1.    #1  
    This issue has probably already been covered but I am a new T650 (Sprint) owner and was a T600 (T-Mo) user and the 650 is sooo much slower in regards to dialing contacts or anything regarding dialing from an icon (ie. voicemail icon). I end up hitting the contact but not sure that it took, so I hit the center button again so then it starts dialing and then hangs up. Is it just me? I am thinking of returning it. Is the 650 really that much slower? I had read so many posts of people saying that once they moved from the 600 to 650 they would never go back. Could this be a CDMA vs GSM version thing? What are your thoughts?
    This has been posted about a LOT. My understanding is that it has to do with the way the new memory structure it. It has nothing to do with whether the phone is GSM or CDMA.
    It has to do with the new memory setup (stupid), and problems with the phone not connecting. It is very annoying to deal with (especially on Cingular) when the phone refuses to connect.

Hopefully the new firmware will solve the "not able to connect" problem.

The memory architecture of the 650 and the new OS is flawed. Maybe Palm One will get it right with the next device.

When you are dialing a call with a BT coupled headset, the GSM 650 fails 1 in 5 times.

My old Treo 600 on Sprint was never this annoying. There are a lot less compaints about the CDMA Treo's on TC. I hope P1 and Cingular release some new firmware soon. This thing is not usable as a realiable phone right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    When you are dialing a call with a BT coupled headset, the GSM 650 fails 1 in 5 times.
    Maybe this depends on the brand of your BT headset. I have no problem with my Motorola HS820.

Also, the delay when dialing has been discussed many times in this forum, and the consensus is that it affects CDMA Treos only. I have had both CDMA and GSM, and I know dialing is much quicker on my unlocked GSM Treo. Of course the GSM model has other problems of its own, but dialing speed is not one of them.
    Last edited by mcdan333; 06/16/2005 at 10:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    This might be a bit odd, but I never noticed this on my 600 (sprint), and I don't notice it with the 650 (Cingular, but it's a p1 unlocked). My friend has a 650 (sprint), and it happens to him all the time. Haven't checked firmware and all of that yet.
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    This has been posted about a LOT. My understanding is that it has to do with the way the new memory structure it. It has nothing to do with whether the phone is GSM or CDMA.
    It is pretty frustrating... I am serisouly considering going back to the 600. Has this been fixed on any of the 650s???
    Quote Originally Posted by the worm
    It is pretty frustrating... I am serisouly considering going back to the 600. Has this been fixed on any of the 650s???
    I am not trying to flame you but...did you research any of this before you bought the 650?

There are other reasons why I havent upgraded yet from the 600 but I have read about them and decided for myself.

If the 650 isnt what you wanted, are you still within your trial period so that you can return it? That or you could sell it here in the marketplace or on ebay. They seem to be going for about $450 on ebay.

It seems a lot of 650 users have been able to handle the issues with the phone because of the added benefits. You have to decide this for yourself.

Good luck.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I am not trying to flame you but...did you research any of this before you bought the 650?

There are other reasons why I havent upgraded yet from the 600 but I have read about them and decided for myself.

If the 650 isnt what you wanted, are you still within your trial period so that you can return it? That or you could sell it here in the marketplace or on ebay. They seem to be going for about $450 on ebay.

It seems a lot of 650 users have been able to handle the issues with the phone because of the added benefits. You have to decide this for yourself.

Good luck.
    I actually did quite a bit of reading but never thought it would be this bad in practice. Yes I can return it but was just wondering if this was the case w/ 650s across the board or just certain providers, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by the worm
    I actually did quite a bit of reading but never thought it would be this bad in practice. Yes I can return it but was just wondering if this was the case w/ 650s across the board or just certain providers, etc.
    I don't know if its providers as much as whether its CDMA or GSM. McDan said that its a CDMA thing. Maybe you might switch if you can to an unlocked GSM phone?
  10.    #10  
    Saved by the new Sprint Firmware... now the 650 is responding like the 600! Hooray!