Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast
    I recently installedthe update. My battery was almost at 100% as instructed. Now my battery drains to 0% overnight without even having the phone on. This is after a full charge. This is after having fully charged it the night before and only using the phone about 45 minutes during the course of the day. The service was actually off most of the day because I was in an airplane. Then it would not even turn on the next morning until I plugged it in. What is up with that ????

I have not installed any additional apps other than what came with it. BT is on but not discoverable and IR is off.

HELP!
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209
    Hmmm... Does anyone out there have SHSH software's "4Cast" loaded? I just noticed that when i have 4casr refresh the weather, it never releases the data connection. THe green arrows never go away. I reverted to an older version (without "auto-refresh") and the issue seems to have gone away...
    I have 4Cast. You should go to the options in it and choose to have it disconnect after it refreshes. It works great. Also, the newest version of 2Day has added a shortcut to disconnect in case you see you are still connected at any time. I think it is menu D or option D when on the 2Day screen. It's a great program.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    I'm crossing my fingers on this one. Here's what I did last night. Backed up using Backupman. Performed a zero out reset and reinstalled my files one at a time from Backupman. But here's the trick that did it for me. I didn't restore all at once. I divided them in 3 portions, and I excluded CarrierProfiles2, Net Prefs, NetworkDB, NetworkProfiles2 and restored SavedPreference and UnsavedPreference LAST. (I noticed if you install the files all at the same time you lose your network settings and have to restore the network prc's). Now each time I did a portion I did a soft reset and each time I checked to make sure I can connect to the WEB. After all 3 portions were done, then restored the Saved and Unsaved preference and again I checked to make sure I can connect to the web without restoring the network prc's. Here's what I noticed today.

Fully charged at 9am. It's now 6pm and my batter is at 85%. Prior I'm normally down to 70% if not less. I did have to reset once this morning since I noticed the battery dropped to 96% after about an hour. After the reset it went back to 99%. Then it was smooth sailing from there.

Here's another thing I noticed. I went on the WEB earlier this morning and after the page loaded I went back to the phone screen but didnt manually disconnect from vision. A few hours later I checked my phone and the arrows went away. I was automatically disconnected from vision. So to confirm I connected to vision again. Left the phone for a couple of hours and again the arrows went away.

So based on the arrows going away (this is how my phone was with 1.08), I believe my phone is back to normal. I will check again tomorrow. Again crossing my fingers...
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    I'm crossing my fingers on this one. Here's what I did last night. Backed up using Backupman. Performed a zero out reset and reinstalled my files one at a time from Backupman. But here's the trick that did it for me. I didn't restore all at once. I divided them in 3 portions, and I excluded CarrierProfiles2, Net Prefs, NetworkDB, NetworkProfiles2 and restored SavedPreference and UnsavedPreference LAST. (I noticed if you install the files all at the same time you lose your network settings and have to restore the network prc's). Now each time I did a portion I did a soft reset and each time I checked to make sure I can connect to the WEB. After all 3 portions were done, then restored the Saved and Unsaved preference and again I checked to make sure I can connect to the web without restoring the network prc's. Here's what I noticed today.

Fully charged at 9am. It's now 6pm and my batter is at 85%. Prior I'm normally down to 70% if not less. I did have to reset once this morning since I noticed the battery dropped to 96% after about an hour. After the reset it went back to 99%. Then it was smooth sailing from there.

Here's another thing I noticed. I went on the WEB earlier this morning and after the page loaded I went back to the phone screen but didnt manually disconnect from vision. A few hours later I checked my phone and the arrows went away. I was automatically disconnected from vision. So to confirm I connected to vision again. Left the phone for a couple of hours and again the arrows went away.

So based on the arrows going away (this is how my phone was with 1.08), I believe my phone is back to normal. I will check again tomorrow. Again crossing my fingers...
    Any update on whether your Treo is all better now? I was trying to just delete those files you mentioned (except not Carrier Profiles 2...how did you decide which files to delete/exclude?), but when I try to delete NetPrefs it keeps denying me and saying it is a protected database.
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    Any update on whether your Treo is all better now? I was trying to just delete those files you mentioned (except not Carrier Profiles 2...how did you decide which files to delete/exclude?), but when I try to delete NetPrefs it keeps denying me and saying it is a protected database.

