1.    #1  
    I will be getting my first Treo, a 650 through work. We use Outlook and subscribe to Goodlink.

My understanding is that my Outlook will sync wirelessly (push) from corporate through Goodlink for my Outlook apps (Cal, Contacts, Notes, ToDos).

What about 3rd pary apps like SplashID etc.. ? Do I still have to install TREO sync software and just disable the Cal, Contacts, Notes, and ToDo conduits?

Can I still use Datebook and Address+ apps?

Little confused.

Thanks,
    Bob
  2.    #2  
    Can anyone take a minute to help? Am I the first with this question?
    If you are running GoodLink, GoodLink will replace the calendar, contact, notes and email on your Treo. There are various workarounds to enable some functionality with the Palm native apps that you can find in the GoodLink thread as well as in other threads.
  4.    #4  
    My company uses Goodlink and my Treo will be ready tomorrow I think. We use Outlook here. However, I have another peronal email account with an ISP and my own domain. Will Versamail or other POP client be able to send/retrieve mail there as well.

I am sure things will become apparent when I get it, I am having withdrawl anxiety from my cell phone & Clie.
    Yes, you can use another app to pull email from a POP account.
  6. jda
    Quote Originally Posted by ae1m
    I will be getting my first Treo, a 650 through work. We use Outlook and subscribe to Goodlink.

My understanding is that my Outlook will sync wirelessly (push) from corporate through Goodlink for my Outlook apps (Cal, Contacts, Notes, ToDos).

What about 3rd pary apps like SplashID etc.. ? Do I still have to install TREO sync software and just disable the Cal, Contacts, Notes, and ToDo conduits?

Can I still use Datebook and Address+ apps?

Little confused.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Yes, you can still install Palm Desktop and Hotsync off the Treo CD to sync any other apps/data aside from the Outlook info that Goodlink will handle. Just make sure that when you do the install you tell it to sync with Palm Desktop and NOT to sync with Outlook.

You can't use Datebook and Address+ since Goodlink stores your calendar, contact, Notes, and Todo in it's own software and not in the standard Palm software that Datebook and other apps like it would need. After using Goodlink for a while I don't think you'll want to use any other software anyway.
  7. 909
    FYI: if you install the palm desktop, it will overwrite part of the goodlink contacts. I have seen this happen on a couple 650's. You can tell this happened when you hit your contacts from the phone screen and it will tell you to initialize goodlink first. This happens even though GL is initialized. The fix is to reprovision the device IF you were setup for OTA deployment. Not sure if this is anywhere here or not but.... To reprovision the device OTA (Over The Air), go to the home screen for goodlink. Hold the shift button and type in DEBUG then hit the enter key. This is the debug menu and will prompt at the bottom like this (Command type in "reprov" and hit ender (without the quotes) it will reply and ask if you're sure. Type in the whole word "Yes" and hit enter again. You will go to a setup screen and it will reinstall the software on TOP of the palm contacts and various other things. This will make GL happy again.

Hope this helps!
  8.    #8  
    Thank you very much. One more question if you please...

Today, I am using a PalmOS handheld. I sync by USB with my PC at work running Outlook and use Intellisync to synce Outlook on the work PC with my handheld.

I also have a laptop at home that I sync to the same handheld to keep my schedule in both places.

When I get the Treo with Goodlink which syncs over the air with my work Outlook, is there a way for me to also sync the Treo with my laptop at home using a cable for calendar and contacts?

I understand Goodlink uses a different format for the contacts/datebook, and another poster (909) described a problem when using Palm Desktop.

Thanks for any suggestions and comments. Hope to see the Treo from IT today.

Bob
  9. 909
    Bob,

You need to use the features in Outlook to sync with your work Exchange server. Right now, you've become "trained" so to speak to use your palm device as an email transport to pick up email from work and move it to the laptop. To directly answer your question, you will not be able to sync the device back to the laptop the way you're thinking of doing it. Remember, the treo sync's to the EXCHANGE server and not outlook. The conduit you've used in the past has now completely changed. Pocket Mirror and Intellisync sync outlook to palm which is now been overtaken by GL. You will need to sync the laptop up to exchange directly. Your company should have another mechanism to do this properly. It may be VPN connectivity, dialup, etc... Check with the IT guy that delivers the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by 909
    FYI: if you install the palm desktop, it will overwrite part of the goodlink contacts. I have seen this happen on a couple 650's. You can tell this happened when you hit your contacts from the phone screen and it will tell you to initialize goodlink first. This happens even though GL is initialized. The fix is to reprovision the device IF you were setup for OTA deployment. Not sure if this is anywhere here or not but.... To reprovision the device OTA (Over The Air), go to the home screen for goodlink. Hold the shift button and type in DEBUG then hit the enter key. This is the debug menu and will prompt at the bottom like this (Command type in "reprov" and hit ender (without the quotes) it will reply and ask if you're sure. Type in the whole word "Yes" and hit enter again. You will go to a setup screen and it will reinstall the software on TOP of the palm contacts and various other things. This will make GL happy again.

Hope this helps!
    One other thing is that after you re-provision, you will need to run the fetch command to repopulate your folders.

go to the GoodLink Home Screen

type the word 'debug' without quotes
    you will get a command prompt
    type 'fetch 1000 inbox:*' again without quotes, and hit the return key

this will populate all of your folders. If you have more than 1000 emails to move, you can do it multiple times.
  11. jda
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    One other thing is that after you re-provision, you will need to run the fetch command to repopulate your folders.

go to the GoodLink Home Screen

type the word 'debug' without quotes
    you will get a command prompt
    type 'fetch 1000 inbox:*' again without quotes, and hit the return key

this will populate all of your folders. If you have more than 1000 emails to move, you can do it multiple times.
    Wow!! What a great tip. Thanks GoodGuy. I had no idea you could do that.
  12. jda
    Quote Originally Posted by ae1m
    Thank you very much. One more question if you please...

Today, I am using a PalmOS handheld. I sync by USB with my PC at work running Outlook and use Intellisync to synce Outlook on the work PC with my handheld.

I also have a laptop at home that I sync to the same handheld to keep my schedule in both places.

When I get the Treo with Goodlink which syncs over the air with my work Outlook, is there a way for me to also sync the Treo with my laptop at home using a cable for calendar and contacts?

I understand Goodlink uses a different format for the contacts/datebook, and another poster (909) described a problem when using Palm Desktop.

Thanks for any suggestions and comments. Hope to see the Treo from IT today.

Bob
    I agree with 909. For your laptop at home you need to find another way to get your work schedule onto it. Outlook Web Access works very well, especially if your company uses Exchange 2003. This won't sync your schedule to your laptop but it does provide a real-time access to your Exchange/Outlook account right in your web browser. If you need to use the full Outlook client then see if your IT deparment will provide you with a VPN connection or they can enable HTTP over RPC on the Exchange server to eliminate the need for VPN.
  13. AKC
    Good Guy my company is using versamail to for email and calendar syncing. I have a small business and I purchased goodlink thru mailstreet. before I try it and crash my phone can goodlink and versamail work at the sametime? Can I maintain two calendars, two email accounts at the same time?