Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So is version 5 (for North America) officially out now? I managed to obtain a copy of the V5 Canadian maps, definitely an improvement but I'm looking forward to the application update more than the maps.
  2.    #22  
    well now with the 1.28 fm, my baby seems to be working a whole lot better...so now I am ready...BRING IT ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by jewps
    So is version 5 (for North America) officially out now? I managed to obtain a copy of the V5 Canadian maps, definitely an improvement but I'm looking forward to the application update more than the maps.
    not yet...supposedly by the end of the month...Semsons took my order for it (at V4 pricing) and is just waiting to receive them from TT.
    Ahh darn, I thought I read somewhere (gpspassion) V5 for NA/USA should be out on the 18th. The maps definitely are out though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewps
    Ahh darn, I thought I read somewhere (gpspassion) V5 for NA/USA should be out on the 18th. The maps definitely are out though.

See here...http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=85225.

Where do you see that the new maps are available?
    My Nav 5 will be here Thursday. I am hoping it works well, I am leaving Saturday for Europe.
    yup..the 18th was the latest released date they had told vendors (after missing several release dates over the last 2 months)...from some message it sounded like it was slipping out a little more..not sure.

cglaguna,

where did you order from? Do you have a shipment confirmation?...from what I heard it did not ship to resellers on the 18th as they had planned so they are still waiting for it to come out...hopefully you will get it though (I'm leaving 7/3 and hoping to have it also)

-Steve
    Anybody know if there will be a "Software Only" package available for us slobs who already have a Bluetooth GPS ? This was available for Navigator 2004, but I don't see any reference to it for Navigator 5 (for the United States).

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk
    Anybody know if there will be a "Software Only" package available for us slobs who already have a Bluetooth GPS ? This was available for Navigator 2004, but I don't see any reference to it for Navigator 5 (for the United States).

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Yes, it is being released the second week in July.
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    yup..the 18th was the latest released date they had told vendors (after missing several release dates over the last 2 months)...from some message it sounded like it was slipping out a little more..not sure.

cglaguna,

where did you order from? Do you have a shipment confirmation?...from what I heard it did not ship to resellers on the 18th as they had planned so they are still waiting for it to come out...hopefully you will get it though (I'm leaving 7/3 and hoping to have it also)

-Steve
    Because of my Europe trip and inability to get my hands on anything (NAV 4). And after Mobile Planet refused to do a dropship with me and TomTom, I called TomTom and begged them to ship direct to me. They reluctantly agreed, but they just got the Nav 5 Combo Packs (With GPS) at the distribution center themselves on Friday. Software only and European Maps are projected the 2nd week in July. I am using European Maps for GOGO and transfering them onto the SD card manually. Yes, finally confirmation, for Thursday.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Yes, it is being released the second week in July.
    Thanks for the info! I may have to buy it. Mapopolis just isn't cutting it for me.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
  12. gaf
    After reading much of the info on this forum, it would appear that TomTom (5) is about the best solution. But, since I am a Linux user, the TomTom software installation is a problem for me since it is Windows only.

I was concerned about Chickenhawk's comment that Mapopolis is not cutting it for him. Can some of you elaborate.

Also, the people at Mapopolis told me that the GlobalSat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS is one of the best tested units with the Treo650.
    I was concerned about Chickenhawk's comment that Mapopolis is not cutting it for him. Can some of you elaborate.
    Some people love Mapopolis, gaf. It's a good product and does a lot of things well.

My complaints (which are typical complaints) are mainly in the areas of Mapopolis map management and trip routing.

Map Management: Mapopolis' maps are based on county. Texas has hundreds of counties. If I want the entire state of Texas to be seen by Mapopolis while traveling I put them all in the same directory. When so many maps are being used by Mapopolis it takes a LONG time to start the product, and if you try to generate a route it'll reset your Treo every time. Mapopolis says to put a limited number of maps in the active directory and use their "Major Roads" maps to connect the dots. This makes it your responsibility to figure out which county maps you need for a trip, and when you are between counties you only have access to the Major Roads stuff which means no street level maps if you make a stop.

TomTom has none of this nonsense.

Trip Routing: Suffice to say that with Mapopolis it takes along time, might cause your Treo to reset, and (like I said above) it's up to you to figure out what maps you need.

TomTom has fast trip routing.

Caveats to above: (1) My knowledge of TomTom comes entirely from reading on this forum. I haven't used it yet. But I've read enough stories (as well as the TomTom doc on their site) to feel confident in these points. (2) Mapopolis keeps promising to fix these issues, but they haven't seen the light of day yet for the Treo 650.

Hope this helps,
    ChickenHawk
  14. gaf
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk

My complaints (which are typical complaints) are mainly in the areas of Mapopolis map management and trip routing.
    <snip>

TomTom has none of this nonsense.

Hope this helps,
    ChickenHawk
    Thanks. I think you answered my question. BTW: You can download and try mapopolis in demo mode. The maps expire after 9 days.

As a Linux user my major issue with TomTom is installation and updates. They apparently support only Windows for this. I can certainly live with the Mapopolis county scheme, but if I can install TomTom, I will probably use it.

Jerry
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    When a call comes in, a window pops up asking if you want to answer the call or not.
    Tap on the "No" choice and the window goes away and you are still using TomTom.
    If you chose "Yes", TomTom goes away immediately and the normal call in progress screen comes up. Once you hang up, you must then go to the apps and choose Navagator. But the good news is that once you are back in Navagator, it automatically updates your position and you are back in business without having to enter the destination again.
    Okay...a slight variation on the above response.

I finally got my Treo 650 to work with my car's built-in bluetooth. So let's say I get TomTom Nav 5, and am using it as well. If a call comes in, and I select answer it when that window pops up on the Treo, will it still transfer to my car's speakers via bluetooth? Or will I have to talk on the phone itself?

Thanks in advance for any responses...
    Quote Originally Posted by TREOpalooza
    See here...http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=85225.

Where do you see that the new maps are available?

If I said where I obtained them it would violate the rules of this forum. Trust me they are available. I have the new maps for Canada and the US, which works with V4

-----

I think what ChickenHawk is missing out of all those points for Mapopolis is the crappy interface. Trying to do a search within Mapopolis probably takes as long as driving to the destination. Heres what I mean, I'm looking for 3890 Hasting St. You can't type that into Mapopolis because you can only search by Places, Street, Location , etc.. If you were lucky enough to find it the first time, chances are the Treo will crash because it doesn't have enough ram to keep track of the info.. Doh!

I use the BT338 with TomTom and it works well after you get used to its quirks. THe biggest issue with it (or any BT GPS for that matter) is that the Bluetooth selection menu doesn't always come up so the only way to get TomTom connected to the GPS is either have the GPS locate a fix before launching the app or wait, wait and wait till the selection menu comes up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    Okay...a slight variation on the above response.

I finally got my Treo 650 to work with my car's built-in bluetooth. So let's say I get TomTom Nav 5, and am using it as well. If a call comes in, and I select answer it when that window pops up on the Treo, will it still transfer to my car's speakers via bluetooth? Or will I have to talk on the phone itself?

Thanks in advance for any responses...
    Don't know if you found your answer elsewhere, but see my post #2 here http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=90544.
    Hi

I have just purchased and loaded tomtom navagator 5 on to my imate sp5 but the graphics do not appear on the phone just a mass of colours.
    Can anyone advise please.

Thanks
    Uhmm...this would be a Treo forum. Might not be the best place to find imate help.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12