Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    But, does that mean that if you didn't charge for 12 hours the very first time then you are forever ruined, or is it fixable by draining and re-charging?
    The 2200 mAh package also said that maximum power would be achieved after 3 to 5 complete charge and drain cycles. (This seems contrary to the "keep it topped off philosophy" I have seen else where.)

Maybe both are true. Get to maximum power, then keep it topped off.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I *THINK* I may be seeing the same thing, but I'm not getting worried yet. I turned bluetooth off (though discoverable was already set to "off"), and that seemed to help, but before I did it seemed to drain very quickly down to about 80%. No big deal, but that was with no talk time and only two hours after being unplugged, with completely normal routine. I should have still been at 95% at least.

I'm wondering if it's not a calibration issue. This would go hand in hand with the full charge scenario we've been discussing. Let it drain a bit then charge back up fully (may take a couple of cycles) and perhaps things will return to normal. Just theorizing here, but Li-Ion batteries are a lot trickier than NiMh, and I believe they require more "smarts" to properly measure life. Updating the ROM could very easily kill the non-volatile calibration history, if there is such a thing. I'll start worrying next week if I still have the problem. Until then I'm going to bring it down to about 20% (it's not good for a LiIon battery to totally drain), then do a full charge, rinse and repeat...

Otherwise, 1.12 is freaking great! No more funky resets, Versamail *seems* more stable, though it's probably still flakier than Snapper. Definitely better performance. Aiming the cue in Billiards is noticeably faster and smoother too. Must have squashed some serious delays in the ROM somewhere...
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    This is interesting. After playing around with my phone, I turned it off, the screen went blank, and I set it next to me by my computer. A few seconds later, the screen comes on and stays on for my specified "screen on" 2 minute interval with the keygaurd warning showing. No alerts or activity was going on. Happened shortly after my update. I'm sure this type of shinanigan isn't helping my battery life!
    Did the 1.28 upgrade last night on my GSM unit- the Treo was completely charged and kept on the cable all the time. When finished I checked the BT was on and discoverable. IR was also on. Took phone off the cable and left it turned on all night. 8 hours later the meter reads 99%. So 'drain' not a problem with my unit
  5. tmt
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    The 2200 mAh package also said that maximum power would be achieved after 3 to 5 complete charge and drain cycles. (This seems contrary to the "keep it topped off philosophy" I have seen else where.)
    A new Lithium Ion battery should be cycled fully several times to initialize its chemistry. After that, the cells should be pretty much trouble free.
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyMacaroni
    Did the 1.28 upgrade last night on my GSM unit- the Treo was completely charged and kept on the cable all the time. When finished I checked the BT was on and discoverable. IR was also on. Took phone off the cable and left it turned on all night. 8 hours later the meter reads 99%. So 'drain' not a problem with my unit
    You must have a super battery or something. I don't see how it can be on stand-by for 8-hours with BT and IR on and still show 99%?!?!
    you have Wifi? How? this is the holy grail for me

Quote Originally Posted by Produce Her
    I agree. Thanks for the response.

for what it's worth: BT with discovery always on, DUN, reverse DUN and wifi will eat up battery life like nobody's business. wifi in particular will tear through batteries unless you have a sled with its own power source.

Mike
    Ok. This is really strange. For the last two days I have done what you suggested and let my 650 run basically to almost nothing and then recharged overnight entirely. Today, I used it on a couple calls and it basically ran the battery down to 94% after about a total of 5 minutes of calls and sitting at my desk not doing anything for about 4 hours. That didn't seem so bad or strange. On the second call after the screen dimmed while I was talking, when I went to tap the screen to brighten it up and to hit the hang up button (but before I hit that button and only hit the mid of the screen) it caused a soft reset. After the reset, I did the ##377, and it showed that Ringo caused the reset (I just updated it) and now my battery shows at 99% again. I'm just re-called the one I was on with when it reset and had a 7 min. 42 second call and now it shows 96%. Strange.
    Last edited by TheTreoGuy; 06/21/2005 at 02:39 PM.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    TreoGuy -

Mine did the same thing; fast drain, and then going back to 99% after a reset. However, the battery IS draining, because the Treo gets warm. Something is definitely screwed up.
    After the 1.12 upgrade I am also noticing this battery drain. I have noticed the warming treo and the screen staying on as well (randomly - not all the time). A soft reset tends to temporarily fix these things on my Treo.

For now I have begun to schedule a daily soft reset, but it would be nice to figure out what the heck is happening and fix it or remove the offending/incompatible software if that is the cause.
    yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    http://www.lionbattery.com

There was a review by hofo mofo:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=86996

I am now 4 hours into that 12 hour start up charge sequence. I snuck a peek and it's already at 100% (started at 33%). I will see how it goes tomorrow!

9am 06/21/05 It's now been 4 hours since I removed it from the cradle after the 12 hour charge cycle. Started at 99%, is now at 95%.

Cheers, Perry.
    Now 8pm, down to 72%, usually down to 50% at this time of day. It appears the 2200 mAh has the predicted staying power. . . . .

Cheers, Perry
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I think this must be the "green arrows staying on too long" problem. I just witnessed the green arrows that indicate an active data connection staying on for a long time this morning when no data should have been being transmitted. My Treo was a bit warm at the time as well. After a soft reset everything seemed fine. Someone suggested it might be due to Chatter, but I don't have that. I wonder if it's maybe a different program, or something with the Sprint ROM? Has anyone noticed this problem who doesn't have any additional apps on their phone?
    I also noticed the "green arrows staying on too long" after the update for no obvious reason (no data app is running at all), the Treo back becomes a bit warm and battery drops after 30-40 minutes (not to mention the "calls going straight into voicemail" during that time).

This did not happen before the update
    The GPRS Data connection seems to be the culprit in my case.

I hard reset to test things out with no other apps installed. When I leave the GPRS connection tethered (green arrows but not using the device at all) it drains the battery at a highly accelerated rate. I wonder if the device is constantly pinging the server in some way to keep the connection alive. It would definitely explain the green arrows staying alive longer and the rapid depletion of battery power.
    OK. Forgive me for asking, but what/where are the green arrows you are referring to in these posts? I don't see any other than if I am actually in Blazer signed into the Web.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    on the top-right side (next to the battery icon) when you look at the Phone app view.
    They should be gray 99% of the time if you are not doing any data (email, web, etc') but for some strange reason they stay green and drain the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    OK. Forgive me for asking, but what/where are the green arrows you are referring to in these posts? I don't see any other than if I am actually in Blazer signed into the Web.
    Then you don't have anything to worry about.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Has anyone with the battery drain issue ran a clean Treo (hard-reset and don't hotsync or add anything else) to test and see if a 3rd party app is causing the problem. Clearly there are many of us who are not experiencing this problem, perhaps a 3rd party app is incompatable with the new update.

Palmone's instructions indicate some programs will cause trouble post update.
    I've definitely noticed quicker battery drain and also warmer temperatures on phone calls. I think the idea of the BT "Allow wakeup" being defaulted on makes real sense in terms of a cause. Another hypothesis I have is that they may have overclocked the processor a bit--everything does seem a bit snappier. Anyway to check this out (ie, those with clocking utilities)?
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtab1970
    on the top-right side (next to the battery icon) when you look at the Phone app view.
    They should be gray 99% of the time if you are not doing any data (email, web, etc') but for some strange reason they stay green and drain the battery.

According to the manual --those arrows being green mean that there is a data session on going and that you cannot recieve phone calls. It is either a malfunction or something is truly "trying" to transmit. (Could be any of the internet using softwares seeking data or updates. . . . .)

Cheers, Perry
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast