Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter

I did originally do the update with the battery at 80%. So just in case I left the phone on the charger for 7 hours the last night and redid the update. Now there seems to be no battery problems, its midday and Im at 92%.
    How do you mean you redid the update? Did you go back somehow to the old firmware and then redo it or did you just do a reinstall of it over the one you already had on your phone?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    I reinstalled update 1.12 over the 1.12 update already on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblaze
    you have Wifi? How? this is the holy grail for me
    Hello

Yes, but it's buggy, not worth it at this point and a turbo battery eating hog. You can see my post(s) on shadomite's forum if you are curious. He agrees that the new sled is the only decent way at least for now and that wifi as we know it, with no external and additional power supply is not great with today's current T650 config.

and that other post
    Re:
    "Updating the ROM could very easily kill the non-volatile calibration history, if there is such a thing."

My 2cents:

If in fact this did exist, a soft (or warm or hard) RESET would also as you say, "kill the non-volatile calibration history" so I don't give this "non-volatile calibration history" any merit. As I',m sure you know, any "non-volatile" history or memory will lose its lunch (be lost) once a power off, battery drain, soft (or warm or hard) RESET has occured.

Thanks

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Produce Her
    ... any "non-volatile" history or memory will lose its lunch (be lost) once a power off, battery drain, soft (or warm or hard) RESET has occured.
    This makes no sense to me. non-volitile memory is called non-volitile because it doesn't lose it's contents on power loss. Am I misunderstanding you here ? The hard reset I understand as that procedure is designed to forcibly clear NVRAM but it should survive everything else you mentioned.

As for the calibration, I suspect this is reset simply by fully charging the battery. Just a guess but if not then I would expect that the firmware updater would not run unless the battery was at 99% to avoid mis-calibration syndrome.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Update: now that I've spent a few more "normal" days on 1.28, I can report that my battery consumption has improved quite markedly - I'm routinely seeing 40% remaining at the end of the day. Dunno why, but I like it.
    I've noticed this too - battery seems to be better. I've installed the latest Chatter since the battery drain issue, but not sure that's the issue. Either way, I'm pleased that the battery is now holding more along where it should be.. Wonder if there's truth to the calibration issue.

Bek
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek
    I've noticed this too - battery seems to be better. I've installed the latest Chatter since the battery drain issue, but not sure that's the issue. Either way, I'm pleased that the battery is now holding more along where it should be.. Wonder if there's truth to the calibration issue.

Bek
    What did you do to calibrate then Bekktek? I let mine drain basically to 0 two days in a row and recharged to 100 each time. Can't really tell if it's worked since I've been busy at the office and haven't used it too much. As before, I notice it doesn't lose much battery if it's just sitting on my desk or in my pocket and not in use. It was only when I was actually doing things on it that it seemed to drain more quickly (such as making calls or using the net). I don't have Chatter or Goodlink or anything checking my emails or whatever. I have BT on but not discoverable. I don't have IR on.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    What did you do to calibrate then Bekktek? I let mine drain basically to 0 two days in a row and recharged to 100 each time. Can't really tell if it's worked since I've been busy at the office and haven't used it too much. As before, I notice it doesn't lose much battery if it's just sitting on my desk or in my pocket and not in use. It was only when I was actually doing things on it that it seemed to drain more quickly (such as making calls or using the net). I don't have Chatter or Goodlink or anything checking my emails or whatever. I have BT on but not discoverable. I don't have IR on.

My phone has been off the charger for 12 hours. Today I have sent about 100 text messages, used VeriChat for about 40 minutes (my "always on" is disabled) been on the web a couple of times (less than normal) and I've made 2 fairly short voice calls. This is not typical use for me, as I tend to make more voice calls and hang on the web longer, but I'm sitting at 62% right now.. Or so my Treo says through zLauncher. I have Chatter, (the latest beta) but it seems to have been "off" most of the day for whatever reason (I haven't turned it off, but everytime I've gone to it today, it gives me my "trial period" message so that means it's not connected. I would definitely say that Chatter is the culprit - just from process of elimination, but since you don't have it, I don't know! I have let my battery run down a few times and charged it (for at least 12 hours) for several nights, and things seem to be back to normal.. I don't really have a scientific explanation or even any real explanation...

Bek
    As I promised yesterday, I had to complete the tests.
    The conclusion: at least on my phone it is ChatterEmail that is causing the green-arrow-drain issue.

I tested ChatterEmail 1.0.7rc1 for 24 hours and several times a day the green-arrow-heat-drain would happen.
    I uninstalled ChatterEmail and reinstalled version 1.0.6.3, again for 24 hours and the same happened (just less).

Last, I uninstalled ChatterEmail completely, and configured VersaMail to pull every 15 minutes.
    By the end of the day (today) I've yet to see the green-arrow-drain issue, my battery is around 60% (as its usually is around this time).

Marc? are you reading this thread?
    Any idea?

I'm off ChatterEmail for now (not easy once you get used to the 'push' thing)...
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtab1970
    Last, I uninstalled ChatterEmail completely, and configured VersaMail to pull every 15 minutes.
    By the end of the day (today) I've yet to see the green-arrow-drain issue, my battery is around 60% (as its usually is around this time).

Marc? are you reading this thread?
    Any idea?

