1.    #1  
    This question got lost in the GSM update threads, so I decided the start one with just this one questions - if you have a Cingular-branded phone and upgraded the firmware with one of the ROW (GSM unbranded) betas, how do you get it back to a Cingular-branded firmware? Or can you?

Inquiring minds want to know...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Burried in one of the threads was a comment that you couldn't, but then speculation of the possibility of stepping back to 1.23 then going w/ the Cingular 1.28 when it comes out. But this is pure speculaltion and even Shadowmite has said you can't go back.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  3.    #3  
    It seems like you cant go back unless you figure out an upgrade method that does not check the current firmware you have loaded. Cingular users that loaded any of the betas overwrote their Cingular-branded firmware, so now the phone looks like an unbranded GSM phone (with the exception that its locked to Cingular). For the Cingular 1.28 update to work on them, the version check would need to be bypassed, something that maybe could be done when coverting the install to an SD-card based install. People much smarter than me are going to have to figure this one out...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    Burried in one of the threads was a comment that you couldn't, but then speculation of the possibility of stepping back to 1.23 then going w/ the Cingular 1.28 when it comes out. But this is pure speculaltion and even Shadowmite has said you can't go back.
    I don't think that will do.

You can upgrade from CNG ROM to 1.21/1.23 ROW because the 1.21/1.23 is beta version and doesn't check the brand. And then you can upgrade from 1.21/1.23 (a ROW version) to 1.28 (another ROW version).

But I'm pretty sure that the future official CNG ROM can only be installed over CNG ROM, which means you cannot installed it even you roll back to 1.21/1.23 first.

Well, maybe there will be some unofficial way. Nobody knows for sure now.