1.    #1  
    Sprint is having a big promotion in town today and there was a Regional Sprint rep there with his 650. He asked me what firmware version I was using and told him 1.08 and he told me to head to the web as the new one should be out. Talked about the update for a while, nothing earthshattering to report. But he WAS very familier with the 650 and all the issues with versalmail, the calling delay and so forth, was trying to get me interested in Express and Good Link. His phone was a 650 and he was very knowlegable. So big deal to that point

BUT...

Then we started talking about ED-VO, I said great, but it was my understanding it would not work on my 650. He pause and in a rather hushed and conspirital manner, said that although he had heard confliciting reports early on, the techies he has talked to said that "adjustments can be made" so that ED-VO will work with existing 650's and it was his understanding that was the plan.

Not sure if the "adjustments" he was talking about are to the 650 firmware or the ED-VO system, but he seemed like he knew what he was talking about and there was no adgenda with me, I already have the phone. Clear from the way he talked about it, he wanted it on his 650 for sure.

All FWIW of course

Mods, delete the "Ed" post from me, computer hic-upped and that poped up there somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    He pause and in a rather hushed and conspirital manner, said that although he had heard confliciting reports early on, the techies he has talked to said that "adjustments can be made" so that ED-VO will work with existing 650's and it was his understanding that was the plan.
    That sounds a little contradictory to what others have posted here before. I thought evdo required a different type of hardware setup (radio) than the 1rx? system that is in the 650 now.

However, they they could change the evdo system on sprints end...that would be cool.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

3.    #3  
    /\/\ Well, with Sprint I will believe it when I see it, but it was better than bad news /\ /\
    Last edited by midmofan; 06/17/2005 at 02:20 PM.
    /\/\ Well, with Sprint I will believe it when I see it, but it was better than no news /\ /\
    All the carriers pretty much are the same when it comes to promising something...they have to keep us guessing.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    All the carriers pretty much are the same when it comes to promising something...they have to keep us guessing.
    I normally agree with that, in this case, however, he was not trying to sell me something and was clearly as much of a "fan" as I was.
    I normally agree with that, in this case, however, he was not trying to sell me something and was clearly as much of a "fan" as I was.
    Sorry, I didnt mean that HE was doing anything malicious. I was referring to the fact that the carriers know WE are watching everything they do and love it when a new rumor comes out about a new service or phone. I think their marketing execs probably count on it

7.    #7  
    And also in the FWIW department, this guy could not stand the call delay, said it drove him nuts. He was also going to go out and buy Volume Control and TreoAlarm as soon as he saw them on my 650. Was funny talking to a Sprint guy that was acting like one of "us"
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    It's EV-DO, btw.
    It wouldn't be possible without a CDMA chipset upgrade to the phone.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    And also in the FWIW department, this guy could not stand the call delay, said it drove him nuts. He was also going to go out and buy Volume Control and TreoAlarm as soon as he saw them on my 650. Was funny talking to a Sprint guy that was acting like one of "us"
    What is this "Volume Control" you speak of? Is it an app?
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews
    It wouldn't be possible without a CDMA chipset upgrade to the phone.
    Yup...I agree. Sounds like this guy either didn't know what he was talking about or was blowing a lot of smoke up your....
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    I love good rumors.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

FWIW, I am a Sprint guy and I AM one of "us"
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobh
    yup
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    I'll bet money the Treo 650 does not now, nor will it ever support EV-DO, or even ED-VO.
    Quick, lets start a rumor of a Treo 651 that does EV-DO.
    Even if the 650 could support evdo (it cant) it would need other upgrades to make it worth while. 1xrtt speeds are already more than the 650 can handle. That is why a ppc660x runs circles around it in regards to download speeds and web browsing.

Give us a 500mhz processor first, and then evdo...

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Given the number of credible reports we've received, indicating that the 650 is not EVDO hardware, I'd guess there's a much more likely explanation to the story from this sprint rep.

The sprint PPC6600 IS hardware compatible with EVDO, but needs a rom upgrade and a prl upgrade for EVDO. I'll bet he's heard rumors about devices (such as the PPC6600) getting that upgrade and he's mistakenly (but honestly) assumed it applied to the 650.

Pete
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobh
    Sorry, its "volumecare" from gibson. I like it a lot, well worth the $9 for me and the Rep thought is was great too.

As for the Rep., hope he is right but i'm not counting on it. More likely IMO that the next Treo is capable.