I'm off ChatterEmail for now (not easy once you get used to the 'push' thing)...
    No kidding..I will miss it but I deleted it too.

Bek
    I configured my chatter to disconnect when offline and it seems to work just fine (1.0.6.3). My previous beta was definatly causing heat/drain issues.

-X
    Xathros

Just to confirm further, I performed the 1.13 upgrade on my unlocked GSM 650 and have had no battery drain issues. I read this thread with bated breath, afraid that performing the upgrade would cause problems on my fairly problem-free Treo. I use Versamail... no Chatter installed.
    Well I un-installed Chatter 1.0.6.3 and appears to have stopped the bleeding. I was losing power at a rapid rate, even when the Treo was just sitting on my desk and Chatter was in an offline mode and I was doing quicksyncs. For now I will have to stick with Versamail but I am really going to miss the sync capabilities that Chatter provides. If the bleeding starts again, I will re-install it and look for what else could be causing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    I reinstalled update 1.12 over the 1.12 update already on the phone.
    Hi James,

I'm wondering if you might have tried switching to a new battery, and still had the same battery drain problem?

I'm also noticing a faster battery drain myself after the update. I will first try switching to another new battery to see if this helps. If not, then I may resort to your method of reinstalling update 1.12 over 1.12.

Thanks, Casey.
    I dont know if this has been addressed in this thread because i admit i have not read every post...
    But maybe this will help some.
    When I upgraded from 1.03 to 1.08 I had problems with chatter. Eventually I bit the bullet and just did a hard reset and loaded everything from scratch. That solved all of my problems. I am sure that some of the saved prefs I had were not compatible with the new firmware.

Upon upgrading from 1.08 to 1.12 I too began to experience the "drain of death". Although I can not pinpoint it to any app in particular I am sure Chatter was responsible for some of it.

So... three days ago I did a hard reset and re-installed everything from scratch.
    My drain of death is gone. I am consuming @ 3% of the battery with each hour with moderate use (some calls, three accounts with chatter, some internet).

It is still early but the problem seems to be corrected.
    But we all know how fickle these damn Treos can be...
    After redoing the update at 100% I'm on day 2 and battery consumption is minimal.

Again I dont use email applications like chatter or versamail, no bluetooth, IR, nothing. I do check yahoo email several times a day with Xiino web browser.

An interesting note, Like longstrider mentioned, I myself did allow for a full restore on the update. But after the battery drain when I redid the update I pulled all files that are recreated by the system out of the backup folder before restoring, 2 dozen or so files including saved preferences, connection manager, blazer files, carrier profiles and more. Doing it this way I have no battery drain and no resets.

So update on 100% with minimal restore
    Xathros, do you use online mode or offline with quicksync?
    I don't think disconnect when offline is relevant when you use the "push" fuctionality (as that by definition requires always-online).

Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    I configured my chatter to disconnect when offline and it seems to work just fine (1.0.6.3). My previous beta was definatly causing heat/drain issues.

-X
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    Hi James,

I'm wondering if you might have tried switching to a new battery, and still had the same battery drain problem?

Thanks, Casey.
    I have only 1 battery
    James,

Thanks for your reply. I have 2 extra spare batteries in the drawer. I will swap to a brand new battery to see if the battery drain issue continues or not. If it does continue, I will probably re-do the 1.12 update again to see if that helps.

Any guesses whether a brand new battery will help matters any for me? By the way, when I did the 1.12 update, I think I may been been only at 90% full charge, not 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtab1970
    Xathros, do you use online mode or offline with quicksync?
    I don't think disconnect when offline is relevant when you use the "push" fuctionality (as that by definition requires always-online).
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. I have 2 pop accounts and 3 IMAP accounts (none of which support IDLE ) I have them all set offline and configured to qsync every 30mins during the daytime. This allows the net to disconnect after the mail checks. I have used them online but I suffer from chronic weak signal and online mode was problematic like that. I have a hard button assigned to qsync all so if I'm expecting something, it's easy to check between scheduled qsyncs. This configuration is much the same way Versamail works but the chatter interface is soooo much better. I'd love to have true "push" but since I can't achieve that at the moment, running offline is a good alternative. No way I'm going back to versamail.

Hope that answers it.

-X
    Xathros

Quote Originally Posted by amf
    Originally Posted by ink883
    For those with battery drain, did you all make sure to FULLY charge the battary before you ran the update. It seems for the past few treo models (300, 600) after update there are people who notice serious battery drain. It happened to me once when i didn't fully charge the treo before I updated.

There may be some truth to this. P1 instructs us to have a fully charged unit so that when the update takes place and finishes, the battery meter is calibrated at its maximum (fully charged). There is really no logical explanation for P1 to instruct us to have a fully charged unit before the update because they also want us to have the device connected to the cable and charger before performing the update.

If you update with a 95% battery level, the f/w updater assumes that the battery is 100% charged but is actually only 95% charged. This results in an inaccurate battery level (as indicated by the Battery level indicator).

Just my 2 cents worth.

This certainly sounds plausible to me. Assuming this is true, what is the forum's thoughts about charging to 100% (well 99% since 100% green light disappears as soon as you turn it on) and then re-installing the most recent firm update.

Perhaps, this would not work because you can no longer really get to a full charge?
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast