Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    I'm happier than a homosexual at an all-male college for the Fine Arts. PalmOne did a good job.
    Look thilly, don't make me push that triangle!

http://www.prideid.com/i/tn_triangle_sticker.jpg
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    As far as this hardware version, I'm quite happy now. I still wish we'd see some wifi drivers for the PalmOne card, but I've given up hope there. It would have been done by now, I think. I would say it's pretty much perfect now.

As for the perfect Treo, it would have to be EV-DO. I'd rather have that in the next version than lose it because of wifi.

Joe
    Are serious replies welcome in this thread as well? If so, here are mine...

This patch is indeed a very good thing. I was especially pleasantly surprised to learn that they had figured out a way to diminish the keyboard backlighting which we were told was a hardware thing that couldn't be fixed.

Adding BT DUN is also a surprise, though I must admit that I'm still worried about whether that might mean that Sprint plans to hit us with a enterprise-focused $50+ data plan for BT "tethered" usage.

Software-wise, I'd like to see the following:
    1) Voice dialing over BT. And, frankly, basic functionality should be offered for free as it is on most other modern phones, but I'll live with having to pay for it if they can at least fix whatever OS issues are preventing this from working at all.

2) I'd like an update to the phone screen/launcher which bring back some of the Treo 600 goodness. Specifically:
    a) The ability to dial by name *OR* phone number with the phone figuring out which you're doing rather than setting a preference setting telling it that you're always going to do one or the other.
    b) The 5-way quick-launch.

3) I liked the Treo 600 email app better. It always worked for auto-fetch. But I haven't had a chance to try out VersaMail's autofetch with this latest patch, so maybe they fixed that, too.

I'm sure that I'm missing some things that could be addressed via software. Even if that did all that and more, though, there are still several hardware things that they "broke" in the upgrade from the 600 to the 650 which can't be fixed, such as the much less usable D-Pad which I have to use with my fingernail (and it now has paint coming off of it as a result). As much as I hated the 600's thumbboard, I honestly think that might have been better than this new design which I think gives me more typos unless I, again, use my fingernail to push the keys.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I am happy, but the BT seems bad ot me - known issues interacting with HFL in Acura - first call drops consistently, seems hard to get a static free headset with quick pick up - i am on a third scala 500.

N0ow flame me and tell me your acura works perfectly and so does your headset
    This is sad, but it was the end of July 2004, 11 months ago, that the rumors began about the new state-of-the-art Treo 650! So for about a year now, many of us have been anticipating a great new device. More memory, faster data connection, high resolution (megapixel) camera, Wi-Fi, complete Bluetooth usability, voice dialing, a great email client and many more features to boot. Funny how things don't change much in a year!

I want all the above plus the new hot application, "push" email.
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    Are people finding the low volume problem to be completely resolved? I'm not noticing much of a difference ....
    I'm hearing a big difference with the speakerphone and not much change with the handset volume. Bluetooth sound quality appears unchanged as well. I was hoping for a bit more volume from the handset. I installed VolumeCare but it didn't help much as it relates to the handset.
    I dont notice any change in the volume with the handset as well. The speakerphone is loud but with hissing noise as before. And bluetooth volume is at the same level as before, so it still needs more improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    2) I'd like an update to the phone screen/launcher which bring back some of the Treo 600 goodness. Specifically:
    a) The ability to dial by name *OR* phone number with the phone figuring out which you're doing rather than setting a preference setting telling it that you're always going to do one or the other.
    In the phone app, in General Preferences, there is a pull down menu with the following choices: Typing Dials Phone Number & Typing Starts Contacts Search. If you switch it to Typing Starts Contacts Search, then when you start typing on the keypad, the treo will start looking for a contact as well as dialing a number (if you start typing on the number keys) until it reaches a point where the contact is not in your contacts list and then it'll default to the numbers being dialled. Is this what you were referring to?
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I would like a much more stable operating system.... For god's sake...Palm is basically an 8 year old platform right? Why oh why is the operating system still so flaky as to crash once every two or three days or whatever? I don't expect Unix stability...but come on.... They can do a better job.
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob
    In the phone app, in General Preferences, there is a pull down menu with the following choices: Typing Dials Phone Number & Typing Starts Contacts Search. If you switch it to Typing Starts Contacts Search, then when you start typing on the keypad, the treo will start looking for a contact as well as dialing a number (if you start typing on the number keys) until it reaches a point where the contact is not in your contacts list and then it'll default to the numbers being dialled. Is this what you were referring to?
    Doh! Thanks. I knew about that pull-down but I thought they had changed it with the 650 so that it was now an either-or thing. I even thought I tested it out when I first got my 650, but I just tried it again and it works just as I want it to. Thanks! I feel like a happy ***** now.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    How about adding a feature that every cell phone I've ever owned has. Adding a number that is not in your phone book to an existing contact!!! Why don't more people complain about this very simple lacking feature?
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    palmOne has made me a very happy person. All I ask is Network Selection for Cingular. I plan on calling in tomorrow and tossing them a weak connection issue and hope for an OTA update that will let me select my own network. It's funny though, because when I updated my device, before I powered on the phone, I noticed that I had the option for Network Selection, after I got a connection with Cingular, it was gone.
    So how did this conversation go? I too would like this, what is the basic script you follow to get them to release an OTA update?
    Quote Originally Posted by manorton
    Feedback on this one? Anyone?
    I gained about 0.5 MB of memory with the update.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I would like to have the "flash" feature fixed when making a call. All else is good!
    I'm happy with the update, my major complaints were addressed the only complaint I have is that I still have to press the power button 2-3 times to get the unit to turn on...this may be a 3rd party app I have installed that's causing that confilct, but still...it sucks..and it's still sometimes slow switching to the phone app...but I'm so glad they changed the way the dialing delay works!
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Quote Originally Posted by copwriter
    I gained about 0.5 MB of memory with the update.
    About the same for me, just a little less i think, 0.4 MB

Not sure if it is something they did or if its just whenever you do a hard reset and restore you get rid of some "junk" that has been floating around.
    I still locks up on me every few days.....
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    I'm not happy.

Still need the Cingular upgrade

I bought my phone from Cingular (full retail about a week ago.) Plenty of time left on my thirty day trial. I wonder if I should return it and get an Palm One unlocked GSM version.......
    If you want the Palm unlocked GSM version, just apply the new upgrade...you'll need to do the 1.21 or 1.23 upgrade first, but then you'll have all the fixes that palm is currently supplying for GSM (although it does not appear to be equal to the updates for Sprint, but that is a whole-nother thread.)

good luck

rob
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    I gained about 5-6megs after the update so I think I'm sitting pretty right about now...at least for now, but still waiting for palm to fix the side button silence ringer bug (I would have thought that they would have addressed this but guess I was mistaken)

rob
    Move to New orleans. Goes on Everyday
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast