1.    #1  
    I'd like to install the firmware update on my unlocked gsm 650. In order to do a complete restore, I thought I'd hard reset, install the update using a temporary userid, then restore my "real" userid using Backupbuddy.

Anyone know if this causes any problems? One of the things that worries me is that the update is said to include the "latest carrier settings files", and I'm concerned that a full BB restore might overwrite something new in this area or any other. I know there is a backed up file called carrierprofiles2, but I'm not sure what this is. Any pointers will be much appreciated.
    That's what I did. Worked for me. I am using the latest version (3.1 RC2).

Not sure on the carrier profiles. If there was something new, I overwrote it. Seems to work fine.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Me too... and I was only running 3.07 (eval) at the time.
  4.    #4  
    I actually meant Backupbuddy on the pc, not BBVFS, but I guess it accomplishes the same thing. Thanks for the input!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdawson
    I'd like to install the firmware update on my unlocked gsm 650. In order to do a complete restore, I thought I'd hard reset, install the update using a temporary userid, then restore my "real" userid using Backupbuddy.

Anyone know if this causes any problems? One of the things that worries me is that the update is said to include the "latest carrier settings files", and I'm concerned that a full BB restore might overwrite something new in this area or any other. I know there is a backed up file called carrierprofiles2, but I'm not sure what this is. Any pointers will be much appreciated.
    That's the way I did my update. The only hiccup I encountered was that for some reason my calendar database didn't automatically restore, but BB's snapshots and single DB restore features made it a snap to restore it manually.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    When I restored using backupbuddy I just clicked 'no' on replacing newer files. Except when it came to apps I was reinstalling.
  7.    #7  
    Was this using BackupBuddy VFS? Not sure you get this option with the pc version.
    I tried it using BackupBuddy VFS but it sent my Treo into a continous reset loop. So, had to use the restore from the PC using hotsync option.
    I used the PC version. While I use BBVFS to provide recoverability in the event of an emergency, I try not to use it unless it really is an emergency! My main reason is that when you restore files using BBVFS, the monitoring function of Uninstall Manager/Cleanup gets confused and thinks that the restored files "belong" to BBVFS. So if you subsequently delete an application, some of its monitored files may get left behind, which defeats a large part of the benefit of the monitoring.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Odd, this doesnt happen to me. My Uninstall Manager keeps on ticking and keeping track of each app despite several BBVFS restores...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Hmm, it may have been a one-off combination of selectively restoring a bunch of files at some point. All I know is that at one point I went into Cleanup to see who owned several files I didn't recognize, and found that it thought that BBVFS owned just about teveryhtig on my Treo! After that, I've only used BBVFS as a safety-net, preferring to use the desktop app if I have access to it.
    What's the latest version of BackupBuddy VFS? Mine says 3.1 RC2 but the website only shows 3.07 as the latest.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    I have BackupBuddy 2.1.0.5. I installed the Sprint 1.12 updater. Upon performing the second sync, the updater launched again. Now my phone is wiped clean (like a new phone, but with the 1.12 firmware). How do I restore my apps but still have the updated firmware in place?
    Quote Originally Posted by nispen
    I tried it using BackupBuddy VFS but it sent my Treo into a continous reset loop. So, had to use the restore from the PC using hotsync option.
    Same here (Cingular GSM upgraded to 1.28 via 1.23). BBVFS doesn't work for me.

Instead, I use SyncAll (freeeware, http://www.palmblvd.com/software/pc/...5-palm-pc.html) and I can completely restore after a hard reset by performing a hotsync.

Only a few things do not hotsync (voicepad, notepad, & phone overlays).