Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    If you have battery problems after the update, I'd be curious to see what your charge is when fully charges. BatteryGraph will tell you, in terms of volts or whatever, what your charge is.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter

An interesting note, Like longstrider mentioned, I myself did allow for a full restore on the update. But after the battery drain when I redid the update I pulled all files that are recreated by the system out of the backup folder before restoring, 2 dozen or so files including saved preferences, connection manager, blazer files, carrier profiles and more. Doing it this way I have no battery drain and no resets.
    Can you explain more about what you "pulled"? You mean you didn't restore those? Didn't you lose all your program reg codes, etc. if you did that? I did a full system restore using BackUpMan after I updated so I didn't pick and choose what to restore. I'm not sure if I still have the battery problem because I haven't had time to fully test it now. Generally, how much battery should I lose on a call per minute of call time (using my bluetooth)?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Have you checked your settings? BT and IR always on will drain the battary faster.

Maybe the update reset these to ON ...

Aloke
    Great catch! My Bluetooth was "on." How do you check the "IR" setting?
    System / Prefs / Power / Beam Receive

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    Can you explain more about what you "pulled"? You mean you didn't restore those? Didn't you lose all your program reg codes, etc. if you did that? I did a full system restore using BackUpMan after I updated so I didn't pick and choose what to restore. I'm not sure if I still have the battery problem because I haven't had time to fully test it now. Generally, how much battery should I lose on a call per minute of call time (using my bluetooth)?

I did a full restore on 80% battery the first time and had bad battery drain for 2 days. I then reupdated with ROM 1.12 with 99% battery and before the system restore I drag and dropped all files that are recreated by the system from the backup folder to a new folder on the desktop. This means I only reinstalled from the back up folder 3rd party apps ant their pdb. Yes I had to reconfigure all my applications and put in registration codes for almost all 3rd party applications. It took me 2 hours. Of course the desktop always replaces your memos, addresses, calendar db and tasks. For applications such as datebook5 I only had to configure preferences.

I had resets and battery drain doing a full restore. I interpreted the resets as bad leftover file extensions.

But no resets or battery drain doing a minimal restore with 99% battery.
    has anyone contacted Palm support about this issue or is there anything in the FAQ perhaps. my battery level was very near to full when I updated and I began to notice the battery level going down afterwards also. not a whole lot though like some others. thanx...
    I have a Cingular locked phone on 1.28 ROW firmware.

No battery issues here. I keep BT on all the time, not discoverable, no IR, and I use Versamail for email. I don't use any 3rd party apps on a regular basis; I just keep a few on my SD card for occasional use. The exception is that I use the keyshades hack to keep the keyboard lights off virtually all the time. My phone was fully charged when I did the update. At night I turn the radio off and in the morning it is still at 99%. During the day with the radio on, the battery goes down very slowly. I am usually above 50% at the end of the day with moderate use. My phone stays above 50% charge virtually all the time because I charge it regularly. However, I do not charge it all night. I just charge it to 100% (or sometimes 99%) and promptly take it off the charger.

YMMV.
    I also am having horrible drain problems, i have chatter (1.0.5.1-haven't updated yet) and I have noticed the green arrows on frequently. The interesting thing is that when i go to work i have to turn off my phone (not allowed on in hospital) and i am still getting battery drain down to the 15-20% in about 8 hours with my phone off and only using epocrates 5 or 6 times for a few minutes each time (starting with a full charge).

When i did the update i was at 99%, did everything as listed. I used to be at 70-80% at the end of the day. I also noticed today that after a reset my date went to 1/1/1904 (i had network time enabled). I am not happy!!!!
    This logic that the battery drain issue is because you didnt have a fully charged battery at time of update is totally false... They tell you to have a charged and plugged in phone so that it dosent turn off during the update process and fry the phone, and thats it... There is no battery calibration level...
    Last edited by horsmanp; 06/25/2005 at 09:17 AM.

I remember there used to be HUGE battery drain issues when the first phone came out (firmware 1.03 perhaps?) rob at hobbyist discovered that date bug, and subsequent ROM updates seemed to have fixed it. I flashed my phone last weekend with a modified ROM 1.12 (never did a Sprint original), and then read about all the battery woes on this board. For all of last week, i was just waiting for a 'perceived' extra battery drain, and i didnt find it. In fact, there were 2 times (on separate days) that i fell asleep right after work and wasnt able to charge my phone. I was able to use the phone all day and still had about 25% left by the end of the night (i work in healthcare and our shifts are 14hrs).

