1.    #1  
    I've had my Treo 650 from Verizon for about 18 days now and having an issue that I have not been able to resolve. Occassionally the Treo performs a soft reset on its own and when the phone is turned on the display shows a series of nonsense characters where it's supposed to say Verizon Wireless. The characters are usually a series of squares and various symbols like #%$&. This even happens after I've purposely performed a soft reset. Has anyone else seen this behavior in their Treo? Should I go for an exchange??

TIA.
    Ive had it for a few days.. I'm wondering.. have you found that the signal is not as strong on the verizon treo as your old phone that you had? I got much better reception on my old phones.. definitely noticable.. did you see the same thing...

Are there any updates for treo 650 vzw?
    Since giving up on my unlocked 650 and porting over to a VZW 650, I have noticed horrible reception issues. I have missed too many calls as well as had numerous dropped calls since converting. I know it is the device since my wife & daughter's VZW phones are more stable / reliable. I can't win! The VZW device is more stable in terms of resets, etc than my 3rd unlocked 650 that is now just a paperweight. I also get the strange characters.
    TVProgrammer I have had the same problem. In my case the cause of the problem (resets, etc) was always VersaMail.

One of the POP accounts I have set up somehow became corrupt. Every time I tried to check my mail on that account my Treo 650 did a soft reset. When I deleted and recreated the account everything was fine.

To quickly fix the scrammbled characters issue I simply turned the phone off and then turned it back on. Everything went back to normal.

I have had my phone about 1 month now and have experienced the VersaMail problem twice so far.
    I just had the same problem. I don't have Versamail installed. Tech support couldn't help, so I exchanged the phone. (I'm also on Verizon).
    After perusing the board further, I found other posts addressing this issue. Apparently, no fix yet. Check out the thread titled: Verizon Treo 650 thread: Problems, things missing, & suggestions!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by race
    -I have noticed that in the phone mode, the words 'Verizon Wireless' are sometimes replaced with garbage characters that have no meaning. If i do a *228 it will correct itself, or occasionally if i do a soft reset. no big deal, but clearly a bug.

This happened to me the other night... upon reading the manual, it seems that the phone is in "roam" mode. You can still make and recieve calls without a problem, it just "looks" terrible. (pg 39 of manual). Mine always have the little pyramid next to the garbage, as you say. I did not download the dun patch.