Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Folks be careful here. DO NOT MAKE A CUSTOM ROM WITHOUT USING MY TOOL OR KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Any addition or subtraction to the ace-palmos.zip file has to also be placed or removed from the boot.conf file for it to work properly. That's one of the first things we learned could kill a rom if done incorrectly.
    You are probably right about that...please see my previous post...

I'm going to chock this up to being a learning experience... I could have taken the time to redo the firmware upgrade with the original Palm 1.12 or with a custom ROM that had versamail built in...

Since "p" key was going anyways I won't shed any tear on losing this phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    Sorry for the problems. i am trying to get a site up now that will have some of my ROMs that I have tested. You might try a reset or two. I have had to do that in the past. Once it goes through the process once, it seems to be okay after that. Let me know if I can help, or screw you up more!
    Well that is the thing...it isn't resetting...no matter what I do, the initial palmOne screen comes up but no black bar on the bottom...

Thanks for your help...no you didn't screw me up, I screwed myself.
  3.    #83  
    Well alas, I'm back from a night out...dang, this thread just blew up!

Yes, I did delete those 3 font files, and the only reason why I did was because in Shadowmite's PDF of files that were taken out for the old 1.08 ROM, those 3 files were marked, so I took them out for this version too.

And no, you can't just stick them in the zip file, because you will get a checksum error. But once you fix the checksum error, your files still might not be installed. You have to make sure they are marked for installation in the boot.conf file as well. This was my initial problem, I added files but they were never being installed because there wasn't an entry in the boot.conf file.

As for the problem with it showing 1.03, read Step 2 on the main page! Install the Sprint version first!

And as for things being repetitive in the installation instructions, its better to be repetitive (which doesn't harm the unit) then to miss a few things and be screwed in the end.
    Folks be careful here. DO NOT MAKE A CUSTOM ROM WITHOUT USING MY TOOL OR KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Any addition or subtraction to the ace-palmos.zip file has to also be placed or removed from the boot.conf file for it to work properly. That's one of the first things we learned could kill a rom if done incorrectly.
    I use your tool and it works like a champ. I stripped your 1.12 full zip file and added my 10 apps I like to keep in ROM. Worked without a flaw.

Thanks for what you have done for us.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    Well that is the thing...it isn't resetting...no matter what I do, the initial palmOne screen comes up but no black bar on the bottom...

Thanks for your help...no you didn't screw me up, I screwed myself.
    It may be too late, but you can get the two files you need here:

I decided to take the files down.

I may make a full flash install and put all file back later.
    Last edited by JohnH59; 06/20/2005 at 02:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    It may be too late, but you can get the two files you need here:
    http://members.cox.net/treojohn/ace-palmos.zip
    http://members.cox.net/treojohn/ace-palmos.zip.md5

Add these to files to the ROM Folder and you would have a stripped version. I should have zipped them into one file with all the others, but it's late and I didn't want to take the time now. I might make things better tomorrow.
    Stripped as in no versamail, but what about the voice recorder and notepad?

I guess what I really need is for adster or shadowmite (or someone else with more of a clue and more sense then me) to fix the custom rom #5 to have notepad and voicememo, but not versamail, AND to have whatever it needs so there are small fonts in Blazer again.

OR

just completely stripped and someone to post the prc's for notepad and voice memo. I don't really need those to be in the ROM....
  7.    #87  
    Atif, I'll get working on that in a little bit for ya.

I'm just taking care of some paperwork for my job and I'll get that done!
    Quote Originally Posted by adster
    Atif, I'll get working on that in a little bit for ya.

I'm just taking care of some paperwork for my job and I'll get that done!
    No biggie since it will be about 7 hours until a Sprint store opens and I have a hope of getting a new phone. I might have to go to a further away Sprint store since the local one is peeved that they had to replace my LAST 650 because the "p" went dead on that one too. Yokels claim that there has been NO reported problem with ANY Treo 650 thumbpad and that I must have been "abusing" my old one and that they were replacing it out of the kindness of their heart and to keep a loyal Sprint customer happy....

And to digress for a second...this is where a SIM card would come in handy, I could just put my sim in an OLD phone and at least still have a working phone. As it is now, I'm out of phone contact until I can get to a store and have them deal with this...*sigh*
    Oh and adster and shadowmite and JohnH59, thanks for all the help and putting in the effort to make custom roms and make them available to the rest of us. Sometime I wish I had stuck with course 6 (elec eng & c.s.) and made phones for a living instead of switching to autonomous vehicles

I guess what I really need is for adster or shadowmite (or someone else with more of a clue and more sense then me) to fix the custom rom #5 to have notepad and voicememo, but not versamail, AND to have whatever it needs so there are small fonts in Blazer again.

OR

just completely stripped and someone to post the prc's for notepad and voice memo. I don't really need those to be in the ROM....
    Stripped of VersaMail, RealPlayer, Downloads, GetBC, Tutorials.
    Mine does not have voice recorder and notepad. I did not add those back in.

