1.    #1  
    OK, OK, I know there have been multiple threads about the best Palm personal finance software, but my question's a little different:

If I was to purchase BOTH Palm OS and PC (Windows) personal finance products, what would you recommend, based on features, ease of use (including synchronization), cost and expected satisfaction in the long run (updates, support, transfer to tax software, etc.)?

On previous threads I've seen people laud the Ultrasoft Money/MS Money combination as well as the Pocket Quicken/desktop Quicken combo. Should I base my decision purely on price?

MS Money 2001 Standard is on sale for $9.99 (after rebates) at Circuit City this week and Quicken 2001 Basic seems to be selling for $29.95 (know of any sales or rebates?).

Ultrasoft Money 2.0 Pocket Edition costs $34.95, and Handango has a special combo offer of the pocket edition with MS Money Standard for $59.95 (which ends up being $49.95 after the MS $10 rebate). So I can get the "Money" combo for somewhere between $45 and $50 after rebates.

Pocket Quicken costs $39.95 and I'm unaware of any combo specials with the desktop Quicken, so the "Quicken" combo looks like it will cost about $70.

And what about QMate or other Palm OS products that could possibly be combined with a desktop product?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Mark

[Edited by MarkN on 10-18-2000 at 11:33 PM]
  2. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Mark,

I use Quicken 99 and Qmate. I have been very pleased, but Qmate does not directly sync with Quicken. It takes a two step process of sync, then import. I have found that this isn't bad, but I do wish I could directly sync. I like the interface on Qmate enough better than Pocket Quicken to justify not switching. Also, Qmate is only $20 to register instead of $40 for Pocket Quicken.

I have not ever used MS Money. Their is supposed to be a very nice program for the Palm that syncs with Money. I'm sure that Money operates similar to Quicken, but there has to some program that I buy that is not from MS!!

Stephen
  3.    #3  
    Stephen - thanks for the suggestion, but I'll have to say that I really like the idea of one-step updates.

I went ahead and purchased MS Money because of the great deal ($29.99 - $10 instant rebate - $10 mail-in rebate). I've downloaded the 30-day trial of Ultrasoft Money and I'll see how it goes. If I don't fall in love with it, I may try QMate, which can transfer .qif files with either Quicken or MS Money via the two-step process that Stephen referred to. My concern with QMate is that it hasn't been updated since February and when I read the user reviews in PalmGear, people say that their emails to the developer are going unanswered.

For those of you interested in the costs of the choices, I've seen Pocket Quicken on sale for $30, but that still makes the "Quicken" combo's total cost = $60, whereas the "Money" combo will cost me about $47 including tax (BTW, I believe CompUSA is running basically the same instant rebate special for MS Money this week). I guess the lowest cost combination could be QMate and the MS Money rebate deal, a total of $30 plus tax - the same as what you would pay for Pocket Quicken alone (on sale).

Still would like others' opinions. I'll update my experience for those of you following this thread.

Mark
  4. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Originally posted by MarkN
    My concern with QMate is that it hasn't been updated since February and when I read the user reviews in PalmGear, people say that their emails to the developer are going unanswered.
    That is very interesting about Steve not responding to emails. When I downloaded the program back in December or earlier, one of the biggest compliments about Qmate was how responsive he was to his users. Sounds like he may have given up on the product. I think you made a good decision. I am interested about how you like MS Money. If the Ultrasoft Money and Money combo works well, I may think about switching.

Stephen
    I've been using the M$/Ultrasoft Money combo since I got my Visor back in April.I absolutely love and recommend both products.When Money 2001 first came out, I rushed to
    upgrade and wasn't able to sync with my Vdx for a month until Ultrasoft v2 came out.Made me realize how much I enjoyed being able to enter transactions on the fly.For me, the main reason I got either product was to get better orginzed financially, and I'm very satisfied with the results.I went from never balancing my checkbook, to knowing exactly where my money is going.As far as support goes, I've never needed any, but I do check in on the newsgroup that the developer set up, and he seems good about addressing any issues in a quick manner.OK, getting off my soapbox now.Should have stuck with my first answer, which was "This program ROCKS, dude!"
    "I sync, therefore I am."