1.    #1  
    Hello All,

I just successfully updated my Treo unlocked GSM, following the so-called alternative method. Ran into a few probs tho, and thought I would share my experiences. Maybe someone will find it useful.

PROBLEM 1
    I use Intellisync as a conduit, not the default Palm conduits, to sync witht Outlook. The Palm hotsync conduit will not allow multiple conduits to be active at the same time. If they are, you get an error message.

The altenative method instructs you to create a new user, suggested name is TempUser or something like that. Then you have to sync the updater onto the Treo using the new username. However, when you create a new user name, Hotsync activates ALL installed conduits, in my case BOTH the Palm native conduits AND the Intellysinc conduit. So you get this error message warning you that more than one conduit is active.

Don't panic. Right-click the hotsync button, clikc CUSTOM, and then you see all conduits listed. Set all PALM conduits to do nothing (except of course the install conduit). Sync again, and the updater should now be transferred to your Treo after which the update procedure should start.

PROBLEM 2
    After you have sucessfully flashed the ROM, you are supposed to be able to sync all your previously backed up data back onto your Palm. The installer is supposed to ask you the user name for the restore. In my case it did not, just said it would restore the date of user TempUser. Oh well, no prob. The alternative method describes how to solve this one: just hard reset, and sync again. Sure enough: this time I was asked which user name. Selected my " old" user name and the restore started.

CRASH.

Mmmm. OK to cut a LONG story short. i had to set the conduit of Intellisync Calendar and Contacts to DESKTOP OVERRIDES HANDHELD. Same with the conduit for SECRET (password manager). That solved that problem.

So, if your restore procedure is giving you the CRASH WOES --- set the conduit to overwrite the Treo (ASSUMING YOU DID MAKE A BACKUP FIRST).

PROBLEM 3
    Restoring using BackupBuddy VFS (backup to SD card) sent the Treo into a continual reset loop. SO: I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST DOING THE UPDATE IF YOUR ONLY BACKUP IS A BACKUPBUDDY VFS BACKUP.

Well,
    that's it.

If I have not been clear, please ask.
    Wouter

PS: the upgrade is worth it.
    W
    Quote Originally Posted by nispen
    Hello All,

I just successfully updated my Treo unlocked GSM, following the so-called alternative method. Ran into a few probs tho, and thought I would share my experiences. Maybe someone will find it useful.

PROBLEM 1
    I use Intellisync as a conduit, not the default Palm conduits, to sync witht Outlook. The Palm hotsync conduit will not allow multiple conduits to be active at the same time. If they are, you get an error message.

The altenative method instructs you to create a new user, suggested name is TempUser or something like that. Then you have to sync the updater onto the Treo using the new username. However, when you create a new user name, Hotsync activates ALL installed conduits, in my case BOTH the Palm native conduits AND the Intellysinc conduit. So you get this error message warning you that more than one conduit is active.

Don't panic. Right-click the hotsync button, clikc CUSTOM, and then you see all conduits listed. Set all PALM conduits to do nothing (except of course the install conduit). Sync again, and the updater should now be transferred to your Treo after which the update procedure should start.

PROBLEM 2
    After you have sucessfully flashed the ROM, you are supposed to be able to sync all your previously backed up data back onto your Palm. The installer is supposed to ask you the user name for the restore. In my case it did not, just said it would restore the date of user TempUser. Oh well, no prob. The alternative method describes how to solve this one: just hard reset, and sync again. Sure enough: this time I was asked which user name. Selected my " old" user name and the restore started.

CRASH.

Mmmm. OK to cut a LONG story short. i had to set the conduit of Intellisync Calendar and Contacts to DESKTOP OVERRIDES HANDHELD. Same with the conduit for SECRET (password manager). That solved that problem.

So, if your restore procedure is giving you the CRASH WOES --- set the conduit to overwrite the Treo (ASSUMING YOU DID MAKE A BACKUP FIRST).

PROBLEM 3
    Restoring using BackupBuddy VFS (backup to SD card) sent the Treo into a continual reset loop. SO: I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST DOING THE UPDATE IF YOUR ONLY BACKUP IS A BACKUPBUDDY VFS BACKUP.

Well,
    that's it.

If I have not been clear, please ask.
    Wouter

PS: the upgrade is worth it.
    W
    I am not using Intellisync, but ran into a similar problem, and kind of guessed my way out of it. Luckily it worked.