I decide to take the files down. I have had excellent results with my ROMs but I'm not sure I want to be responsible if the files don't get placed where they need to be. I may fix them into a full actual flash install. If so, I will post them at that time.
    Last edited by JohnH59; 06/20/2005 at 02:14 AM.
  11.    #91  
    ROM #5b now uploaded! It's identical to ROM #5 in every way except it now includes the Blazer font library which Atif discovered was missing! Thanks for pointing that out! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by adster
    ROM #5b now uploaded! It's identical to ROM #5 in every way except it now includes the Blazer font library which Atif discovered was missing! Thanks for pointing that out! :-)
    Great thanks! I am still a little confused. Was the original Rom #5 missing three files or just 1 file? Reading through the thread it seems like at first we thought it needed 3 files, but in the end we thought it only need one file.

Last edited by Atif; 06/20/2005 at 02:42 AM.
  13.    #93  
    Well there were 3 files that I left out, and according to Shadowmite's filelist, those 3 files were font files. So, instead of just trying one at a time, I just included all 3. Those files are:

PalmSGHiResFonts.pdb
    PalmVMFontLibrary.bprc
    PalmVMFontLibrary_enUS.oprc
    this was my very first time flashing the ROM of my treo. Ever since I got it, I wanted to wipe the Spring crap. The other day, I uploaded to palm stock 1.12. But now I was really curious about customizing the ROM and shadowmite posted his raw 1.12 dump for people who wanted to make there own. so i did a bunch of reading and collected the raw rom, the rom tool, shadows instructions for the tool and uploading the rom. so first i opened the adster's ROM 3 and add back in Real (using Shadow and ohmster file list) and then added powerUp. And drank a couple of beers to get the courage up. Then I remembered my GoodLink gets messed up unless you backup and restore a certain way. So I kluged together these instructions from multiple sources... I did it and it worked awesome! I only did the ROM Updater because I was already running Palm's 1.12..

Before installing the Treo 650 Customer ROM, perform Hotsync and back up GoodLink applications and provisioning data:
    • Perform Hotsync under normal user name.
      Make sure the SD/MMC card is in your Treo smartphone.
      On your smartphone, launch GoodLink.
      Select the Home button to go to the GoodLink Home screen.
      Press Menu .
      From the Options menu, select GoodLink Preferences.
      Select Backup.
      Follow the on-screen instructions to backup GoodLink applications and data to the expansion card.
      Remove SD card from Treo and place in laptop.
      On SD Card, rename Palm folder to Palmbak.
      Copy ROM and PALM folder for custom ROM from laptop to SD card.

Install Custom ROM
    • Insert SD card into Treo
      Goto to the “Card” Applications menu
      If Treo is not at 1.12 yet then, Tap the CDMAFirmwareUpdater App
      The process will take awhile. When complete, it will say success and may have turned the phone off. Turn it back on and press the home key once.
      Tap the ROMUpdater App
      Type “rev cvt2” (no quotes). Hit the return key.
      Type “ace” (no quotes). Hit the return key.
      After the flash is complete, it will say, "PLEASE HARD RESET YOUR DEVICE". Here's how you do it:
    Remove the battery cover and use the stylus to do a pin reset, located on the left side of the battery.
    Quickly look at the LCD. You will see a bar moving from left to right. Before it reaches about midpoint on the bottom of the screen, press and hold down the RED phone button until you see the Palm logo.
    When you see the Palm logo (the moving bar is gone), release the RED phone button. You will be prompted to press the up button to erase all of your data. Please do so.[/list][/list]
    Restore all the data
    • Remove SD card
      Remove ROM and PALM folders from SD card.
      Rename PALMbak back to PALM
      Synchronize your smartphone with your PC. When asked, select the old user name which contains all the user data prior to the first hard reset. The user data that was backed up with the first HotSync operation will be restored.
      Insert the SD/MMC expansion card with the GoodLink data into your smartphone.
      The GoodLink information will be restored automatically from the expansion card.
    BTW... With basically the Sprint Apps gone and addition of PowerUp (which is very small) I have roughtly the same memory free 9.8 megs..

Loaded in RAM is
    TCPMP
    PacDude100
    DTG (Main app only all the rests is on SD using DTG tool)
    movianVPN
    GoodLink
    Filez

NO emails saved in VersaMail, no pics or vids.

Just a few (7-8) extra ringtones and all the regular app preferences..

The RomTool would only let me put 7.11 meg into the ace zip..

does this sound right to ya'll?
    Hi,

An empty unmodified Treo 650 has 10,968 k of db cache. Customizing rom(deleting and adding applications) depletes this valuable resource. Just by removing non english languages, real and versa db cache is at 9600. With all my apps in rom, its at 8800. Restoring my apps to ram now leaves me with 5000k when it should have been 7200 k of db cache. The lower db cache you start with, the higher the chance of resetting sooner.

Can someone please confirm this with their treo? Im using resco explorer to see my db cache level loaded in sd.
    Hi Shadowmite,

Is there a relation between the dbcache level of a custom rom and boot.conf file generated by your tool?

OR

The notepad and voice memo prc files have already been posted. Just search for them. I used the newest versions from the lifedrive in my custom ROM.

adster, you ONLY need the ONE file for font control in Blazer. There's no sense to waste room by adding the other two.
    2000 Man can you email me the notepad from the lifedrive? I'd really appreciate it.

jeg815@mac.com
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    adster:

Thanks for posting the ROMs!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast