1.    #1  
    Just successfully loaded the new 1.12 firmware and now my phone ONLY works with a headset! All other speakers are off.

I was already experienceing no external speaker with RealPlayer but the ear piece speaker and the speaker phone both worked.

After the firmware upgrade no speaker of any kind works ... except for the headset. I do not own a BT headset yet .. that would be nice right now.

I really don't like the headset but my phone is useless without it at this point.

I am inclined to drive over to the Sprint store (vs.) calling the help desk?

I tried downloaded the new Freedom 2.x and was able to get RealPlayer working on the external speaker (I have been living with this problem for months), but I couldn't get the phone speaker (ear piece or speakerphone) to work.

Mike
    You have the bad earpiece jack hardware problem. The ROM update detects whether there is an earpiece connect and then does not give you the speaker button option. Basically, it thinks there is an earpiece plugged in when there is not. This is a hardware issue that has been documented in several other threads here. You are going to need to replace the phone.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder.com
    You have the bad earpiece jack hardware problem. The ROM update detects whether there is an earpiece connect and then does not give you the speaker button option. Basically, it thinks there is an earpiece plugged in when there is not. This is a hardware issue that has been documented in several other threads here. You are going to need to replace the phone.
    Statcoder,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, I agree, but before the firmware upgrade the speakerphone option would come and go as a headset was plugged and unplugged. This did not follow the scenario of the earpiece jack hardware described elsewhere so I always thought it was a different problem I had and jsut related to the non phone external speaker?

At this point I am going to treat it as a hardware problem and see how good Sprint customer service is!

Mike
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    I had this same problem after dropping my phone. palmOne did advanced exchange for $27.