1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

I've been messing with getting my bluetooth stuff working with reverse dun and it has been a freakin nightmare. I think 99% of the problem is that the bluetooth device I have (D-Link DBT-120) is either a piece of junk, or mine doesn't work correctly. I gave up and bought PDANet to use with the USB cable.

It works sooooooo easily that the $40 is worth it. I just plug it in and it works. No hassle or anything. It'd be nice if the $50 Bluetooth adapter worked, but at least I've got it goin.

Anyone want a barely used bluetooth adapter?

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S
    Hey guys,

I've been messing with getting my bluetooth stuff working with reverse dun and it has been a freakin nightmare. I think 99% of the problem is that the bluetooth device I have (D-Link DBT-120) is either a piece of junk, or mine doesn't work correctly. I gave up and bought PDANet to use with the USB cable.

It works sooooooo easily that the $40 is worth it. I just plug it in and it works. No hassle or anything. It'd be nice if the $50 Bluetooth adapter worked, but at least I've got it goin.

Anyone want a barely used bluetooth adapter?

Mike
    You can still enable your program to work with Bluetooth. Works great when you are sitting in an airport waiting for a flight. I messed with the old DUN updater from Shadowmite and could never get it to work. I still can't get the new Sprint update to work with my Bluetooth adapter. I think it is the Belkin software. I can make the HotSynch and PDANet work fine, but have spent hours trying different combinations to get the DUN working.

Maybe I need a new adapter?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    mine looked like it died, but it was a BT setting issue on the pc side.

PDANet via BT works great. I was in a meeting and had to email an associate - nobody even knew what I was up to. Tkaes a couple tries to get the setting right.
    pabo: How does the speed compare between BT and cable on PDANet? I mean on an actual speed test.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I haven't actually tested it (do you have a link for this) but understand that the throughput from Cingular is the limiting factor, not the BT throughput.

Subjectively, I haven't seen any real difference cable vs BT.
    Guess PDANet is going to take it on the chin now that 1.12 is out. (Assuming DUN works)
  8.    #8  
    I think my issue is entirely based on my PC's bluetooth adapter. I could never get BT hotsync to work reliably and though I have gotten reverse DUN to work, it was unbelievably inconsistent and didn't work much more than it did. I think my BT adapter is defective. It turns itself on and off a lot and I haven't been able to make it connect at all lately...

Oh well, now that I've got LANSync working and I bought PDA net I have the basic functions I need without BT. Maybe I'll buy a different adapter for my laptop sometime...
    Haven't installed the 1.12 update yet, but I do use PDANet and a Dlink DBT-120 adaptor, somewhat successfully...

I found out a couple things...

1. You must use the original CD that came with the DBT-120 to install the BT drivers. DO NOT try to look for an update to those drivers, they will NOT work with the BT-120.

2.After you install the drivers from the CD, you have rebooted and your DBT-120 is plugged in, you should verify in DEVICE MANAGER that your PC is looking at the correct BT drivers for the DBT-120...Under Bluetooth Devices in device manager, click the plus to the left and verify that the driver is "D-Link DBT 120 USB Bluetooth Adaptor"...if not, select it & you will have to reboot...After doing this, you can then successfully use your DBT-120...

3. First thing you want to do is pair your DBT120 with your Treo...make the computer a trusted device on your computer and your computer a trusted device on your treo.

4. Do a hotsync via the cable (this will make sure there are no big files to synch when you do your first BT hotsynch).

5. Set up a Bluetooth Serial Port (if you haven't already done so)...do this by double clicking the blue B in your system tray. It will essentially create something like "COM5" and during this time you will have to be paired with your handheld.

6. Click once on the hotsynch manager icon in your system tray, select Setup and the Local tab...There select the com port you just created in Bluetooth setup. Click on ok and exit out of the HotSynch setup...

7. Click once on the hotsynch manager icon in the system tray again and make sure that there is a checkmark next to Local.

8, On the Treo, press your home key, choose HotSync from the "All" category and in the dropdown list select the BT connection you created when you paired the devices.

9. Click the HotSYnc icon and your Treo should connect to the computer via the DBT-120 adaptor & perform a hotsync....\\

THis is just the basics of doing it, I may have left something out as I am pretty much going from memory and a little help from looking at my notebook...There is an article on D-Link's website that describes connecting a Tungsten T5 to the DBT-120, which may prove useful to treo owners. (See http://support.dlink.com/SupportFAQ/...%2D120%5FrevB4)

Once you have successfully hotsynched via BT, your next step is to get PDA net working...On the PC you need to go to the PDANet icon in the system tray and single-click it. Click the Allow Bluetooth (COMxx) to put a checkmark by it (this will give you a warning message that you will not be able to hotsynch while it is selected--whenever you want to hotsynch, you will have to disable it). Now, go to the PDA net on your handheld. Under Port, select Bluetooth. Then click on the Connect button and you should connect to your laptop, and a PDANet session should begin.

If you have any trouble doing this, post here, and I'll try to help you out