1.    #1  
    Will we have to wait for months on it?

1) Can I flash my phone with the new firmware from PalmOne?

2) If I do this, will it void my warranty?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrlb
    Will we have to wait for months on it?
    Probably not.

1) Can I flash my phone with the new firmware from PalmOne?
    Not directly. You'll have to upgrade to one of the beta releases (1.21 or 1.23) first; then you can flash the 1.28 upgrade.

2) If I do this, will it void my warranty?
    Can't say...I'll let one of the Cingular users handle that one.
    My question is, can I ever get back to Cingular firmware if I need to send my phone back? That is the only thing stopping me from going ROW.
    Just got off the phone with them... They said that the update is being worked on and they have no date for release...
    I think people need to be patient. Some are screwing up their Treo's trying to install the unlocked GSM firmware because there Cingular Treo was unlocked with a code after they got it. That's not how it works. Those who are frantic are the first ones to post on this board saying that something's not working on their Treo. In my opinion, that's what they get for being frantic. If they are rolling out these updates, the Cingular one is next, so we just need to wait. I am anxious for it to, but not to the point of destroying a $600 device or making it inoperatable.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    I think people need to be patient. Some are screwing up their Treo's trying to install the unlocked GSM firmware because there Cingular Treo was unlocked with a code after they got it. That's not how it works. Those who are frantic are the first ones to post on this board saying that something's not working on their Treo. In my opinion, that's what they get for being frantic. If they are rolling out these updates, the Cingular one is next, so we just need to wait. I am anxious for it to, but not to the point of destroying a $600 device or making it inoperatable.
    I would tend to agree with you...but since so many other people updated theirs with the ROW beta and did not seem to have any issues, I took the plunge and did the dual upgrade last night..updated to 1.23 then to 1.28 without a hitch.

Thats not to say that some people are not going to have an issue, it is just that I did not...take it with a grain a salt

rob
    I am a Cingular customer and see no point in waiting for them to customize the 1.28ROW firmware. My upgrade was very easy, but I started from a Cingular phone that was unlocked and running the 1.23Beta code.

I actually like the ROW software better then the Cingular software because there are fewer extras which I do need.

I must say that the 1.28 release is working great! Overall response seems faster and volume seems louder. I also use VolumeCare with all the input and output setttings on MAX which helps too.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  8. agi
    If I do a custom ROM out of 1.28 (without languages and Real Player, etc) when you do the update to 1.28 will you get overwritten with them again?

Thanks!
    [QUOTE=swieder]I am a Cingular customer and see no point in waiting for them to customize the 1.28ROW firmware. My upgrade was very easy, but I started from a Cingular phone that was unlocked and running the 1.23Beta code.
    QUOTE]

Is there any way to go back to the Cingular fw if you ever need to?
    [QUOTE=Tonylmiller]
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    I am a Cingular customer and see no point in waiting for them to customize the 1.28ROW firmware. My upgrade was very easy, but I started from a Cingular phone that was unlocked and running the 1.23Beta code.
    QUOTE]

Is there any way to go back to the Cingular fw if you ever need to?
    I dont know if I can go back and I really don't care. If I happen to need my Treo replaced then I would probably setup an advanced replacement. I don;t tnink Cingular will care what they get back from me as long as I continue to use them as my carrier.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)