and the bronx every day and sometimes i get signal in the undergorund train stations.
    I agree with soulreaver. I am new to Cingular though. But I used Sprint for like 2 years. I don't have many complaints for sprint. For me it is very decent. And I don't mind dropped calls, missed calls. But with Sprint I used to drop off from a call, you can say 1 in 20 calls.. and sometime I see full signal strength but message goes to voicemail directly.. I know we have some issues with every service provider. But I am using Cingular from 1month and never dropped off a call... till now....