Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    For those with battery drain, did you all make sure to FULLY charge the battary before you ran the update. It seems for the past few treo models (300, 600) after update there are people who notice serious battery drain. It happened to me once when i didn't fully charge the treo before I updated.

That can't be it. I was at about 93% when I updated and why would that cause it from then on to drain more quickly?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    All jokes aside, maybe it's because some of us can actually USE the device to its full potential now? Maybe some of us are using the device a bit more intensively due to a rekindled passion for it?
    I too have been a victim to the fast drain. Just like another poster wrote... it seems like my network arrows stay stuck on green. I did a soft reset and it seems back to normal, but it is still too early to tell if all is good.
    Have not noticed any additional battery drain, but I only use the standard Palm PIMs, VersaMail, VoiceSignal, Docs To Go, HandMark Express, iPedia and some relatively innocent other 3rd party apps. . . . .

but my 2200 mAh is due next week anyway . . . . . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/18/2005 at 08:57 PM.
    Skillllllllllllllllz

My phone drained while sitting on the table.
    Ouch... Does this happen after a hard reset and no 3rd party software too? Its possible some 3rd party apps may conflict with the new bug fixes and may need to be updated to play nice with the new FW. After all, a lot of software needed rigging using various work-arounds for the 650's flaws. If the flaws have since been fixed then those workarounds may end up destabilizing the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    my 2200 mAh is due next week anyway . . . . . . .
    Mine too! I figured this was a good enough excuse to splurge for the 2200.
    I have noticed a somewhat faster drain. Also seem to have green arrows on more. No IR or Bluetooth.
  9. amf
    Originally Posted by ink883
    For those with battery drain, did you all make sure to FULLY charge the battary before you ran the update. It seems for the past few treo models (300, 600) after update there are people who notice serious battery drain. It happened to me once when i didn't fully charge the treo before I updated.

There may be some truth to this. P1 instructs us to have a fully charged unit so that when the update takes place and finishes, the battery meter is calibrated at its maximum (fully charged). There is really no logical explanation for P1 to instruct us to have a fully charged unit before the update because they also want us to have the device connected to the cable and charger before performing the update.

If you update with a 95% battery level, the f/w updater assumes that the battery is 100% charged but is actually only 95% charged. This results in an inaccurate battery level (as indicated by the Battery level indicator).

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Mine was at 99% (never seems to go to 100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wareynolds
    Mine was at 99% (never seems to go to 100%)
    It will go to 100% while charging but the instant you disconnect the charger it goes to 99%.
    Leaving bluetooth on but not discoverable doesn't seem to increase battery drain at all. I am only using bluetooth for syncing right now and don't know if the same will apply with a headset when it is not actively on a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by amf
    Originally Posted by ink883

There may be some truth to this. P1 instructs us to have a fully charged unit so that when the update takes place and finishes, the battery meter is calibrated at its maximum (fully charged). There is really no logical explanation for P1 to instruct us to have a fully charged unit before the update because they also want us to have the device connected to the cable and charger before performing the update.

If you update with a 95% battery level, the f/w updater assumes that the battery is 100% charged but is actually only 95% charged. This results in an inaccurate battery level (as indicated by the Battery level indicator).

Just my 2 cents worth.
    So can we re-update and fix this or once you have updated is it not re-updatable? Wait...if you replace the battery, how does your logic work with the new battery? Or you mean it somehow affected the battery itself?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
  14. amf
    So can we re-update and fix this or once you have updated is it not re-updatable?
    Probably you can re-update w/ a fully charged batt so that the calibration takes place at 100% or 99%. You have nothing to lose I guess. Good luck!
  15. amf
    Wait...if you replace the battery, how does your logic work with the new battery? Or you mean it somehow affected the battery itself?
    No, it does not affect the battery itself. Only the batt level indicator.

Regardless of what battery you use, the important thing I believe is the charge level. The batt should be at 100% because the updater assumes it is at 100% level during the update. The updater then calibrates the batt indicator to 100%.

If the actual battery level is only 90%, the batt level indicator assumes it as 100% ( a diff. of 10%). After the update and through normal use, if the batt indicator shows 95%, it is actually only 85% because of the difference between the actual and assumed levels. You will note that a fully charged battery (99% level after disconnecting the charger) will stay at 99% longer that when it has reached 98% or lower.

If my logic is correct, another way to accurately recalibrate the battery level indicator is to fully charge the batt and then use it (w/o recharging) until it reaches critical voltage (0.01v or when the device turns itself off and refuses to turn on) then recharge. I have succesfully used this method w/ my laptop, iPod and other gadgets w/ li-ion batteries. Thanks!
    Last edited by amf; 06/18/2005 at 10:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    With every update to a treo (300-650) there have always been a group of people who have experience battery drain while others have not. I think there is a correlation between not charging the phone all the way and a battery drain.

See http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...y+drain+update

Post #12 by rc46 describes such an occasion.

There was a long thread as well about this with the treo 300 but I can't find it (i think it was lost long ago when this forum crashed and all the post were lost)
    I just found that if you have dimmer installed and enabled it might turn on the keyboard lights after a few minutes even if the screen is off. Anybody uses dimmer? Any alternatives to dimmer?

Thanks,

Al
    No, it does not affect the battery itself. Only the batt level indicator.

Regardless of what battery you use, the important thing I believe is the charge level. The batt should be at 100% because the updater assumes it is at 100% level during the update. The updater then calibrates the batt indicator to 100%.

If the actual battery level is only 90%, the batt level indicator assumes it as 100% ( a diff. of 10%). After the update and through normal use, if the batt indicator shows 95%, it is actually only 85% because of the difference between the actual and assumed levels. You will note that a fully charged battery (99% level after disconnecting the charger) will stay at 99% longer that when it has reached 98% or lower.

