Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Hi,

How to check if the Treo is using EDGE or just GPRS ?
    Is there a different icon or something that tells you "Using GPRS"/"Using EDGE" ?

Cheers,
    No, there is no visual distinction.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Nope, only way to really tell is based on a speed test like www.dslreports.com/mspeed
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I switched from a Verizon Audiovox 6600 to a Verizon Treo 650 and in the process I believe I lost the ability to use VZW high speed EVDO broadband interent. I really miss this high speed. Is EDGE somethign similar? Can you get it on a VZW T650?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    EDGE is Cingular, and it's sort-of similar. Higher than normal speed, not as fast as EV-DO, but much more widely available. As far as I know, the 650 is not compatible with VZW's EV-DO service.
    Quote Originally Posted by dheymann
    I switched from a Verizon Audiovox 6600 to a Verizon Treo 650 and in the process I believe I lost the ability to use VZW high speed EVDO broadband interent. I really miss this high speed. Is EDGE somethign similar? Can you get it on a VZW T650?
    Your EVDO speeds are gone with a Treo 650 on VZW. Now it's CDMA 1xRTT.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    deleted dual post
    Last edited by TxDot; 06/20/2005 at 12:50 PM.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    EDGE is the next step up in speed for GPRS. Cingular has it in a lot of markets (mostly via its accquistion of AT&T) while T-Mobile is testing it in a few markets.

No Treo supports EV-DO as it is a hardware thing and will require a new radio. Given the aggressive schedule that Sprint has for rolling EV-DO out, it wouldn't surprise me to see a EV-DO capable Treo out by the end of this year. I think they could put out EV-DO capable 650 fairly quickly while leaving everything else the same. Maybe it will be the 650V or something catchy like that.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Do you know if an operator (like Cingular, Orange...) could block a non-branded GSM Treo from using EDGE and allow other phones to use it ?
    I get between 125-135 kbit/sec DSL speed test with a unbranded GSM on T-Mobile
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Cingular- Baton Rouge, LA

20 - 40 kbit/sec DSL speed test (100k and 200k manual tests)

looks like we dont have EDGE yet.

I am using unlimited Medianet Plan
    Last edited by digitalfx; 06/19/2005 at 03:30 PM.
    Beaumont, Texas - Cingular

159.6 kbit/sec
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Paris, France - Orange

96 kbit/s

With that result, it seems that EDGE is working with my provider, isn't it? I heard that max GPRS speed is around 70 kbit/s.
    are you guys using Media Net or PDA plan?
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    The Audiovox isn't EVDO either but another iMate version is...
    Vodafone in the UK gives me approx 37kbits/sec - just seems much faster than my T3/T610 combo & my previous Treo 600
    Using my spare sim from orange uk gave me 41kbits/sec
    so orange uk is not yet on edge - either that or it is blocking me from using it on an unlocked gsm phone
    I wish the treo would get something like what the Moto V635 has..an indicator saying E (if on Edge) or G (if on GPRS)
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I heard that you need a specific (at least recent) SIM card to have EDGE with the Treo... I'm a bit surprised. Could anybody confirm that ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerome
    I heard that you need a specific (at least recent) SIM card to have EDGE with the Treo... I'm a bit surprised. Could anybody confirm that ?
    Can't confirm it, but I can probly debunk it. I'm using the same old SIM that came with my Nokia phone when I bought it almost two years ago. I believe that was before EDGE came along, yet I get EDGE speeds everywhere around here.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    no a SIM card is not the thingie which tells EDGE...if so...everyone on rogers would have to change their sim, and FIDO people who can use EDGE would have to change as well
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast