1.    #1  
    I have my phone app set such that when I start typing, contacts are searched instead of dialing numbers. With the new firmware, if I type a couple of characters and no contacts are found, the alphabets automatically turn to numbers.

-Abbas
    The 1.21 beta did the same. Nice touch.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    My Treo originally arrived with 1.14, which did the same thing.
    Pilot Pro > 2Mb+IrDA upgrade > Clie T615C > Treo 650
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    mine pops the contact screen up and shows the letters on the leaft and the numbers on the right - very handy.........

CNG 1.14
    Okay, I must be missing something - how do you turn this feature on?
    TI Avigo --> Palm III --> Palm m505 --> HP Ipaq something or other --> Danger Sidekick (Color) --> GSM Unlocked Treo 600 --> GSM Unlocked Treo 650
    If you have the phone app set to 'Typing starts contact search', you can still get to the dial pad by typing a zero, as this button doesn't have any letters assigned to it. In the UK this is extra useful as all our numbers begin with a zero anyway!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    typing starts contact search
    Check out TakePhone which does the same thing and a whole lot more. TakePhone is a must have app for me. A big improvement over the builtin dialer.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Careful guys. Yet another one of the bugs I griped about (and was ignored by Palm) still exists with this feature in the new firmware. if you have the phone app set to 'Typing starts contact search', you can't look up names in the contacts list while on a phone call without sending DTMF tones as you type. Quality Control!
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mportune
    Careful guys. Yet another one of the bugs I griped about (and was ignored by Palm) still exists with this feature in the new firmware. if you have the phone app set to 'Typing starts contact search', you can't look up names in the contacts list while on a phone call without sending DTMF tones as you type. Quality Control!
    Yikes that is not very good. One question is this availible on the sprint update?
    So, what preference panel should I be seeing this setting? I have the GSM update (1.13 ROW / 1.28 firmware) and I can't find it anywhere.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    So, what preference panel should I be seeing this setting? I have the GSM update (1.13 ROW / 1.28 firmware) and I can't find it anywhere.
    Key Pad screen
    Options menu
    General Prefs
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    doh! I was looking for an option CALLED that. Important to note (a) it's a drop down and (b) it says "Typing dials phone number" if you don't already have it turned on.

As for looking up contacts while on the phone, what prevents us from just switching to the contacts application and looking them up there. Does that still genereate DTMF with this phone option selected?
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    As for looking up contacts while on the phone, what prevents us from just switching to the contacts application and looking them up there.
    That's what I mean. Try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbas
    I have my phone app set such that when I start typing, contacts are searched instead of dialing numbers. With the new firmware, if I type a couple of characters and no contacts are found, the alphabets automatically turn to numbers.
    Coming from a Sidekick (which has always done this) you wonder how you ever lived without it...

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roamer1
    Coming from a Sidekick (which has always done this) you wonder how you ever lived without it...
    All treos have actually done this. It was one of the selling points on the original 180 - just start typing, and if a name matches, it will be selected, otherwise a number will be typed. ("smart search" or something)
    Quote Originally Posted by mportune
    That's what I mean. Try it.
    Tried it. Liked direct search from phone. Hated DTMF from Contacts while on phone. Turned feature off. I'll just live with tapping Alt-Green to get my contacts list to search and dial from
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbas

-Abbas
    Thanks. Save me the trouble of always going to contacts!
    Quote Originally Posted by JM8753
    Thanks. Save me the trouble of always going to contacts!
    Sure... as long as you can live with annoying your party with DTMF if you have to search for a contact while already on the phone.