Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    I noticed the quick battery drain and the green arrows which wouldn't turn off. Go to the preferences under Versamail, under connection select autodisconnect. This did it for me. I believe this was a good fix for me because I have it always checking my email.

For those of you who don't have your email being checked all the time (what the hell is wrong with you), I have not found a way of getting blazer to auto-disconnect
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Then you don't have anything to worry about.
    Well, I don't have anything to worry about other than the quicker battery drain...right?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    Well, I don't have anything to worry about other than the quicker battery drain...right?
    If it's not one thing, it's another...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    OMG, I hoped I would have never experience this again from my Treo 300 days, but the dreaded TURBO BATTERY DRAIN back post the 1.12 update!

My battery life has significanly decreased since the update. More specifically, the 650 now seems to engage in active data conection (green arrows on Sprint) for LOOOOONG periods of time for no reason. The typical instance I've experienced is this: pick up my 650 with battery fully topped off in morning, do slight email etc, few calls, nothing much. Within an hour or so I notice that the 650 has gotten very hot in my pocket. I check it and see that an active data connection is going on. By now my battery is down to nearly 50-60% and it's not even an hour!! The only way to stop this is to turn off radio or soft reset!

I don't what the heck is going on. I figure it's probably a backroudn app like Chatter etc. One theory is that the 650 post update makes longer attempts to connect to network and then does not properly cancel active data connections thereafter! This would explain why apps like chatter may be causing Turbo drain problem!

In any case, this sucks and I have had to turn off chatter and only use quicksync feature to maintain battery life.....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Here's my story. After I updated my unlocked GSM Treo 650 to 1.28 firmware / 1.13 software last week, I noticed that when the phone module was on, battery drain seemed faster than before when I was running 1.21. Last night when I accidentally checked Phone Info, I was shocked to see it showing 1.28 firmware and 1.06-5052 software! I don't know how the software version changed back to my previous version but there it was. I ran the updater again (at full charge and with power cord connected) and the phone went back to 1.28/1.13 again. However, the battery meter is now acting crazily. The phone module has been on since morning with several hours of Bluetooth turned on and a few phone calls. Now it's almost 6pm and it still says 99% remaining! Anybody have any idea what's going on here?

KS
    Sorry if this has already been stated, but I didn't see such a reply quickly scanning through this thread. I think the green arrows indicate that you have an established data connection, whether or not you are using the connection. It's kind of like having your PC connected through your DSL connection, even if you are not using your web browser. Similar to what Treomethis said above, you can go to several web-based apps and select the disconnect command from the drop-down menus. The green arrows then disappear. I have an unlocked GSM model running on T-Mobile. I suppose those on other systems could be different.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I don't what the heck is going on. I figure it's probably a backroudn app like Chatter etc. One theory is that the 650 post update makes longer attempts to connect to network and then does not properly cancel active data connections thereafter! This would explain why apps like chatter may be causing Turbo drain problem!

In any case, this sucks and I have had to turn off chatter and only use quicksync feature to maintain battery life.....
    I upgraded to Chatter 1.0.6.3 last night and that seems to have eliminated the constant connection (green arrows) problem and thus any battery problems I was having. I dont know that Chatter was causing the problem though, but the latest version fixed it. Marc put in some code to address the issue.
    MarkY, which phone/service do you have? I ask because I, too, have the latest Chatter version, but the green arrows are always on if I have the connection established, even if Chatter isn't doing anything. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I upgraded to Chatter 1.0.6.3 last night and that seems to have eliminated the constant connection (green arrows) problem and thus any battery problems I was having. I dont know that Chatter was causing the problem though, but the latest version fixed it. Marc put in some code to address the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregb882
    MarkY, which phone/service do you have?
    I'm on Sprint. When you say you have the latest version of Chatter are you talking about 1.0.7rc1 or 1.0.6.3? It is version 1.0.6.3 that has been adjusted for the connection remaining on. Otherwise the two versions are the same, according to the Beta release notes.
    I, too, have noticed the significant battery drain (and the phone gets very warm when it gets down towards the end) since 1.12. I have BT on and IR on (although BT is not discoverable). I had my battery fully charged when I installed 1.12. I have noticed that (the same as some others on this thread) about every 30 seconds or so, my screen and keyboard light up for about 30 seconds, and then go dark (never did that before). I'm positive it's nothing to do with the battery charge indication - something is actually draining the battery. Looks like some application is now waking up the Treo every few minutes and causing drain...I DON'T see the data arrows staying green...they are grey when the phone wakes up. It's got to be some other application that's doing it...confusing, and frustrating...
    Sorry, I just saw your reply. You're right. I used rc1. I'll go to 1.0.6.3 and let you know what I find. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I'm on Sprint. When you say you have the latest version of Chatter are you talking about 1.0.7rc1 or 1.0.6.3? It is version 1.0.6.3 that has been adjusted for the connection remaining on. Otherwise the two versions are the same, according to the Beta release notes.
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    I tested both ChatterEmail 1.0.7rc1 and 1.0.6.3 (1 day each) and with both got the green-arrows-of-death (green->heat->drain) :-(

