Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    $$$ Attention all Palm Developers!!! $$$

    $$$ What would it cost for someone to write or create a full graffiti 1 library to work for my treo 650 or anyones 650

    I recently downloaded a graffiti 1 library for my 650 but none of my punctuations work and the strokes are limited (in conjuction with the
    Palm Software "Graffiti Anywhere)

    I'm willing to pay... why, because I love writing on my Palm Treo

    Hit me
    "enjoy your life"
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by 4thpower

    I'm willing to pay... why, because I love writing on my Palm Treo

    Hit me
    Me too!
  3. #3  
    I have been using the graffiti 1 library along with Graffiti Anywhere with no problems on my Treo 650. However, I stick primarily to the alphabet.

    What chartacter are missing for you?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    I have been using the graffiti 1 library along with Graffiti Anywhere with no problems on my Treo 650. However, I stick primarily to the alphabet.

    What chartacter are missing for you?
    none of my punctuations work like the comma or the period...
    do they work for you?
    "enjoy your life"
  5. #5  
    Try MobileWrite, it has a free trial at www.inkmarksoftware.com .
  6. #6  
    i have to ask why you bought a treo if you don't want to use the thumbboard? It's what pulled me toward a treo in the first place. I just don't get it. I used graffiti for years...once I got my old Treo 270, I NEVER looked back. Just curious...
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  7. #7  
    Writing with Graffiti was very quick - the thumbboard is OK but not as quick for me, at least. In particular when you are writing with Graffiti you can make all your strokes in just one small area, whereas when using the thumbboard you have to move across the keyboard. This definitely takes longer. The worst is switching to upper case and typing numbers, both of which are much slower than Graffiti was as you now have two keystrokes, each one which requires you to find the right key, when with Graffiti you just had two gestures, one of which was very quick.

    What I really can't understand is why they removed the feature. OK have a thumbboard, but why stop people using Graffiti if that is their preference? And many loyal Palm are familiar and comfortable with it...
    Last edited by ncollingridge; 06/27/2005 at 12:47 PM.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncollingridge
    The worst is switching to upper case and typing numbers, both of which are much slower than Graffiti was as you now have two keystrokes, each one which requires you to find the right key, when with Graffiti you just had two gestures, one of which was very quick.
    with Graffiti Anywhere, you also have the option of writing a letter in the middle of the Alpha- and Numeric fields for a capital letter, eliminating the uppercase stroke altogether.

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    i have to ask why you bought a treo if you don't want to use the thumbboard?
    The thumboard is not the ONLY attraction to the treo. In fact it is merely a single feature in a rather extensive list. I rarely use the thumboard myself, unless I need punctuations to supplement the lack of them in Graffiti 1. My main reason for initially getting a treo is the convergence of a Phone, Palm Pilot, and fairly basic Audio player into a single compact unit with a nice form-factor. Obviously it has many more functions than simply a thumboard device, and that single feature wasn't even a factor in my decision to purchase the treo.

    Quote Originally Posted by LongKesh
    Quote Originally Posted by 4thpower
    I'm willing to pay... why, because I love writing on my Palm Treo
    Hit me
    Me too!
    I'm willing to pay also...
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncollingridge
    Writing with Graffiti was very quick - the thumbboard is OK but not as quick for me, at least. In particular when you are writing with Graffiti you can make all your strokes in just one small area, whereas when using the thumbboard you have to move across the keyboard. This definitely takes longer. The worst is switching to upper case and typing numbers, both of which are much slower than Graffiti was as you now have two keystrokes, each one which requires you to find the right key, when with Graffiti you just had two gestures, one of which was very quick.
    KeyCaps600 (works on 650 too) is great for caps and numbers. Also shortcuts5 for...well, shortcuts.

    I miss JOT/WordComplete with G1 on my TT.
  10. #10  
    You can also use TealScript ( http://www.tealpoint.com/softscrp.htm ) to do this.

    Of course, there is no dedicated text entry area on a Treo 650, so you have to turn on the "write anywhere" option to have the touchscreen do double-duty. The cool thing is that you can tweak as much as you want both the strokes used for recognition and how the program differentiates between graffiti strokes and screen taps meant for controls on the screen.


    Quote Originally Posted by 4thpower
    $$$ Attention all Palm Developers!!! $$$

    $$$ What would it cost for someone to write or create a full graffiti 1 library to work for my treo 650 or anyones 650
    Hit me
  11. chankla's Avatar
    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    #11  
    I actually own a license of TealPoint and made a good effort to try to adapt. Alas, its pen-down sensing always was in conflict with the sensing of a "tap" which was frustrating becuase neither works right all of the time (having a dedicated area to write within helps get around this tricky technical problem).

    Would I pay for a cheaper, better pen-stroke sensing algorithm that did Graffiti 1 for the T650 - you betcha. Maybe even $15. Heck, I paid more than that for Teal and they didn't get it quite right...

    At any rate, there was something that I tried that was close - it was called NewPen. But the doggone thing didn't do punctuation. So I am s-l-o-w-l-y trying to adapt to using the keypad and 5-way button. I rarely take the stylus out anymore except to use the ink pen that is in it. Sad, really - that something so fundamental to us original "piloteers" is gone.

    But I am getting pretty darn fast on this Treo 650 keypad...
  12. #12  
    Don't know about Grafitti 1 library - because they legal issues with that & G2 is already in the Treo ROM so that could be what's causing conflict.

    I also 2nd the motion though... I still use Grafitti & the keyboard. The bullet character (one of my most frequently used) used to be easy to enter - now seems very convoluted. So I created a shortcut for them...but first I had to find the original Shortcut apps..

    See the files attached (Eng. overlay) this will get you back your Prefs, Shortcuts, Grafitti 2 Prefs (customise characters like t). I got these off a Tungsten E. Would have been better off a T5 but I can't get my hands on one.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  13. #13  
    one of my major gripes about Teal (no intent to turn this thread into a teal-bashing one) - other than the inability to differentiate between writing & tapping as chankla pointed out - is that it had too many recognition strokes, some of which were way too close to one another.

    I applaud Teal for their work in making it trainable so one can get it to best match their own style, but the multitude of strokes just meant I had to spend a bunch of time trying to find that one stroke that was so close that it repeatedly recorded one character when I was trying to make another.

Posting Permissions