So far it's been consistent. End of the WORK day would have 85% left or close to it. The only problem is it goes down to 96% after about an hour and I would have to reset it and it would jump back to 99%. From there it's good the rest of the day.

You shouldnt delete those files since they will delete your network settings. What I meant was when you are restoring, do not include those files to restore.
    So far it's been consistent. End of the WORK day would have 85% left or close to it. The only problem is it goes down to 96% after about an hour and I would have to reset it and it would jump back to 99%. From there it's good the rest of the day.

You shouldnt delete those files since they will delete your network settings. What I meant was when you are restoring, do not include those files to restore.
    I'm confused. At least one person here said they "deleted" these files. You didn't restore them, which is the same effect as deleting them isn't it? Either way the system recreates them I was told here. I am unable to delete Net Prefs because it says the database is locked. I was able to delete the other two files and it seems I am still able to use network. When you say 85% at end of the work day, how much use does that mean it has had in that period of time?
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    I'm confused. At least one person here said they "deleted" these files. You didn't restore them, which is the same effect as deleting them isn't it? Either way the system recreates them I was told here. I am unable to delete Net Prefs because it says the database is locked. I was able to delete the other two files and it seems I am still able to use network. When you say 85% at end of the work day, how much use does that mean it has had in that period of time?
    My procedure is not the same as what the other person mentioned here. Not restoring them is not the same as deleting them. I have tried deleting them before as someone mentioned here but I lost all my network preference and cannot log on to the network, so I do not go that route. But if you want to delete Net Prefs, you will need to use Resco Explorer. Filez wont work.

As far as phone usage. I'm normally at work for 9 hours and rarely use my phone. Maybe a few SMS here and there and maybe once will check email. By the time I leave work the phone will be down to 85%. I also get about 1 signal bar at work.
    My procedure is not the same as what the other person mentioned here. Not restoring them is not the same as deleting them. I have tried deleting them before as someone mentioned here but I lost all my network preference and cannot log on to the network, so I do not go that route. But if you want to delete Net Prefs, you will need to use Resco Explorer. Filez wont work.

As far as phone usage. I'm normally at work for 9 hours and rarely use my phone. Maybe a few SMS here and there and maybe once will check email. By the time I leave work the phone will be down to 85%. I also get about 1 signal bar at work.
    Strange. If you don't restore them it works but if you delete them and they get recreated then it causes trouble? What I'm also trying to decipher with all of this about turbo battery drain is what is considered "normal". For example, I start at 99% and now at 11:30 am (after about 3 hours, checking voicemail for about 1 minute, doing a couple auto-refreshes on the internet of my 4cast weather program in 2Day, and a little bit of loading a few programs but not really using them to do anything much) I am at 96%. It seems to lose about 1% or so every couple minutes I am on a call. Is that normal? If I use the internet, it still keeps the grey arrows on after I go back to phone usage, so I try to remember to use the disconnect option in 2Day.
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Strange. If you don't restore them it works but if you delete them and they get recreated then it causes trouble? What I'm also trying to decipher with all of this about turbo battery drain is what is considered "normal". For example, I start at 99% and now at 11:30 am (after about 3 hours, checking voicemail for about 1 minute, doing a couple auto-refreshes on the internet of my 4cast weather program in 2Day, and a little bit of loading a few programs but not really using them to do anything much) I am at 96%. It seems to lose about 1% or so every couple minutes I am on a call. Is that normal? If I use the internet, it still keeps the grey arrows on after I go back to phone usage, so I try to remember to use the disconnect option in 2Day.
    Your battery drain on usage doesn't seem so bad. As far as battery drain during calls, the battery is rated at about 5 hours talk time. So 99(battery percent) divided by 300 min (5 hrs) = .33% drop per minute. So for every 3 minutes it will drop to about 1%.
    Your battery drain on usage doesn't seem so bad. As far as battery drain during calls, the battery is rated at about 5 hours talk time. So 99(battery percent) divided by 300 min (5 hrs) = .33% drop per minute. So for every 3 minutes it will drop to about 1%.
    Excellent calculations. Today, my battery seems amazing. I've made a couple very short calls (total of 7 minutes to be exact), and used about 2 minutes of internet and checked my calendar a few times and it is still at 94%. Maybe it's back to normal (but I'm not counting on it).
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    It got me again yesterday. My battery was at 60% with the radio off, no alarms were alerting, I always have bluetooth and all the other junk off because I never use that stuff, it was in my locker at work for 4 hours and when I got off the battery was at 20%!!!