If my logic is correct, another way to accurately recalibrate the battery level indicator is to fully charge the batt and then use it (w/o recharging) until it reaches critical voltage (0.01v or when the device turns itself off and refuses to turn on) then recharge. I have succesfully used this method w/ my laptop, iPod and other gadgets w/ li-ion batteries. Thanks!

hello

While your soluton is sound in my opinion and is appropriate for NMH batteries (not necessarily for the Lilon nor for the T650's indicator) I don't buy that this is the problem.

I do think that leaving BT discoverable is the main culprit.

I'm doing some more testing and I have experienced a faster than level battery drain after having a FULLY charged battery during the update to 1.12.
    I purposely did not charge the battery overnight after doing the update and also left BT on, discoverable and even tried leaving DUN on. I won't leaving that again.

Thanks

Mike
  19. amf
    hello

While your soluton is sound in my opinion and is appropriate for NMH batteries (not necessarily for the Lilon nor for the T650's indicator) I don't buy that this is the problem.

I'm doing some more testing and I have experienced a faster than level battery drain after having a FULLY charged battery during the update to 1.12.
    I purposely did not charge the battery overnight after doing the update and also left BT on, discoverable and even tried leaving DUN on. I won't leaving that again.

Thanks

Mike

The part about re-calibrating the battery status indicator by depleting the battery and then recharging applies to all types of batteries (NiMH, Li-ion, Li-Polymer). This method is in fact mentioned in Apple's knowledge base as a way of re-calibrating the iPod's batt meter.

In my IBM Laptop (model R51, w/ Li-ion Batt), a built in batt conditioner does the same way too (if enabled and running, it wears down the battery up to 3-5% and then recgharges automatically). It is suggested that the app be ran once every 2 mos. to condition the battery and recalibrate the batt meter.

In my previous cellphones, mostly Nokias (the last of which is the 9500), if I find that the battery gets unusually low with normal use, I just follow this method and everything goes back to normal.

You may have also noted that some of those who compalin about their battery getting drained abnormally have their IR and BT disabled. I agree that IR and BT when enabled drains the batt faster but if they are disabled and still the batt drains faster, the IR/BT thing is obviously eliminated in the equation. There is no harm in trying my suggestion.
    hello

Thanks

Mike

The part about re-calibrating the battery status indicator by depleting the battery and then recharging applies to all types of batteries (NiMH, Li-ion, Li-Polymer). This method is in fact mentioned in Apple's knowledge base as a way of re-calibrating the iPod's batt meter.

In my IBM Laptop (model R51, w/ Li-ion Batt), a built in batt conditioner does the same way too (if enabled and running, it wears down the battery up to 3-5% and then recgharges automatically). It is suggested that the app be ran once every 2 mos. to condition the battery and recalibrate the batt meter.

In my previous cellphones, mostly Nokias (the last of which is the 9500), if I find that the battery gets unusually low with normal use, I just follow this method and everything goes back to normal.

You may have also noted that some of those who compalin about their battery getting drained abnormally have their IR and BT disabled. I agree that IR and BT when enabled drains the batt faster but if they are disabled and still the batt drains faster, the IR/BT thing is obviously eliminated in the equation. There is no harm in trying my suggestion.

I agree. Thanks for the response.

As I said, I will do more testing but for now it seems that even those who are sure their battery was fully charged to 100 percent have experienced shorter battery life over a 24 hour period as compared to before updating to 1.12.

I also said I thought your solution was "sound" in my opinion. To clarify, IMO I just do not buy that this problem should be solved by simply purchasing a battery with a higher capacity. I will admit that since I have an extra 650 I kind of do have an extra battery in case this gets to be a problem but I don't carry it and I do understand why someone would want to buy a higher capacity battery. I just don't think that if it is because of the update that we should have to bail on out batteries. if I am understadning you correctly, you don't think that there is anything using more juice but in fact this is the level indicator for the most part.

Are you familiar with how battery conditioners work?

Originally Posted by amf:

"If my logic is correct....

If the actual battery level is only 90%, the batt level indicator assumes it as 100% ( a diff. of 10%). After the update and through normal use, if the batt indicator shows 95%, it is actually only 85% because of the difference between the actual and assumed levels. You will note that a fully charged battery (99% level after disconnecting the charger) will stay at 99% longer that when it has reached 98% or lower."

It is my understanding that users are now finding (since updating to 1.12) that the level indicator itself is showing a lower level (as compared to the samer amount of use over a 12 or 24 hours period) than the level shown after the same 12 or 24 hour period befoe the update.

With your logic, I'm thinking you properly and correctly expressed an explantation with respect to the reason 20% battery level indication with 1.12 would not last as long as the same indication of 20% before the update;
    namely that the 20% with 1.12 is realyl 10% as in your example so it should last for a shorter period of time than the real 20% should.

I'm with you here and also agree that the update left "beam receive" defaulted to ON which was kind of silly. They did that with earlier treo updates as well going back to the treo 300.

for what it's worth: BT with discovery always on, DUN, reverse DUN and wifi will eat up battery life like nobody's business. wifi in particular will tear through batteries unless you have a sled with its own power source.

I should add that many users also saw battery drain issues in december-jan while using custom roms with 1.03. When I went back to SPCS and then updated to 1.08 a few months ago my battery was as good as new. I like your reconditioning and level indicator ideas a lot. I used to be a big fan of battery reconditioning with earlier Apple PowerBooks. I should see if there are still battery conditoners under Mac OS 10.4x. I'm intrigued.

Earlier updates (even the TEO 300 which has its issues!) also had instructions that included making certain the battery was charged to 100 percent.

There is a free demo here if you want to check voltages at different percentages.

http://www.palmcommander.com/

Thanks for your really informative and helpful post.

Mike
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast