Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    With Vision connected but nothing running in the background that accesses the web, my green arrows come on every minute for about 10 seconds, as if the network is being polled. With nothing running the arrows don't get stuck and it doesn't seem to drain the battery much, but maybe there's a bad interaction between some apps and the polling.....just a thought.

[Edit: a soft reset seems to have eliminated the "polling", so maybe something was running after all....]
    Last edited by plaut; 06/21/2005 at 09:37 PM.
    DREADED TURBO DRAIN IS BACK!!!

Yeah it sucks and I've had major issues with sustained active data connections for no reason as well. The battery life as a result had been totally FUBAR'd as result imo...

*sigh* I knew this latest update from Palmone was too good to be true...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'm having the same problem. I left my Treo charging on my desk and after a few hours I found that it was really hot and the backlight was off. I then changed the battery for a fresh one, but I still see the green arrows on all the time. I'm using a Sprint Treo 650 with the latest 1.12 ROM update and Chatter 1.0.6.2
    I don't know what the heck is going on. Has anybody contacted PalmOne on this issue?

Al
    I don't know how true this is, but I've read and seen people having problems with Verichat not connecting to the chat server. In the case of a connection failure I've seen Verichat attepmting to connect constantly. I don't know if this is a problem. Try turning vision on and off and reconnect everything again and see if that happens.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I'm having the same problem. I'm using a Sprint Treo 650 with the latest 1.12 ROM update and Chatter 1.0.6.2
    I don't know what the heck is going on. Has anybody contacted PalmOne on this issue?

Al
    I just posted this in another thread but it's relevant here too.

I upgraded to Chatter 1.0.6.3 last night and that seems to have eliminated the constant connection (green arrows) problem and thus any battery problems I was having. I dont know that Chatter was causing the problem though, but the latest version fixed it. Marc put in some code to address the issue.
  6.    #26  
    So some people are getting stuck arrows that stay on, others are getting arrows green more often but not suck on. Others still do not seem to notice this.

Is there anyone that is seeing a more frequent or stuck arrows if they are not using a mail or chat program?
    Chatteremail 1.0.6.3 did the trick on mine too. No more green-arrows-forever (well at least since yesterday afternoon).
    I've had my T650 since February and the green arrows have always stayed on as long as I had a data connection. I assumed it was similar to having your home PC connected through your DSL/Cable modem even though you may not be using the web browser at the time. It doesn't mean that data is being transmitted through the connection, but it is still connected. I have always had to use some method to disconnect if I wanted the arrows to disappear. The newest Chatter version has not made a difference. Doesn't the green arrows simply mean that a data connection exists even if you are not running an app that uses it?

Thanks,
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
  9.    #29  
    Green arrows mean that data is being sent. They should not always be green.

I think you wil have grey arrows if you are connected but no data being sent (this should not affect calls and the like the same as the green arrows.)

No arrows are you are disconnected.
    Is there a way to disconnect the green arrows manually? Outside of any programs that might use the data connection?
    Cingular Treo - upgraded to FW 1.28/SW Treo650-1.13-ROW Apple Powerbook running Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by iPat
    Is there a way to disconnect the green arrows manually? Outside of any programs that might use the data connection?
    Prefs, Network, Tap the Disconnect button in the lower right corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by wareynolds
    Green arrows mean that data is being sent. They should not always be green.

I think you wil have grey arrows if you are connected but no data being sent (this should not affect calls and the like the same as the green arrows.)
    What you describe doesn't match my experience. I believe you have CDMA? I have GSM, and this is what I see:

Green arrows means GPRS-connected, even if no data is actively being sent.
    Black triangle means GPRS available, but not connected.
    No icon means GPRS not available.
    Gray arrows - ain't no such thing.

As an aside, I think everyone should be required to state their carrier in their signature. It would avoid alot of confusion around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdan333
    What you describe doesn't match my experience. I believe you have CDMA? I have GSM, and this is what I see:

As an aside, I think everyone should be required to state their carrier in their signature. It would avoid alot of confusion around here.
    If you have a CDMA Treo and see constant green arrows, it means that you are having constant data activity. On GSM phones it just means that it is on, but has nothing to do with data activity.

Al
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I just woke up and unplugged my Treo from the Charger/Sync cable, and was playing with some ZLauncher themes, as I noticed my "connection arrows" comming on a lot. They weren't steady, but they kept comming on over and over. Over a period of about 20 minutes my battery dropped from 99% to 94%. At this point i decided to reset my phone. After I reset my phone, the battery was back up to 99%! Strange...
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I upgraded to Chatter 1.0.6.3 last night and that seems to have eliminated the constant connection (green arrows) problem and thus any battery problems I was having.
    I thought this was true for me but the dreaded green arrows (and battery drain) are back.....
    Palm Vx -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobh
    I just woke up and unplugged my Treo from the Charger/Sync cable, and was playing with some ZLauncher themes, as I noticed my "connection arrows" comming on a lot. They weren't steady, but they kept comming on over and over. Over a period of about 20 minutes my battery dropped from 99% to 94%. At this point i decided to reset my phone. After I reset my phone, the battery was back up to 99%! Strange...
    I've had green arrows more, battery drain etc... I don't have to worry about choosing to reset my phone because that happens pretty regularly on it's own.. I have Chatter with one IMAP connection and 2 POP3 folders. I have Verichat but nothing set to keep my connection alive. I did upgrade to the latest Chatter mentioned and after a few days the battery seems to have found it's way back to some semblance of normalcy and the green arrows don't seem to be on as much but I'm still having plenty of random resets with the "fatal exception" while running "unknown" apps.. Rarely does the ##377# actually name an offending application. Frustrating but believe it or not I still love this damn phone. lol...

Bek
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I am on Sprint with version 1.12 installed. I was having increased battery drain. I wal also running a demo copy of Zlauncher. I do not run chatter mail, but I do run VeriChat.

I removed the demo version of Zlauncher two days ago, and my battery drain issues seem to be much better.

However, I also let my unit charge for 11 hours yesterday.

So one or the other of those two things made the difference for me.
    Yep, this is what I have, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdan333

Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Bekktek -

When you loaded 1.12 did you delete Chatter from the Treo and the Backup Folder on your computer? If Chatter was loaded into your 1.12 ROM though the hotsync procedure at the end of 1.12 update, it's database would've become corrupted. This is consistent with the resets and fatal exceptions that you have been experiencing. If this was how you loaded Chatter, I would fully remove Chatter from the Treo and reinstall 1.0.6.3 through the Palm Installer, rebuild your mailboxes, close Chatter and then hot sync again. This way you will have a backup of a non-corrupted mailbox database.

LOL
    Ok so:
    1. It's a CDMA thing, as my Sprint does it, and my GSM coworker had no gray arrows just a constant green (poor guy, I'm so paranoid about this I would hate not knowing when I'm not idle).

2. I have been getting extreme battery drains recently. I have been using verichat though, but just today my treo got very hot and i realized it was the constant. I did also use Xiino.

This constant green arrow issue has been around since the Treo 600. It's a software problem, and one (not the only) application I KNOW causes it is Xiino 3.0 and above. I usually check my treo's signal bars after using Xiino to check if they are constantly green, it's just habit now.

However, it seems the Treo is using more battery in general now after the update. Let's look into this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast