1.    #1  
    After installing the firmware upgrade, all is fine, but the low volume problem persists - callers are still difficult to hear even when the volume is set to maximum. Any idea if Palm will issue a patch at some point? I see the Sprint phones had this fixed with an earlier upgrade...
    If they didn't this time I can't imagine why they would in the future. They have been well aware of it since the GSM 650 has been released. However that's a question I'm sure NO ONE could possibly answer with any certainty. Of course they "might" but it also might hit 100 degrees in February in Nw Jersey.
    I had the Treo 600 unlocked on T-Mobile and just upgraded to the Treo 650 unlocked on T-Mobile and the volume level is extremely different. The 600 was perfect with the call volume..could be really loud..but the 650 is just barely loud enough. I sometimes wonder if it's the little hump on the earpiece that's also muffling the sound. The 600 didn't have this hump.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Try Volume care. On My GSM Treo with ROW1.28 and VC installed the volume is too loud if I have everything set to MAX.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I'm SO dissapointed with the GSM patch with regards to volume. The earpiece volume is not at ALL louder. They did nothing with it. Perhaps the clarity has improved a bit, but I still can't hear ANYTHING when walking outside in the city.

I'm SO frustrated. To pay $600+ for a phone that I can't hear on..

This update was supposed to be my reason to keep the 650. Unfortunately it did not deliver.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Did you guys try increasing the volume to max with the side volume keys while on a call?
    The 1.28 upgrade fixed the volume button which used to only increase ringer volume on a call, not call volume. If you use the side volume button off a call, it changes the ringer volume.

Just a thought.
    I am using VolumeCare. While it works great to keep the volume at maximum all the time it did not increase the EARPIECE VOLUME any louder then it was without VolumeCare - which isn't nearly loud enough. It may have helped with the speakerphone volume but when putting the 650 to my ear (which is the normal method of using it as a phone) it made no difference for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    Try Volume care. On My GSM Treo with ROW1.28 and VC installed the volume is too loud if I have everything set to MAX.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    I am using VolumeCare. While it works great to keep the volume at maximum all the time it did not increase the EARPIECE VOLUME any louder then it was without VolumeCare - which isn't nearly loud enough. It may have helped with the speakerphone volume but when putting the 650 to my ear (which is the normal method of using it as a phone) it made no difference for me.
    I ditto this one. No loader for handset volume, but an noticable increase in the speakerphone volume.

Also tried to increase MIC volume - no comments from the other party (which is in fact a good sign since it indicates that the echoing issue is addressed)

Haven't tried 1.28/1.13/VolumeCare on BT yet...
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I am also very disappointed in the lack of improvement for the sound levels while using the phone. The sound levels seem to be fine for other applications such as RealPlayer. In fact for it I have to turn it almost all the way down. But when using the phone it is still unacceptable including when using my Bluetooth headset.

I agree that VolumeCare does not fix the real problem.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I'm suprised I don't hear more CDMA users complaining also. I've got a VZW 650 and the call volume is substantially lower (even when set to maximum) than any of the 5 previous phones I've had. I've always used the phones with the call volumes set to max because I frequently talk on my daily commute while driving with the windows down. Now I have to put both windows up completely, or use my hand free (good idea anyway), when on a call.

I could see standing at a busy intersection making it difficult to hear a caller also.

I also hope Palm will release a patch to address this issue.

Aside from this issue, I have been very, very pleased will my 650!

-jeff
    I use a wired headset with my combo of GSM phone running 1.28 with volumecare. With everything set to MAX it is too loud.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    That's strange, because when I upgraded from firmware 1.21 to 1.28, I noticed a significant increase in earpiece volume. Now, I would admit, there have been times, post-update, that I've wanted the earpiece volume to be louder. But in my oppinion, with the volume set to max, the device is now more usable.

Just my .02
    The volume didn't increase but the quality did. No more hissing.
    After installing 1.28, I agree with Aussie.
    after the FW upgrade I have better earpiece volume, and noticably much greater Speakerphone volume.

It was unacceptably low prior to the 1.28.

But the earpiece has now at least reached the bare minimum of usability. (it should still be able to push beyond that level though, for use on streetcorners, and very loud environments.)

The speakerphone has changed much more.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)