Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Hey peaches,

I am ready to install your Custom ROM (with nothing from Sprint). When I downloaded your file, it had a PALM and ROM folder with the 2 launch programs (ROMUpdater and CDMA one) in the Launcher folder. It also has the same launchers inside the ROM folder. Does it make a difference if that is in there? I compared it to the older Shadowmite 1.08 ones and he has them separate.

Also, I updated the Sprint 1.12 already, do I just use the ROM updater only? Thanks a bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenzytom
    Hey peaches,

I am ready to install your Custom ROM (with nothing from Sprint). When I downloaded your file, it had a PALM and ROM folder with the 2 launch programs (ROMUpdater and CDMA one) in the Launcher folder. It also has the same launchers inside the ROM folder. Does it make a difference if that is in there? I compared it to the older Shadowmite 1.08 ones and he has them separate.

Also, I updated the Sprint 1.12 already, do I just use the ROM updater only? Thanks a bunch.
    The update files should be in the Palm folder only. Since you have already updated to 1.12, you only need to run the ROM update.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    The update files should be in the Palm folder only. Since you have already updated to 1.12, you only need to run the ROM update.
    Thanks John for all your help.
    Is there any way to install a custom ROM without a card reader. I do have a 1 Gb card.

If not may I ask why not? Why can't one just synch the necessary files using the Install tool if I am willing to wait (I realize it would be SLOW).

How does one change the file name? Is this why the card reader is necessary.

TIA
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    Is there any way to install a custom ROM without a card reader. I do have a 1 Gb card.

If not may I ask why not? Why can't one just synch the necessary files using the Install tool if I am willing to wait (I realize it would be SLOW).

How does one change the file name? Is this why the card reader is necessary.

TIA
    Syncing will not put the files into ROM. If you hotsync you are only adding files to RAM. I have no clue how the installer works for the actual update from Sprint except I know you have to have the 11mb so files can be copied, ran and then deleted. I bought a cheap 32mb card just for custom ROM installs. I didn't pay over $20 for it.
    Back to my usual soapbox on card readers.....SO many items use memory cards these days and card readers are really cheap (by FAR cheaper than your 1 GB card reader.) If you do not have other electronics using memory cards now, you eventually will.

Do yourself a favor and invest in a card reader today.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    You can get a nice Sandisk 12-in-1 for around $27 shipped. If that's too much, there are several in the $10-$15 price range.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_a...php/page_id=44
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    How is the data transfer different from a card reader and a direct synch to the card using the install tool?
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    How is the data transfer different from a card reader and a direct synch to the card using the install tool?
    Much quicker
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    You can get a nice Sandisk 12-in-1 for around $27 shipped. If that's too much, there are several in the $10-$15 price range.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_a...php/page_id=44
    if cost a BIG deal, try www.ecost.com

They usually have some card reader that is free, or nearly free, after a mail in rebate...
    Did anyone else get the email from Palm about the Updater referring to it as Version 1.13 instead of 1.12? I got one midday today and thought it odd.
    Last edited by gharrod; 06/28/2005 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Mistype
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Did anyone else get the email from Palm about the Updater referring to it as Version 1.13 instead of 1.12? I got one midday today and thought it odd.
    Link in email goes right back to the 1.12 updater. Must be a typo.
    BTW, to anyone that needs a cheap card reader, you can get card export. It works wonders and it's useable with any computer without having to worry about drivers, etc, so all you need to think of bringing with you is your phone and sync cable.

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-...?CardExport_II

It's definately an app worth the money and you can try before you buy for 21 days I believe (might be 30). You can use it for the update as well.

If anyone does decide to use it for the update just remember that when the update is done as you reboot your phone, take out the sd card once your phone is on load card export, then you can reinsert the card and change the folders back to the proper ones.

Hope this helps.
    AIM: irksome234 MSN: lannie[at]gmail.com
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Hey folks I am looking for ROM #3. Does anyone have one they could share? It seems that the download page is not working.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    This is strange, after updating to 1.12, then dropping on the Rom 5b, I can't seem to play amr files. Waves still don't work, obviously, but I was poking around that famous Palm KB article about ringtones at http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(19349)

And here's what's been changed:

Tech tip: Instead of being in MIDI format (see below), voice recorder ringtones are captured in QCELP (Sprint PCS version) or AMR (GSM versions) format. They will still appear in the same list as MIDI ringtones, and the format isn't really important unless you try to send a QCELP or AMR ringtone to a third-party phone that doesn't support that format.

Converting other files to AMR (GSM version only):...

Now using AMR's are only available on GSM? Why is Sprint continuing to screw with us? How do I take care of this? This was working before I put on the custom ROM, while I was on 1.12. Now, however, it's not working with the custom one. But it would seem that Sprint is continuing to take away what little ability we had to customize ringtones (without mp3) then we did before, assuming that I'm not just losing my mind.
    This is really embarassing, but could you explain to me -- a TOTAL non-techie -- what a custom ROM is and why I would need it? Shadowmite's instructions seem long and complicated and I am really afraid to mess with my Treo as I depend on it totally for work. That said, I am desperately in need of more memory and need a safe and easy way to achieve this. Help!
    I have done several custom ROM's, but, I would have to say based on what you wrote, the safe and easy way is to buy a SD Card and use a program like PowerRun to move the apps to the card.

Building custom ROM's can really screw up your Treo if you don't do everything just right.
    Can anyone hook me up with this Custom ROM. PLEEEASE?

no realplayer
    no bc
    no quick tour
    no welcome
    no downloads

Add the following as much that can hold on ROM without causing crashes.
    Backupman*
    Directory assist
    DocsToGo.prc
    FileZ
    PocketTunes.prc (v3.1.1 works fine)*
    SoundRec
    VersaMail
    Voice Memo
    VolumeCare*

Replace the PhoneApp_SPCS with the modified Treo one. Replace TonesLibraryLib_SPCS.cprc and TonesLibraryLib_SPCS_enUS.lprc with the 1.08 ROM ones (see TreoCentral.com...All 3 files above restore the "create your own ringtone" functionality.)

* I have the appropriate registration keys.
    Last edited by Lifestar53; 10/25/2005 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Make message broader
    Don't be a dummy, buckle your safety belt.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678