Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516 LastLast
    Just did a hard reset and today my treo didn't have data/battery drain issues.. will test again tomorrow. For those that experience the drain - you might try a hard reset/reload
    Quote Originally Posted by SamCraig
    Just did a hard reset and today my treo didn't have data/battery drain issues.. will test again tomorrow. For those that experience the drain - you might try a hard reset/reload
    I've tried this as well but no luck. Since I've downgraded to 1.08 I haven't had any of the battery drain with 1.12.
    So after doing a hard reset , reloading 1.12, and manually loading all my apps on Saturday (three days ago), everything seems to be working fine. I changed the name of my Backup folder (inside Program Files\PalmOne\"myname" -where "myname" is your user folder) to Old Backup folder, and when I hotsynced for the first time, it looked like I was a new user with no Backup info. Then reloaded all my apps (PITA).

No more battery drain. I am using Snapper (not Chatter), and all my old apps are in there. I did notice that before I did this, the screen would turn on every 30 seconds or so for about 30 seconds, then turn off. In other words, every minute it would cycle. I wouldn't see any data passing (arrows were grey, not green). I'm sure this was what was causing the battery drain.

Not particularly happy that I wasted most of a nice Saturday, but at least it's working again!
    Have had increased battery drain as well. BT enabled but not discoverable. IR was never enabled. Today at work I totally shut the phone off, and I still went down to 46% in about 10 hours from a full charge. It just so happened that I have a new phone a battery as well (warranty repair). And I had it fully charged up when I ran the update.

I normally charge every night, but this weekend I let the phone run for 60 hours without charging. Snappermail checked e-mail every 30 mins, and not a lot of phonecalls. Battery was real low after that, but there was still juice. So maybe it's the indicator being inaccurate and not the actual battery power.

Hey I'd rather they ship the cradles out first, then worry about this problem. But it sure does look like increased battery drain to me.
    Have any of you found an easy (emphasis on easy) way to disconnect so that the gray arrows aren't showing some type of connection all the time? The only way I have found to do it relatively easilly is to use the choice of disconnect contained in the 4cast plug-in to the 2Day program. That does a great job but I hate having to launch 4cast to do it. I've asked Shimon, the developer of 2Day to integrate that option into his 2Day main interface and he's working on it. For those of you who have 2Day, you might let him know you'd appreciate that also, and for those that don't have it you should check it out as it is truly powerful!
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    I noticed that for me the drain occurs when I leave the device parked in certain apps when turning it off. The other day it had fully charged so I removed it from the charger and started playing the Astraware game called TextTwist. I played one round (basically one minute) and decided to just turn it off and continue the game the later (something I have done a million times pre 1.13 with no problems). My radio was off, BT was off, IR off, no other events scheduled, etc. I picked up the device several hours later and noticed it was warm. I turned it on and it was still sitting in the game like I left it. When I checked the battery level I almost puked. It was down to 30%!! All from just sitting there for a few hours.

I tried reproducing it and it happened again. Since then I haven't had much of a chance to test which other apps do this but I know this is the problem for me. Now when I'm done using it I switch to the phone application and then turn the screen off. By doing this I have had the battery last a lot longer than I have ever seen since 1.13. It's as if by turning off the device while in certain apps keeps the processor busy instead of it going to sleep.

I would love to know which other apps do this and if it happens to anyone elses. Maybe some of you can also try this and share your findings. I have a feeling it's only certain 3rd party apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    Have any of you found an easy (emphasis on easy) way to disconnect so that the gray arrows aren't showing some type of connection all the time?
    prefs>network>disconnect

Or In Xiino web browser just tap the icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen.
    Guys....i decided to try something that seems to have worked like a champ. I figured all of this data useage had to be linked to the network preferences some how. So i decided to say f*** it and try something.

Did a full back up first, so i could restore if needed, but went into Zlaucnher's file manager and deleted three files:

NetPrefs
    NetworkDB
    NetworkProfiles2

After that, did a soft reset to reload everything, and all battery drain issues have stopped. I use chatter in background using push email, averaging 25 to 30 emails a day, and for the last 4 days, at the end of the day, i've still had over 50% battery life left. No more green arrows stuck on all the time.....

I don't kow if this will work for everyone, but it worked flawlessly for me.
    I have been disconnecting from the network after using blazer so I have had no drain issues since but now I am trying chatter out so that's not an option for me anymore. I am new to chatter, can you tell me what it means when you say 'chatter work in background' is this a selected option? I am under the impression that using chatter means that the work in back ground is a given. Is that correct? I have seen references to the term 'idle'? But as far as I can tell there is no setting for how chatter connects, iust always on?
    Set your mailboxes into Offline mode, and set the QSync time for how often you want them synced, otherwise it's always online.
    As khaytsus said. You can set your mailboxes to be offline, and Chatter won't do anything unitl prompted or if you set Qsync times, than it will connect that way.

"Idle" is a term that refers to an IMAP mailbox that is setup with the idle command. It is unlikely that you ahve any control over this setting. But Fastmail, for instance, uses Idle settings on its IMAP server. What this does is basically leaves the email clinet quiet until new mail comes in. Then, it comes out of idle, and "wakes up" your client to let it know new mail has arrived. This is where the push email functionality comes in. Chatter now only checks for mail when it is woken up by the idle command.
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    Guys....i decided to try something that seems to have worked like a champ. I figured all of this data useage had to be linked to the network preferences some how. So i decided to say f*** it and try something.

Did a full back up first, so i could restore if needed, but went into Zlaucnher's file manager and deleted three files:

NetPrefs
    NetworkDB
    NetworkProfiles2

After that, did a soft reset to reload everything, and all battery drain issues have stopped. I use chatter in background using push email, averaging 25 to 30 emails a day, and for the last 4 days, at the end of the day, i've still had over 50% battery life left. No more green arrows stuck on all the time.....

I don't kow if this will work for everyone, but it worked flawlessly for me.
    Don't you need those files? Or do they get re-created? I don't use Chatter or any of these battery hog programs you all are discussing and still seem to lose quite a bit and get the arrows stuck on gray.

By the way, having to go to Preferences to do the disconnect each time isn't an "easy" way. I'm looking for a quick shortcut with a couple keystrokes at most.
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    http://shrug.csl.uiuc.edu/~sachs/palm/reset-netlib/

This program resets the treo's network connection, i have been using it with no issues... You can set it to a hard button if u like... I set it to the side.

Yes those files are recreated.

I use fastmail and I went into chatter and set the mailbox off line. It said off in the lower right hand corner. But the arrows were still there. I can never tell if there red or gray. I went to prefs and disconnected but chatter turned the radio back on. Is there something more I need to do than just setting the mailbox off line?
    OK. Bottom line is it sounds like most of us need to do a hard reset and reload all our apps to fix this maybe. My questions are these then:
    1. Assuming I can't get the calendar on my Treo to hotsync properly, how do I restore it (what files) after the hard reset?
    2. Same question for Contacts and Blazer Bookmarks and Phone Speed Dial favorite buttons.
    3. I saw a few mention something about hard reset, delete from the hotsynced folder and then hotsync, but if you do that don't you risk just re-creating what the problem was in the first place? Can't you just hard reset and restore (from a back up program) a few of the files you need like my calendar, contacts, blazer bookmarks and ??? and not do a hotsync till after you reinstall of the apps again?
    4. I have loads of programs that I moved to my SD card using ZLauncher. If I do this hard reset and re-install, do I have to do that with each program residing on my SD card too?

Ugh.
    Last edited by TheTreoGuy; 07/07/2005 at 07:44 PM.
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    OK. Bottom line is it sounds like most of us need to do a hard reset and reload all our apps to fix this maybe. My questions are these then:
    Before everyone goes through the trouble of this do not be 100% sure it will solve the problem. I went this approach (along with reloading the 1.12 Sprint ROM with a full battery and green charge light) and it cured the battery drain problem for the most part. But in the 2 weeks since I rebuilt my device I have had 2 occasions of turbo battery drain. So, it is better (1 big drain per week vs. 1 big drain daily) but it is not back to normal. I personally think there is something else going on in there and it seems that some of the system settings exascerbate the problem over time.

Of course, YMMV
    Since I upgraded to 1.12 the only change has been a tryout of verichat - which is a cool app but I don't need it in the background so after seeing the battery drain I deleted it. Today I took a road trip for a sales call - 4 hrs up 3hrs back using TomTom GPS. Left with 2 FULLY charged batterys - arrived back with 2 less than 20%. When I say how fast the drain was I just turned on and off the bluetooth and phone as required to save battery power. This pushes usibility issues with me. I think the only alternative is going back to 1.08.
  18.    #238  
    Ok well i am getting a new phone from sprint next week because the keys on my keyboard started to break so i will let everyone know if the new phones are doing it too.
    "Someone call the Whambulance"
    Photo Blog
    My Space
    Quote Originally Posted by rsprouse
    Before everyone goes through the trouble of this do not be 100% sure it will solve the problem. I went this approach (along with reloading the 1.12 Sprint ROM with a full battery and green charge light) and it cured the battery drain problem for the most part. But in the 2 weeks since I rebuilt my device I have had 2 occasions of turbo battery drain. So, it is better (1 big drain per week vs. 1 big drain daily) but it is not back to normal. I personally think there is something else going on in there and it seems that some of the system settings exascerbate the problem over time.

Of course, YMMV
    I agree totally.
    I hard reset, reinstalled the 1.12 with my phone at 100%, reinstalled every program i use from scratch, turned off bluetooth and infared, blah blah blah...

It is sporadic... it will be fine for a week, and then out of the blue, very randomly the network arrows will get "stuck" at green and my phone will drain extremely fast. I will usually have to reset my phone a few times to get it back to normal.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    So here's my scene... I am experiencing turbo drain on my SPCS T650 with 1.12 and I have the darn thing off! How can it be draining by looking for the Internet or due to data transfer if the phone is off??
    I have noticed that I get pop-ups with it asking me if I want to change the daylight savings settings (?) from time to time and randomly the other day I clicked on the phone button, it showed the date as January 1, ???? (can't remember the year, but whatever the default year is). I assume that's somehow related, but not sure exactly how.

This is frusterating.