Maybe the "date bug" is back for some people? or perhaps its a battery issue? it seems odd that SO many ppl have the problem...i wonder if its related to a certain program? keep us posted.
  11. amf
    For those with battery drain problems after the f/w update to 1.28, do you have Butler 3.0 installed? I asked this because when I reverted to Butler 2.89, it looks like the problem disappeared. Thanks!
    Not me, I dont have butler, but I had horrible battery drain for 2 days till I fixed it.
    i have butler 3.0 installed.....no batt drain
    Palm definitely did something with some sort of battery issues with this update that they have not disclosed. I have two batteries for my Treo 650. One (#1) is the one that came with the Treo. The other (#2) I bought as an aftermarket but is still a Palm battery and they are both from the same manufacturer. Battery #2 caused me constant resets and loss of data so I quite using it. After getting the phone to 1.12 and stable I switched, on a whim, to see if battery #2 was any better then before. #2 used to cause random resets several times a day and now does now not. They have made some changes but not sure what they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Palm definitely did something with some sort of battery issues with this update that they have not disclosed. I have two batteries for my Treo 650. One (#1) is the one that came with the Treo. The other (#2) I bought as an aftermarket but is still a Palm battery and they are both from the same manufacturer. Battery #2 caused me constant resets and loss of data so I quite using it. After getting the phone to 1.12 and stable I switched, on a whim, to see if battery #2 was any better then before. #2 used to cause random resets several times a day and now does now not. They have made some changes but not sure what they are.
    I think you are absolutly right gharrod. Thanks for that info. This further suggests that it would be a good idea if users are having battery drain issues to get rid of saved system settings, hard reset and then restore.
  16. amf
    Okay so it's not Butler 3.0 then. When I experienced fast batt drain w/ fw1.28, I did a hard reset, reinstall the update, restore with a backup (from BackupMan) but I did not overwrite the palm generated files (networkprofiles, carrierprofiles2, ConnectionMGR50, etc.). After doing so, fast batt drain is gone.

I guess a complete re-install of all files is the way to go to prevent problems w/ fw upgrades.
    Sorry to ask you to elaborate but I'm confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by amf
    Okay so it's not Butler 3.0 then. When I experienced fast batt drain w/ fw1.28, I did a hard reset, reinstall the update, restore with a backup (from BackupMan) but I did not overwrite the palm generated files (networkprofiles, carrierprofiles2, ConnectionMGR50, etc.). After doing so, fast batt drain is gone..
    Right here It looks like you are saying a partial restore worked well for you.

Also what happens to newly created system files on the handheld when they are then syncronized with the old 1.08 system files in the backup folder. I'm not talking about the 1.12 ROM apps of course, I'm talking about the recreated system filed generated by the 1.12 ROM, are they overwritten with the 1.08 ROM generated system files thet are in the backup folder?
    Quote Originally Posted by amf
    I guess a complete re-install of all files is the way to go to prevent problems w/ fw upgrades.
    Right here it looks like you are saying a full restore is the way to go.
  18. amf
    Yeah. What I actually did was a partial restore (I did not restore the palm generated files) and it worked fine.

Logically if that is my experience, after an update of the fw, re-installing all apps one by one (after a hard reset) is the best way to go because the palm generated files will never be over-written. A partial restore runs the risk of over-writing the palm generated files because I/we do not know for sure exactly what these palm generated files are.
    Quote Originally Posted by josephaoliva
    Did anyone notice a drop in battery performance after updating their treo. I used mine today about the same as every other day and now I have only 25% left.

Hmmm, I noticed sometimes when the treo is switched off, or does switch itself off (will keep looking at it) on rare ocasions the keyboerdlight stays on. Switcing on and off switches off the keyboard too. Now THA would drain your battery I think.
    Don't if this behaviour started with the 1.28 firmware, I use a treo since april.
    1) the drain is NOT about chatter. How do I know... I don't have chatter and i get major power drain after the update

2) It IS because of GPRS being always on. I have yet to figure out though why it wants to be on when i don't have anything that is set up to do so.
    Last edited by galambo; 06/26/2005 at 10:22 AM.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast