1.    #1  
    With sadness, I am coming to believe that the Treo 650, the king of converged devices, is a failure - not just in execution but conceptually. Putting functions together in one box makes sense when the functions are synergistic. The clock radio, invented in the 1950's, embodied that ideal. Since then, most attempts to do more than one thing have been failures when compared to best-of-breed single-purpose devices. Examples abound, among kitchen equipment, exercise gear, woodworking tools, and so forth.

My wife's cell phone, which she got "free" from VZW, is much more reliable than my 650. Aside from freezes and resets, if I use the Internet too much - such as enabling the push features in Chatter and other email systems - my callers can't get through. That's a ridiculous situation, and not fixable with today's CDMA technology, practical voip on a handheld being several years away.

My wife's free phone also has a robust contact list, which can be downloaded and kept in sync with her Outlook contacts. Not quite as elegant as Treo contact list dialing, but pretty good.

So what's the argument for suffering with this thing? It seems to come down to one-box-to-carry. But is that really such a big deal? Bilateral symmetry being what it is in homo sapiens, we've each got two hips. Clip a great phone to one and a great wireless PDA to the other, and your life is back in balance!

Thoughts?
    Bilateral symmetry? Why not just bifurcate your brain as well.

Your main complaint, lack of phone contact while on the net, is a pure CDMA problem. Trust me, I used my former Sprint service with a Dell x50v (and yes, that in itself is a pain in the podicum because Sprint REFUSES to support any bluetooth phones, so you need a cable to maintain your bilateral symmetry), and it too locked out incoming calls. So that's no solution either.

Cingular (GSM) is much better as it always stops my internet connection in favor of delivering my incoming call; BUT, that does terminate what you were doing. So the problem is NOT with the hardware, but the infancy of voice/data networks at this point.

Are there better phones than the Treo 650; without a doubt (in fact, the Moto v551 that I got with my new Cingular service has a far superior phone), But once you truly get converged, you'll never go back to the old days where you "left behind" the old PDA in favor of only one device in your pocket or on your hip.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    In my case, when I am out of the office, which happens a fair amount, I very rarely have to use my laptop. With Snapper Mail, I can pick up and reply to most of my email from the Treo. I use the PIM functions when out as well, use Handmark Express to check movies, look up phone numbers, address, etc., read the news while at lunch. I use the browser for such mundane things as trying to remember what actor was in a particular movie, which if I can't think of the answer, will bug me all evening.
    For me, the list of why I find this technology a must is almost endless.
    I have the opposite experience.

There are many times when my phone is still working and my wifes loses signal and drops the call.

I also use an external antenna when I am in the car, I prefer the Wilson Electronics due to the great signal strength I gain when I plug it in.

I have the nice adaptor that snaps right in to the back and waa laa, clear solid signal.

For those that want even more, Wilson makes an amplifier for the antenna for the most remote connections.

I am very happy with the 650 and I consider it a large step up over what I have used in the past. Remember, we all started with the bag phone!!!!
    I don't know about you, but that was not reliable!
    Unlocked -1.51---117-CNG
    Handspring Deluxe w/phone->Treo 180->Treo 650
  5.    #5  
    "Your main complaint, lack of phone contact while on the net, is a pure CDMA problem. "

I know, but CDMA is all I have available. In any case, it's not my main complaint; I've got a hundred things to whine about. That was just the first example that came to mind. The others have all been endlessly been explored on this forum, so I won't rehash them.

"For me, the list of why I find this technology a must is almost endless."

Me too, but all of the functions you list are attributes of a wireless PDA. There's no need to strap a mediocre phone onto it to get all of those benefits.

"...we all started with the bag phone!!!! I don't know about you, but that was not reliable!"

I applaud the huge step forward in engineering and human factor design of the Treo, from the 270 on up. Comparing it to the past, it's a huge success. I'm saying something different: compare it to its current competition, removing the constraint that everything has to be in one case.

"Why not just bifurcate your brain as well."

I hope that's not a hostile comment. And, if it is, I hope you don't own a scalpel.
    Sorry... Can't relate.

I'll admit I had a shaky start when I first got my Treo, and this is without doing any extensive research beforehand. Resets were a common occurence the first week or two.

But after having it for close to five months now, I have over 26 apps installed and it's as stable as ever. I'm loving it.

Count me in with those who will not go back to two seperate devices.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    I'm still on the fence...... I love carrying only once device. I can even deal with the random resets. I'm having a tougher time dealing with the signal strenght/quality.

As mentioned somewhere else on this board, there are five Verizon phones in our family share, plus one work Blackberry, plus one work phone for my wife.

Seven devices, six different mods. Lining 'em all up on a table in my kitchen the five "regular" phones and the Blackberry have either all bars or one short of full. The 650 has 1-2 bars - and it's my second unit 'cause I thought the first was defective.

I can use any othe phone in the basement like it's a cordless. The 650 is 50/50.

I wish someone could interpret all of the stuff in the debug screen (#*#33284 dial) to see what is going on under the hood.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Whatever path one chooses to take, converged device or a cell phone / PDA combination, there are some things one will have to give up. I've used a Sprint (CDMA) Treo 650 before. The signal strength was always outstanding. I used it in Southern California (Anaheim, Santa Ana etc) and in the area where I live (San Francisco Bay Area).

I've also used the unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile. It's great that it is a quad-band device. As for signal strength, I found it to be quite outstanding most places. I finally sent back my 650, but not because of any issues with PalmOne's implementation of convergence, but because of low volume on the calls. That was absolutely frustating. However, I maintain that apart from that issue, the Treo 650 is the best of the converged devices out there.
    David