1.    #1  
    what is intelli-sync or whatever it's called? does it replace the hotsync manager? or the chapura pocket mirror? are there other options for mapping back and forth between the pda and outlook?
    The what: IntelliSync replaces the conduit(s) to allow you to sync your Palm to a variety of applications (like Outlook, GroupWise, Notes, ACT! and others) and extends the synchornization capabilities.

It does support custom field mapping

More information can be found at the Pumatech site (www.pumatech.com).

An overview of other synchronization products can be found at PalmGear.com (it's in the FAQ-- "Can I use my current PIM to sync with the PalmPilot?").

FusionOne (www.fusionone.com) is another option that's not listed in the FAQ mentioned above. I can't vouch for it as I've never used it, but it looks interesting.
  4.    #4  
    any opinions on which ones might provide deeper mapping, etc than pocketmirror that came with my visor?
    You might want to look at the Chapura Pro 3.0 that was just released for mapping and other options.

Here's an article: http://www.visorcentral.com/news.php3?id=657
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.