Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    I updated mine too....
    Cingular-branded GSM phone, but was purchased as 'unlocked' from eBay.
    1. First I ran BBVFS, then removed my SIM card and my SC card.
    2. Made a backup of my user directory under c:\program files\palm\{me}
    3. Then I tried it Palm's way...but it didn't really work for me...the firmware version didn't change, and it left behind all it's files it installed that it was supposed to delete.
    4. I did a hard reset, and deleted the live copy of my user directory: c:\program files\palm\{me}
    5. Hotsynced, got my name back on there
    6. Ran the Treoupdater and followed the directions.
    7. Once it was all done, I put my SIM and SD card back in.
    8. I restored using BBVFS
    9. From Palm Desktop, I deleted my user acct (I tried to use my old backup user directory, but it didn't like that...oh well)
    10. Hotsynced

As you can see from the pix, I gained about 4MB. I don't hear much difference in th volumes yet. But....Peace of mind.
    Oh YEAH!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Did the update using the alternate method and got into a reset loop after restoring my original user. I did a system reset which stopped the reset loop. I remember seeing some sort of message about ZLauncher during the restore but the log simply says "Restore synchronization failed". Not terribly helpful.

It does seem that the volume is better in some regards but the speakerphone is still not loud enough to be useful. <edit>Using Real Player the volume must be turned almost all the way down so I guess there is more difference than I realized.</edit>

I went from 3.5MB to 9.8MB of available memory. Not great but anything helps.
    Last edited by TxDot; 06/17/2005 at 09:16 AM.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I'm trying to free up memory on my Treo 650... I used to use Scribbleout to delete my contacts and calendar databases, but that program doesn't work on the Treo 650. Does anyone know a program that will delete the calendar and contacts databases?
    On the PalmOne website, it suggests that some units may already have the upgrade. I'm wondering if one purchases a new unlocked GSM version if PalmOne is shipping them already updated. After returning four units because of the call volume issue, I've just taken the leap and ordered one. It would be great if the updated firmware is already in place.

Here's hoping that I finally, finally, finally get to keep the Treo.
    David
    I was on Cingular Support Chat. The rep stated the unlock GSM update is not for legacy ATTWS Treo 650. The rep has no target release date either.
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    I'm trying to free up memory on my Treo 650... I used to use Scribbleout to delete my contacts and calendar databases, but that program doesn't work on the Treo 650. Does anyone know a program that will delete the calendar and contacts databases?
    Install FileZ and delete the following files:

AddressDB
    ContactsDB-PAdd
    DatebookDB
    CalendarDB-PDat
    ToDoDB
    TasksDB-PTod
    MemoDB
    MemosDB-PMem
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by conum
    I have an unlocked gsm treo650.
    Made the upgrade as described on the palmone-page without the second hotsync (after the upgrade of treo, I restored my data with BackupBuddyVFS3.2RC2). All works like before, but I have 6.4 MB more Memory.
    At last, I opened PalmDesktop and deleted the TempUser.
    Dude, where did you get this version of BackupBuddyVFS? The only version available on the site is v3.07. Does it resolve the dbCache issues that exist in v3.07? I have found with v3.07 after a backup the Treo can get somewhat sluggish or becomes sugglish shortly after which eventually requires a reset to eleviate. If this version addresses that, where can I get a copy?
    I am very pleased.

I spent about an hour updating Express and Documents-To-Go on the old firmware.. I also use good. I had such low memory (Less and 2mb free), that I had to install each of the programs one component at a time then moving them to the SD card.

After all progs were up to date i made a backup using backupman 5.4.

Then I simply followed the directions for the alternate backup on palmOne's website.

Long story short.... long a careful....

I went from less than 2mb free to over 6.8mb free

also the sound is greatly improved.

overall I am very pleased
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninKSB
    Dude, where did you get this version of BackupBuddyVFS? The only version available on the site is v3.07. Does it resolve the dbCache issues that exist in v3.07? I have found with v3.07 after a backup the Treo can get somewhat sluggish or becomes sugglish shortly after which eventually requires a reset to eleviate. If this version addresses that, where can I get a copy?
    See May 5 news on http://www.bluenomad.com/ -- it says 3.1, but the linked file is 3.2.
    Pilot Pro > 2Mb+IrDA upgrade > Clie T615C > Treo 650
    I just upgraded a Unlocked GSM Treo from 1.23 (SD method) to the offical installer. Took an hour from start to end but everything is good now! went from about 2bm free to 6.3mb free (i'll take that!). I haven't made any calls yet but as soon as i do i'll report any changes.

Hotsync is a joke... it failed to restore all the files so i just relied on my backup using backup man!

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninKSB

I have BackupBuddy VFS 3.1 RC2. I am pretty sure that I got it from the BlueNomad web site.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I did the "alternative method" and it went great. Went from 6 megs to 15 megs, and it seems like I get better coverage/more bars, although that may just be my imagination.

One thing bad appeared to happen though. My battery monitor hasn't moved off 99% even though it was full when I went through the procedure. Any suggestions?
    I just recieved a replacment phone from Palm on Friday....they are still shipping out 1.15 on the replacement phone I recieved.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    A word of warning to Intellisync users: Go into the Intellisync settings and uncheck the sync preferences. If you don't Hotsync will try and reinstall your contacts, calendar, etc. while you upgrade the firmware. What happens? You get the dread loop and have to do a hard reset. That's what happened to me.

I had 16.9 megs free, but that didn't make a difference.

So -- if you have any third party conduits make sure that they are disabled before you try to update the firmware.

--Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    I just upgraded a Unlocked GSM Treo from 1.23 (SD method) to the offical installer. Took an hour from start to end but everything is good now! went from about 2bm free to 6.3mb free (i'll take that!).
    Upgraded from 1.14, went from 2.3Mb to 9.6Mb. I guess it depends on the software installed on the Treo. For example, STRIP's database file shrinked from over 1Mb on 1.14 to 113Kb on 1.28 (same file takes 49Kb on my Clie T615C).

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Hotsync is a joke... it failed to restore all the files so i just relied on my backup using backup man!
    Same here. Used BackupMan to get everything back.
    Pilot Pro > 2Mb+IrDA upgrade > Clie T615C > Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Probably not. There is always memory to be gained from doing a hard reset and restoring. A lot of temp files get deleted. The file system improvements in 1.21 and 1.28 seem to be the same.
    I forced BB to back up everything, yes temp files two. All present and accounted for after restore. :-) And I already have Blazer set to clear cache on exit, so it's not that either.
    My experience was mixed. It took way longer than 30 minutes because I had to Hotsync about 20 times before it worked (I think this was due to conduits which I eventually disabled). Free memory went from about 5 to 12.5! When I restored my apps and data, not everything came back perfectly for some reason. And now XpressMail, which used to work great, crashes every time I try to sync an account.

Full details at:

http://marc.abramowitz.info/archives...-firmware-128/
    http://marc.abramowitz.info/treo-650/
    Treo 650 GSM unlocked, firmware 01.71, software 1.20-ENA
    Cingular with MEdia Net Unlimited ($24.95)
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Thanks.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msabramo
    My experience was mixed. It took way longer than 30 minutes because I had to Hotsync about 20 times before it worked (I think this was due to conduits which I eventually disabled). Free memory went from about 5 to 12.5! When I restored my apps and data, not everything came back perfectly for some reason. And now XpressMail, which used to work great, crashes every time I try to sync an account.

Full details at:

http://marc.abramowitz.info/archives...-firmware-128/
    I was using Xpressmail before the update and it still works as expected after the update. I went to your site and read your notes. It sounds to me like a number of your preferences got corrupted during the various hotsync interruptions. I suggest you try to re-install Xpressmail (you might want to consider deleting from the Treo first so that, hopefully, any lingering corrupt preferences will not be removed).

Good Luck.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast