1.    #1  
    I have installed the DUN hack and everything works fine except for the modem driver. I don't have any access to the PROPER Verizon Modem driver for the T650 on OS X. All that is available is the Sprint PCS Vision or PC5220 from Verizon. Does anyone know of any and if so where I can find it ?

Thanks in advance.
  2. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInfo
    I have installed the DUN hack and everything works fine except for the modem driver. I don't have any access to the PROPER Verizon Modem driver for the T650 on OS X. All that is available is the Sprint PCS Vision or PC5220 from Verizon. Does anyone know of any and if so where I can find it ?

Thanks in advance.
    I'm new to the Treo, but I have always had success using the Sprint Vision driver with my v710, and I didn't have to change any settings to get it to work with the Treo. I've only had the Treo a few days, but DUN seems to be working OK with the Sprint driver too. I spent forever trying to find a reliable Verizon driver, but the Sprint one seems the most stable.
    What is this DUN hack that you speak of? I would love to be able to use my 650 as a bluetooth modem for my powerbook, but I don't get any services in the bluetooth prefs on my mac and I don't see any options on the treo for dialing or data. Any help?

BTW, I'm on VZN.

thanks,
    kurt
    Can anyone refer me to some basic instructions for getting this to work? I found one for Sprint, but nothing for VZN.

thanks,
    Kurt
    I use the Verizon PC5520 (or whatever) that was included with Tiger and it works great. What kind of problems are you having?
    I'm having the same problem.

It sees the 650 device, pairs, then the iSync, addressbook, and internet connection options are grayed and I get a message: "There were no supported services found on your mobile phone."

I have also tried using Browse Device. A bluetooth connection in progress message is displayed in my phone, and again the message: "device does not have the necessary services."

Then I tried going through Internet Connect using the Verizon Support PC5220 option. Got the message: "Could not open the communication device."

If anyone knows how to use this device as a modem via bluetooth, I would love to hear how you do it.

Thanks!
    I'm on OS10.3.9 if that makes a difference.
    I'm interested in this as well.

I'm considering upgrading to the 650 and want to figure out if the DUN hack will work with OS X (10.3.9) and Verizon.
    Well, I'm stuck in the same place. This is what I've done, on my OS X 10.4 powerbook:
    Here's the steps I've done so far, in case anyone else can't get this far. But I do suspect it's a modem script problem.

--- Part A: Treo hack ---
    1. Download Shadowmite's hacked BtManager.prc to my Mac.
    1(b)- because of funny settings from the web server, rename downloaded file from BtManager.verizon.prc.txt to BtManager.verizon.prc.
    2. Soft reset the Treo 650, for a clean start.
    3. Disable any programs that use the network connection, e.g. Chattermail.
    4. Drag-and-drop BtManager.verizon.prc onto Bluetooth File Exchange.
    4(b) send file to the Treo.
    4(c) accept the file and agree to replace the existing app.
    5. Open the new Bluetooth application on the Treo
    5(b) Turn on Bluetooth DUN, accept the warnings.

---- Part B: Mac Setup ----
    1. Open Bluetooth preference pane.
    1(b) in Devices pane, delete the existing connection to the Treo.
    2.Click 'Set up new device...'
    2(b) Choose 'mobile phone'
    2(c) Select the Treo
    2(d) Enter the pairing password
    2(e) Select Access The Internet service.
    2(f) Enter the network settings:

Username: 2015551212@vzw3g.com, where the digits are my cellular number
    Password: vzw
    Phone Number: #777
    Modem Script: Sprint PCS Vision

3. Set up network port: Click on 'Sharing' tab
    [ this step may not be necesssary for other people ]
    3(b) Click 'Add Serial Port Service'
    3(c) Rename to 'BluetoothDUN' or the like
    3(d) Set Type: Modem, and turn on 'Show in Network Preferences'

4. Network Preferences
    4(a) Open Network preference pane
    4(b) Click to configure BluetoothDUN
    4(c) Under PPP, click PPP Options...
    4(d) Turn ON PPP echo packets, and OFF TCP/IP header compression

