1.    #1  
    Since I have gotten my Treo 650 I noticed that certain electronic devices like the speakers in my truck are prone to interference especially when the phone is about to ring.

It seems to me to be a grounding issue.

Does anyone know if a ground loop isolator will help with this issue?
    you know I also noticed this with my treo 180 and 650. I used it as a feature to be able to pick up the phone before it rang while I was at work. It seems to occur when the phone is near any set of speakers. I assumed it was the fluxuating EMF from the cell phone radio antenna inducing a current in the wires for the speakers which is thereby translated into the stereotypical pulsing buzz pattern. I didn't think you could fix it without shielding the speakers and all the wiring from the output to the speaker itself. What is this ground loop isolator? How would it work?
  3.    #3  
    Ground loop is basically differences in resistance in an electrical system. If you ever plug your computer into your home stereo system you might hear a hum. This is usually caused by a ground loop.

Although the interference with the phone might differ since they are not on the same electrical system I was hoping a ground loop isolator might help....
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Question - you people with this pre-call speaker buzz problem, are your Treos GSM or CDMA?

GSM phones' radios do funny things that CDMA phones don't.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    I have a GSM 650, and I have this problems severely. It's ignorable on computer speakers, but really obnoxious when it starts interfering with the Home Theater Subwoofer...
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    GSM phones' radios do things that CDMA phones' radios don't do and that could be the answer. I'm not an expert at the difference between the two types of radios.

Altec Lansing sells a desktop Treo 650 speaker system / charger / speaker phone/ docking station (it's in the TC store..) .. and they say it is for CDMA Treos only but they don't say why. We found out why. The reason is that GSM phones send out a radio signal every so often (talking to their closest tower or something like that saying "here I am!").. that causes an audible blurp in the speakers. CDMA phones don't do it. I have a SprintPCS Treo 650 and never hear any kind of pre-ring noise or blurp in my speakers. My laptop is literally a foot away from my Seidio INNOdock cradle where my 650 lives when it's not in my pocket. I have the ThinkOutside Boomtube system connected to my laptop. I often wear highly wonderful Sony MDR-V6 headphones (frequency response flat from 5hz to 30khz!..) .. to listen to music and DVDs off my laptop (in fact, I'm wearing them right now, listening to David Gilmour's new "On An Island" CD..) .. and I have NEVER heard this problem described above. Our writer, Jay Gross, has the Altec Lansing speaker system, and is working on a review of it, and has verified this by using his own GSM Treo 650 and his neighbor's CDMA Treo 650.

I'll copy this to him and ask him to jump in on this thread too. I think he has slightly more technical information than what I just typed. When he asked Altec Lansing why they say their speaker system is for CDMA Treos only, they couldn't / wouldn't even answer him. So he did some research on his own.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    I have my 650 cradle sitting about 12" from my desktop speaker system. It will sit there all day long w/o issue until I go to use the data services and it will start to generate some chatter / buzz over the speakers which seems to be caused the signal out from the phone. Similarly, if I go to make a call, it will start it also but at an almost inaudible level.

As far as the "every so often" random signal generation thing, I have observed this but on very rare occasions. I sit at my desk in excess of 14 hours a day more days than not with my 50 sitting in the cradle or next to it and if I hear this noise once every two weeks it's a lot. It's like a buzz-silence-buzz-buzz thing with each "buzz" lasting a second or so.

As for my audio entertainment system, there seems to be no effect. I have four 12" cones in each of the the bass towers and they are not affected.