1.    #1  
    Checked and found very minimal info on this.

My work e-mail now switched to Exchange 2003. No POP3, no IMAP. So I have to forward all the e-mail to fastmail using a rule in Outlook. The problem is I have to leave that PC on all the time just for this purpose.

Today I realize that OWA also support "rule". Not sure if I can use that and set it to auto forward all the e-mail to an ourside e-mail address. If yes, does it mean I can do this on the server side and without having to have a PC on all the time?

Before call my IT to see if they blocked this function, I want to see if you guys have any experience.

TIA!
    Check the following link, should give you some more info on what you are trying to accomplish. Good Luck.

Outlook Web Access and Rules
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Nice way to get around all your corporate security... since you can't have push mail right to the treo... you can create a rule to auto forward your mail... so I set a rule to send my work mail to my verizon dsl mail and I have my Treo auto sync every 15 minutes...

I am amazed at how much I am learning from all the users in this forum... Great work gang!! Soon enough I'll be an expert as well !!
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys. Actually, I already checked that link and tried to set up a new rule to forward all the incoming e-mails to another IMAP account. Seems it's not working.

Guess have to call my IT guys.
    The default option in Exchange 2000/2003 is to not allow automatic forwards to external email addresses. That's probably why it's not working, not because you set the rule incorrectly. This is a security feature of exchange and you will probably have a hard time convincing your IT guys to change it globally. They can however add specfic domain exceptions to this rule, but you'll probably have to do a lot of nagging.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks! That's what I got from the IT Dept. too.

It seems the only cheap option is to keep a PC on with outlook running and forward from the client side.

Interesting thing is it seems I am not able to forward even in the local outlook. Only a "copy to folder" is working and that's how I copy incoming e-mails to my fastmail folder using its proxy setting.
    If you can access your email via OWA, you may be able to get access to it on your Treo with Versamail and ExchangeActiveSync. There are a bunch of materials on the Palm website on what is required to set that up and IT may feel that it is more secure than autoforwarding if it's not already setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by hchai
    Thanks! That's what I got from the IT Dept. too.

It seems the only cheap option is to keep a PC on with outlook running and forward from the client side.

Interesting thing is it seems I am not able to forward even in the local outlook. Only a "copy to folder" is working and that's how I copy incoming e-mails to my fastmail folder using its proxy setting.
    I'm using a "Re-Direct" rule in Outlook on the exchange server (not a client only rule) to get my corp email pushed to me. I was using the forward rule, but that made all the messages say they were from me. With the redirect, no matter if my PC is on or not I get the original sender's name and I get it FAST. I just redirect to a server that's IMAP Idle aware outside the firewall and point Chatter at that server. I average 5-30 seconds between outlook and the Treo with this set up. Of course if they've got forwarding off chances are redirect is out as well...
    I wonder how your corporate security guys feel about your solutions to working around their security? Did it ever occur to anyone that they don't create those policies just to cause inconvenience, but that there might actually be a purpose for them??? Amazing. BTW, if they find out (at most corporations) you can be fired for knowingly violating their policy.

Bottom line...if you NEED push email, petition IT for it, don't work around their policy.

Flame me all you want...
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    EOJo is right. You may be in violation of your employer's security policies as you can be sending private and confidential information to a non-corporate server (the outside mail server). This can be grounds for dismissal and even for legal proceedings. I'm the IT security officer for my employer and we have had to take drastic measures when we detect that potentially sensitive data is leaving the corporate network.

I would offer an alternative: If POP/IMAP/ActiveSync would be allowed within the boundaries of the corporate LAN, how about using a VPN client on the Treo to connect & sync email? I've tried this option before and it's OK (although I'll admit it isn't my preference).

If your have several coworkers with Treos or other smartphones, see if your employer would consider a Good server or (if Sprint) BizCon Enterprise Edition. I use BCEE and I get email (and calendar) on the Treo usually about a minute before it hits my Outlook in box.

There is a cost, of course, but I would hope you could sell your employer on it based on what they're gaining -- improved access to their workers, better responsiveness when you (or the other smartphone users) travel, perhaps faster client interaction if you do sales, etc. Really, the $200-400 a year this generally costs is trivial compared to the potential gains from improved communications.
    - Fushigi