It seems to be totally intermittent. Last night same conditions as in the locker, every thing off,,,I only lost 3% overnight.

I stopped checking on this thread because I tried every fix possible, mine and the ones every one else came up with and also because I found out how awesome chatter was and then of course all battery gauging was out the window.

I would just hard reset and run virgin to see if the problem is fixed but the battery drain is so irregular that would be pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    It got me again yesterday. My battery was at 60% with the radio off, no alarms were alerting, I always have bluetooth and all the other junk off because I never use that stuff, it was in my locker at work for 4 hours and when I got off the battery was at 20%!!!

It seems to be totally intermittent. Last night same conditions as in the locker, every thing off,,,I only lost 3% overnight.

I stopped checking on this thread because I tried every fix possible, mine and the ones every one else came up with and also because I found out how awesome chatter was and then of course all battery gauging was out the window.

I would just hard reset and run virgin to see if the problem is fixed but the battery drain is so irregular that would be pointless.
    Did you try khaytsus' method?
    No I had'nt seen that one,,,, but I did hard reset and clean out the backup folder and install only basic prcs and their databases,,,, no settings, preferences, configurations, nothing.

I give up. It only gets me once in a while. I'll just wait for the Treo 670, 700 what ever.

Thanks grandslam
    Had my first battery turbo drain last night. (I have the extra power 2200 battery, so it only went down to 24% from 90ish overnight.)

Did a soft reset and charged, everything seems fine now. The one thing I did different last night was: I did a backup with Backup Buddy VHS and when it was completed and back to the Backup Buddy homescreen, I shut the device off with the red phone button, without having exited to the homescreen or to another software.

I'm with James. Who knows when and why, it is so random. This has me thinking that it could be any software or situation where the phone is shut off before any application has really released itself from the system -- and thus drains the battery until another key stroke or requested activity kicks it out of the way. In this case-- that request did not come until the next morning, after significant battery drain.

Anyway, I am always going to go back to the desktop screen before I power down at night.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 08/11/2005 at 11:17 AM.
    I used backup buddy for a year before I got megalauncher which has a back up utility so I didn't start using backupbuddy again until 2 weeks ago when I got rid of ML. So it probably isn't specifically BB.

But I think I will also return to the home screen before turning off the screen. Thanks for the info Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    ....This has me thinking that it could be any software or situation where the phone is shut off before any application has really released itself from the system -- and thus drains the battery until another key stroke or requested activity kicks it out of the way...
    This is basically what I had suspected almost five weeks ago. I am since convinced that the battery drain issue stems from this but it is not limited to 3rd party apps as I previously assumed. I've since had it happen several times in the messaging app and in the palm launcher as well.

Also, while using the PalmInternals program, I've found strange events queuing themselves and running in the background. The events have "UI" in their name as in "User Interface". These events will randomly appear and will be scheduled to run exactly 5 mins after they appear. The device does nothing I can see once the 5 mins is up. However, the event will be gone from the list as if processed. It's very peculiar and I feel as though this is directly related to the turbo drain.
    Ya,,, what he said
    Sorry Skillllllz, I didn't read back the 50 posts, . . . . . I was responding to James's post about giving up on trying to figure it out and then I had my first turbo drain and thought on what I had just happen.

Does seem like a non-release of the system by an application or the 5 minute background issue you describe. . . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 08/11/2005 at 08:00 PM.
    It's cool, I just felt as though my post was thrown to the side in all the humdrum, when all I was trying to do was point out a piece of the puzzle. I hope that we are right and this ultimately leads to a fix. I love my 650 but this ailment has got me feeling down and out about her. I hope for a cure.
    I cross my fingers for new FW ot the T670,,,, I can do no more fad fixes http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...s/fainting.gif