---- Part C: Attempt to Dial -----
    1. Open Internet Connect
    1(b) Select BluetoothDUN
    1(c) Click 'Connect'

I always get this result:
    Contacting PPP Server... (for about 20 seconds)
    then 'A modem problem occurred.'
    Also, a followup: I turned on 'verbose logging' in PPP options, and the following is the (not particularly informative) transcript of a connection attempt, from the log file /var/log/ppp.log:
    Wed Jul 27 14:42:54 2005 : setting the port speed to 230K
    Wed Jul 27 14:42:54 2005 : CCLWrite : ATZ\13
    Wed Jul 27 14:43:06 2005 : resetting the modem using DTR
    Wed Jul 27 14:43:16 2005 : setting the port speed to 56K
    Wed Jul 27 14:43:16 2005 : CCLWrite : ATZ\13
    Wed Jul 27 14:43:28 2005 : resetting the modem using DTR
    Wed Jul 27 14:43:38 2005 : setting the port speed to 56K
    Wed Jul 27 14:43:38 2005 : CCLWrite : ATZ\13
    Wed Jul 27 14:43:50 2005 : Connect script failed
    Okay, I got it working! These were my steps:
    1. Remove cruddy old Bluetooth configuration that seems to have been fouling things up.
    1(a)In the Terminal, type:
    sudo rm /var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist
    1(b) Reboot the Mac.

2. Download the modem script '1_VZW_Generic_1X_ON_230400' from the maccellphone Yahoo! group:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/maccel...dem%20Scripts/

You'll need to join the group to download the file. Or, I've mirrored the file here (but this may go away):
    http://aaron.harnly.net/files/1_VZW_..._ON_230400.zip

2(b) Unzip and put the script in /Library/Modem Scripts/
    2(c) Quit and reopen System Preferences if you have it open already.

3. Follow the directions as above, but select this '1_VZW_Generic_1X_ON_230400' script.

4. Connect and enjoy!
    Do I get charged minutes for this or is considered data usage (which I have as unlimited)?

kurt
    hi, i followed all instruction for downloading and installing the DUN hack and i still can't seem to get an option for dialup on bluetooth setup on my 650...

any help??

thanks.
    kman, you don't change the data setup on the Treo at all -- as far as Verizon knows, you're using the Treo just like you would with Blazer. So if you have National Access data plan set up, that's how it'll be counted.

monicanation, when you accepted the file on the Treo, did you agree to replace the existing version? If you didn't see any such warning, then perhaps your download was corrupted.
    Mithras---I am so close, but still unable to make a connection. Like you, I get the "modem problem" error. Can you be more specific about removing the bluetooth configuration? When I try to enter "sudo rm /var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist" into the terminal, I get a message from the "system administrator" that I should 1. respect the privacy of others 2. Think before you type 3. With great power comes great responsiblility. --- then I'm told to enter a password. I presume that means i should enter the administrator password for my computer. But before I do and run the risk of messing things up...I want to double check: are you putting a space between rm and / that is --is it sudo rm (space) /var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist or is it sudo rm/var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist ????? I have never messed with the terminal before and it I want to make sure I get it right before I make a big mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by monicanation
    hi, i followed all instruction for downloading and installing the DUN hack and i still can't seem to get an option for dialup on bluetooth setup on my 650...

any help??

thanks.
    I found that if transfer the shadowmite hack via Bluetooth it does NOT work for me (OS 10.4 Tiger). I could transfer the file that way but I did not get the DUN option on my Bluetooth setup screen on the 650. I had to copy the file directly to my SD card using an SD card reader plugged into the Mac's USB port, then put the SD card back in the 650, then using FileZ move the file from the SD card to the 650's main memory. That worked. Apparently for some of us, some file information is compromised when transported via Bluetooth. Other files, like .mp3s, transfer and work just fine for me via Bluetooth.