Now into day-3 tests with no ChatterEmail, only Versamail and auto-download every 30 minutes.

If it still happens it will eliminate CE as the cause (as no other app does data on my Treo).

Will report tomorrow.

BTW: isn't it strange that this thread is relatively quite? I mean if it is related to the update (and update alone) wouldn't many more complain?
    ixtab1970, good observation. Might be cause for more research into what other applications you all have in common on this thread if you eliminate Chatter as the problem. My 650 arrives tomorrow so I have been watching the issues that come up, I didn't order until I had seen that the latest firmware update fixed most of the problems, and it seems in general that the boards have died down a bit with issues. So, I am observing to see what problems people have and what was done to fix them. I am hoping there isn't a battery consumption issue on a 650 without any add on software. If there isn't then it is a matter of adding an application at a time for me until I have a drain problem, then I can just remove that app and try something else to replace it. Good luck!!!
    Oops! Sorry, MarkY. I was incorrect, I just checked the version and it is 1.0.6.3. I really don't remember downloading that one, but I obviously did.

On another thread, mcdan333 posted the following (only quoted the relavent parts to this discussion):

Originally Posted by mcdan333
    I have GSM, and this is what I see:

Green arrows means GPRS-connected, even if no data is actively being sent.
    Black triangle means GPRS available, but not connected.
    No icon means GPRS not available.
    Gray arrows - ain't no such thing.

This matches my conditions exactly so it seems the systems work differently.

Thanks,
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    Note: I have Goodlink...do all of you? Could this be the app that is the culprit?
    I'm not using Goodlink.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    If anything, my battery life has improved with 1.28.
    I'm seeing slightly improved battery life too, and that's after turning BT ON and leaving it on (but not discoverable...I only turn on discoverability to pair.) Hmm...

FWIW, I have an unlocked GSM 650...I normally have Chatter running in IMAP IDLE mode (meaning it's always connected) as well as VeriChat...I don't use network time as I have TreoAlarm do NTP syncs (NTP is more reliable than T-Mobile's clock)...IR is always on, and BT is now.

-SC
    Last edited by roamer1; 06/22/2005 at 07:51 PM.
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    I had to go and buy a car charger for the first time in 3 years. My battery is usually at 70 percent in the evening but the day after the update, at a time I would usually have 70%, I was at 35%.

I have never used bluetooth and it is off, I dont know what DUN is, I dont use chatter or anything like that, I dont use beam and it is off. No good link whatever that is,,,,,nothing,,,,just dictionaries.

I picked up dis.buttons to keep the screen turned off, and kblights to keep the keys off, changed screen on from 3 minutes to 30 seconds. I had the phone off for half of my 8 hour work day, made 3 short calls, used my dictionaries and medical books 20 times, checked email 2 times for 5 minutes each time with Xiino whichhas an easy disconnect. And again I was at 40% when I got off work when I should have been at 70%.

I did originally do the update with the battery at 80%. So just in case I left the phone on the charger for 7 hours the last night and redid the update. Now there seems to be no battery problems, its midday and Im at 92%.

I clocked the connection and the green arrows stayed on for 10 minutes after checking 1 email. Is that the norm????
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    If anything, my battery life has improved with 1.28. That's not to say I get wonderful life - I've never gotten through a day with more than about 30% battery remaining - but I'm now seeing 25% remaining most days where previously 15% was the norm. I run Chatter all day, set to sync my various IMAP accounts at intervals ranging from 15 to 30 minutes, and I turn BT off when I'm not using it. I don't actually use the phone much for voice.
    Update: now that I've spent a few more "normal" days on 1.28, I can report that my battery consumption has improved quite markedly - I'm routinely seeing 40% remaining at the end of the day. Dunno why, but I like it.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Whenever I use 4cast and exit I have the green arrows until I disconnect from the network. I'm on 1.08 with SprintPCS.

My 4cast version probably needs to be updated though.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast