Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Ok, just ran the update, and had some major problems.

After I restored from a hotsync, I was in a reset loop. Did a warm reset, then got a reset from running ZLauncher. Figured out that I could get ZLauncher to work if I took my SD card out, but still need to figure out my reset loop problem. I also could not turn on the radio when I've done the warm reset. That kinda scared me. I tracked the resets down to Fonts4os5, and also ProfileCare. After I disabled these apps, a bunch of applications disappeared from my ZLauncher tabs (but they're still all there in the "ALL" tab). Did a restore using my backup utility, and for now it looks like all is well.

So I guess the lesson here is watch out for Fonts4os5 and ProfileCare causing problems.

EDIT: BTW I did get both of those apps working after I disabled them and enabled them again.
    Running 1.05 Fimware, 1.04 software over here. Cingular Locked GSM. Has anyone upgraded straight from this? if so can you send me a msg on how? do you have to upgrade to anything before upgrading to the new ROW? Or should I get it unlocked by cingular first? Thanks for any info, can't wait to upgrade..

-Cody
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Also lost CC Lite account info and Holidays database.
    The hotsync restore is lame.
    I restored from my BB VFS backup of immediately before the upgrade and all is fine. Even NotePad was restored. I just toggled through all of my apps and they all work.
    Will test phone functions tomorrow...
    using missing sync. I can't get the software to install properly. I am getting out of memory errors. Who can help?
    Having a rather bitter taste at using Hotsync to always install applications, I had a good look at the 44 files in the download. Oh look! All our familiar friends from the SD install -- but all in one directory this time. I copied these to a separate folder on my SD card (using Mac and media reader), inserted card, ran one last backup, turned off radio, copied 44 files to RAM.

Of course, there's no auto-start... but looking at the executibles, I easily recalled that the very first step of the SD install was device customization! So ran the customizer and watched the now familiar process do it's thing.

The one part I forgot to do was remove the SD and SIM. So i just re-seated them after the phone finished it's restart cycle and I did basic language, keyboard, and screen config. Finally, restored from backup and we're back online. Whole process took under 10 minutes. NICE.

FWIW, I was doing a trial of BackupBuddyVFS... and the completeness of the restore -- much more complete than my past trials with HotSync -- has proven it's well worth the investment. Good job, guys!

I was running at just shy of 16MB free RAM before upgarde, and now (with same data) have nearly 17MB. I should also note that I was running firmware 1.21 (1.06ROW), so there seems to have been additional memory improvement since the beta releases! Nice.

Phone behavior seems much the same as 1.21. But one thing I've immediately noticed is that it no longer takes me two or three presses of the hard keys to wake the device from sleep.

BT headset volume seems unchanged from 1.21, but speakerphone output does seem cleaner. I found that I had to turn it down one or two notches to avoid excess hissing -- but it was still quite loud enough to use for a good sized room of 8 people even then. But now I only detect very slight hiss at maximum volume (in a quiet room). So there seems incremental improvement here, too, over the beta releases.

All in all, I'm quite impressed. Time will tell if stability has improved, too... but I'm sure there will be many reports of that as time goes.

*doing my happy firmware upgrade dance*

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by codywalker
    Running 1.05 Fimware, 1.04 software over here. Cingular Locked GSM. Has anyone upgraded straight from this? if so can you send me a msg on how? do you have to upgrade to anything before upgrading to the new ROW? Or should I get it unlocked by cingular first? Thanks for any info, can't wait to upgrade..
    I've read reports of success when folks first installed a beta release (1.21 or 1.23 are common) and then applied this update. Note that doing this will lose all Cingular software customizations (like email). It will not unlock your phone. It will also make you unsupportable by Cingular... in case you experienced actual support from them at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    using missing sync. I can't get the software to install properly. I am getting out of memory errors. Who can help?
    You. Save your last backup somewhere safe -- especially if using Hotsync or similar. Delete some of the larger DB's or applications from the device. Then attempt syncing the upgrade back to the Treo. I found that even when ZLauncher reported over 16MB of RAM available, I still had to dlete a few 500K files before I got all 44 upgrades files to fit.
  8. iso
    Just installed the update for unlocked GSM. All seems fine except, DateBk5 causes instant reset at every initiation. Could this indicate possible compatability issue with new firmware and some 3.party apps?

(My suspicion is also based on the notes regarding this on the PalmOne instruction site. )

Anyone else encounter this DateBk5 issue?

Christian
    I have a cingular locked treo running FW 1.23 adn was wondering if this update will work on my treo. Thanks a lot in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by LMBvideography
    I have a cingular locked treo running FW 1.23 adn was wondering if this update will work on my treo. Thanks a lot in advance.
    Others have already posted that if you've already been running the beta firmware this will install over the top just fine. It won't install directly over 1.05, though, as I understand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by whidden
    So I guess the lesson here is watch out for Fonts4os5 and ProfileCare causing problems.

EDIT: BTW I did get both of those apps working after I disabled them and enabled them again.
    I didnt have any problem with ProfileCare. I used a user name called Upgrade for hotsync and restored via sd card. No problem whatsoever. Unfortunately, the db cache bug is still around. Palmone just increase the db cache to prolong the time it takes for the device to reset under normal use.
    Quote Originally Posted by iso
    Just installed the update for unlocked GSM. All seems fine except, DateBk5 causes instant reset at every initiation. Could this indicate possible compatability issue with new firmware and some 3.party apps?

(My suspicion is also based on the notes regarding this on the PalmOne instruction site. )

Anyone else encounter this DateBk5 issue?

Christian
    I have datebk5 installed and have no issues with it. I restored data via sd card
    Just got back from work trip, great news,hoho
    After all this time it seems they will never be able to fix this. I've read somewhere that its the hardware that has a problem and not just the os. The same manufacturer had memory problems for a ppc device too. (Please correct me if Im wrong about this but Im sure I read about it somewhere)

So what did this upgrade really fix? Well I have gone thru 1.15, 1.21 and 1.23. So far, the only good thing about 1.28 is the increased amount of db cache available. I used to have 4 to 5 mb. With this upgrade, it starts at 7mb. The amount of db cache doesnt deplete as fast too. But if I backup or launch a game with a big file size, the next big app I launch may probably soft reset the device. There are work arounds to prevent this , dont launch the big apps or backup ;-) At least I wont be having resets that often anymore. Glad to have ProfileCare installed, Treo's scheduled to reset every 6am .(It also increases mic, headset, speaker volume) Thanks for the work around Palmone but we need a real fix to a real problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    I upgraded using missing sync without any problem. I used the alternate method:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...pecial_dl.html

for devices with less than 15 MB of free memory (you have to scroll down to the Mac bit). Hopefully it will solve you memory probs.

Good luck!

BTW, step 9 in the palmOne protocol is different with MS (the protocol is designed for the palmOne sync software). To create a new user ('temp' or whatever) click on the pulldown menu next to 'Current Handheld', click on 'Edit Handhelds' and then 'New', enter a name and click OK.
    Just finished upgrading form 1.23 on a LOCKED GSM and everything went perfect. lost about 1 meg but gained tons of speed switching between apps. thats all i can see for now, thanks
    hmm I have a Cingular Locked Treo 650.
    I have the 1.23 Beta running 1.04 Cingular Software.

Tried the new update, didn't work after the hotsync said it was not compatible with this device.

I'm going to hard reset and try it again.

EDIT: Doesn't work for me. Help.

EDIT #2: Ok, I went from 1.23 Beta to 1.15 Beta, and the phone says it's ROW, so Hopefully this new firmware will work on it now that it thinks it's ROW and not CNG.... IT WORKED.. THe update is running now!!!!!

EDIT #3: Yep it definately worked, I'm running Firmware 01.28 with Software Treo650-1.13-ROW
    Last edited by nXt; 06/17/2005 at 05:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I have an unlocked gsm treo650.
    Made the upgrade as described on the palmone-page without the second hotsync (after the upgrade of treo, I restored my data with BackupBuddyVFS3.2RC2). All works like before, but I have 6.4 MB more Memory.
    At last, I opened PalmDesktop and deleted the TempUser.
    Just upgraded my LOCKED GSM CINGULAR from the 1.04 or 1.05 that it came with all the way up to 1.23. I'm gonna write a new post, search for it at "HOWTO: upgrade Locked Cingular GSM" many thanks to taroliw for the walk-through. feel free to IM me or send me email with any questions.. I asked really dumb ones just to be sure.

HOWTO: upgrade Locked Cingular GSM
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...511#post711511

Aim: Hockiebuff
    email: codywalker@gmail.com

-Cody
    Last edited by codywalker; 06/17/2005 at 05:47 AM.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by conum
    I have an unlocked gsm treo650.
    Made the upgrade as described on the palmone-page without the second hotsync (after the upgrade of treo, I restored my data with BackupBuddyVFS3.2RC2). All works like before, but I have 6.4 MB more Memory.
    At last, I opened PalmDesktop and deleted the TempUser.
    I have "only" 4.5MB more free, because ViaMichelin had to be reinstalled, which obviously needs some of the "internal" memory.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast